July's find of the month voting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July's find of the month voting.

Win lose or draw I want to commend both of these members for being the only brave soles who stepped up to the plate this month.
    #1 Kentucky point
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44288.jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.3 KB ID:	313274 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44321.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	313275

And #2 flintguy
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_44048.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	313276 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_45742.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	313277
    #1 Kentucky point
    60.00%
    #2 flintguy
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 2ndoldman; 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Just for the record...I have to say, I feel like a heel going up against "The Kid". There's always pressure to post your finds in this contest...I didn't realize I would be the only other one this month. Maybe I'll vote for Kentucky Point to ease my conscious. It is a beautiful artifact.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      No, man, don't feel guilty. I like to earn and work for what I want, aka winning. I like things fair and square, so don't feel bad. :-)

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, flint, your find isn't anything to sneeze at! The amount of labor and intention that went into those hardstone pieces is impressive..Then consider the kind of work they were used for, the skill and the labor that went in to that..
      Now, I've made an atlatl by hand, knapped some points, and flung some darts(haven't taken any game in this manner..yet).. but I've never pecked a stone cobble with a harder stone and then ground it on one or both sides until the faces met, and then used it to quarry stone, finish hides, do various forms of woodworking, cultivate crops, or bash an enemy with. If I had to choose the easier of the two paths, I think the choice would be clear.

flintguy for the record I came up with the idea of having this contest as a way to not only encourage members to post their finds but to have a place where members could see ALL of the best finds in one place.
    I must say though that I am disappointed with the lack of participation.
    As an aside, I have cast the first vote and it was for you. Not because your find was better than the kids but because you had the courage to step up.
    Bruce

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Bruce, I Love this contest! Please keep it going. It takes some time to build a photo album of dandys but it'll get there. There are bound to be lean months, due to weather, high crops, or limited accessibility and that in itself shows the ebb and flow of collecting and the variables that we are all subject to.
      If I'd have found anything more than flakes this month, I'd have been in the mix again. I bet come sep, oct, nov, the entries will be flooding in again and there will be some stunners.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you guys have a "Find of the year"? That, and a knapping contest would be a really cool idea.

If I were there Bruce finding I would be posting

Comment

What Tam said. I have not been able to look since very early spring
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Man I haven’t found anything good in awhile! I got nothing to post!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Goin' to GA, Tomorrow, I hope to find something to enter next time!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            You will , that place is loaded with artifacts . Not like Mo .But the lithics are beautiful and it’s been raining all summer . Can’t wait to see what you find .

I have just thought of something. Would I be the youngest contestant of Find of the Month?

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            At the moment yes. Chad's children are much younger and they find some pretty decent things so that may change.

How old are you? Are you old enough to vote for yourself??

😳😇😇
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            15. 16 in October.

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome. It’s so cool to see a young man who still values history and artifacts. I’m sorry to tell you, you will likely carry this affliction as long as you live...
            👍👍

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I don't mind. I just need funding for all off the display cases I will need!

Both of those artifacts are real winners. That point is some of the most beautiful lithic material ever and to be a first find makes it very special. That beautiful celt would make anyone's year. Hardstone pieces are always special and that one is awesome.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I agree with Ron and I am yet to find a fine polished one .

Are there any more members who want to cast their votes?
          If not I will call this tomorrow night.
          Bruce

Comment

It is a wrap.

Kentucky point

Kentucky point

is the winner
            Last edited by 2ndoldman; 08-24-2018, 12:23 PM.
            Bruce

Comment

Thank you very much everybody! It feels great to have won the contest. Also kudos to Flintguy on a well fought race. I hope to enter again soon. As soon as I find something...

Comment

It really was a beautiful point .
                great lithic. It is a beauty and well deserved

Comment

Congratulations Kentucky Point. It is a special point. Good battle. Hopefully we both find some more great pieces and have many more entrys in the future.
                  Central Ohio

Comment

Working...
                X