No announcement yet.

Third annual Secret Santa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great hand hafted knife and a frame of pottery shards from Wayne and Tamara from Hawaii. Overwhelmed my friends.

Comment

• BabaORiley
      BabaORiley commented
      Editing a comment
      Pottery frame and a sweet knife...awesome!!! Is that knife blade obsidian ?

Glad you like them Bugglie..

Comment

I opened my gift up from Mr.Paul Frey yesterday, big thank you sir! A modern primitive pocketknife! Lol! What a nifty gift, I like it a lot! Thank you again ! I hope everyone had a good holiday Click image for larger version

Name:	23ED791B-17BD-4289-AA53-22452B4881F9.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	340376 Click image for larger version

Name:	4D0DE965-3DF3-417F-8A33-BC957E497724.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	340377
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome craftsmanship and gift.

• BabaORiley
        BabaORiley commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow...way cool there. That is a fine piece of work for sure...

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Jay, I've had that for quite a while. I thought it was pretty unique, and I used it one time to cut pork chops! It really works and it's solid, it won't break! I'm glad you like it! Merry X-Mas!!! Paul

Got my gift from Jay this evening. Mail lady put it at the wrong door. I'll post pics as soon as I can get some good ones.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Secret Santa arrived on Christmas Eve. My apologies to you Red Rocks as Christmas Eve and Day were very hectic albeit enjoyable but busy. I received three beautiful and generous gifts from Red Rocks who hails from the east cost. A beautifully flaked point made of a lithic called Coxsackie Flint that comes from an area in upstate NY. There was also a very nice copper medallion that is a tribute to the 2nd amendment and has a quote from one of my favorite P Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	340418 residents ever Thomas Jefferson. The best one to me being a N'East Illinois plowland hunter is the net weight. That will remain as one of my favorite artifacts as those dont come too often in my area. Again thank you Red for your generosity. Happy New Year to you my friend...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice gifts 🎁

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Red. I just got back from the pistol range and I'm gonna carry that medallion in my pocket every time I go shooting. Thanks again dude...

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Your welcome That's awesome Baba...just dont throw it up in the air and shoot a hole thru it like Billy the kid haha

Very nice I have never found a whole net weight either .

Comment

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Dont get me wrong...all the gifts are very nice but the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois dont offer much in that way of artifacts. I see you had a nice haul as well Tam...

Jay sent me some cool stuff. A sweet little stemmed point that he knapped from what he(and I) think is hornstone. Some samples of lithics from the northeast, and a bottle of deliciously flavored syrup so that I can make the state drink of Rhode island! I plan on knapping the flake samples he sent me. I've already tried the Rhyolite and the argillite. I really like the Rhyolite but the argillite seems unfriendly. The quartzite is nice and it reminds me of the quartzite I find on the camps I hunt. That white quartz is beautiful and I may just keep it as it is and make a copper wrapped pendant out of it. The coffee syrup is outstanding! Thank you Jay! Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952018122795224813.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	340545 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952018122795224843.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	340546 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized952018122795224733.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	340547
        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! And dare I say, Right On! (trademark, Jay) Those are some very cool New England lithics.

Nice! Cool new England lithic display..I wanna try that coffee now. ...we are neighbors states and I never heard if it. I'll have to take a ride
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          I love coffee!

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          You gotta try it Red. It is like coffee flavored syrup that you put in milk. It is delicious. Ethan, I think your like it too if you had it in milk. Might just ease you into drinking coffee, lol.

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I tried mixing it up in milk, creamer and sugar until it was white, but still wasn't thrilled. I just don't need the caffeine at this age, lol! I would never sleep again!

Sorry about taking so long to thank Santa. (Scorpion68)
        Very nice artifacts in a great display box.

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you liked it Warren. Those are personal Tennessee finds.

Artifacts and a nice case can’t get much better than that
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Those are some real cool artifacts..I like that hafted scraper a lot. Very nice gift
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Beautiful handmade display case ... anything handmade is becoming a lost art a piece to cherish for sure . The artifacts are a big bonus ... oh yeah .

Comment

I'm sorry Josh, I didn't realize everyone was posting under this topic! My Secret Santa was Josh ( kyflintguy ) and he sent the most awesome Paleo knife! And a hand made flint knife with a bone handle, and a nifty little soapstone gorget that he made. Which I will turn into a pendant necklace for my wife, since she claimed it for herself anyway!!! The funny thing is, the soapstone that he used was given to him by Jay from R.I., and Jay was my Secret Santa recipient!! I love it all, and especially the Paleo knife!! That is one NICE!! knife!! Thank You Josh!!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08581.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	340828
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you liked them Paul!

• pkfrey
                pkfrey commented
                Editing a comment
                Josh, What's the material on the Paleo knife? I wish we had quality flint like that up here in Pa.! That had to hard to part with, it's beautiful, and excellent flaking! And I Thank You again!!! Paul

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it within the Knox Chert dolomite Paul. Most people think of a deep black Chert when they hear Knox Chert but I've found the nodules can vary from black and grey most commonly to deep browns, beiges as well. It's a superior lithic, the issue is the good nodules are very rarely larger than 2-3 inches wide. And for ever solid nodule you will find 50 that are degraded and full of tiny hairline fractures, that's been my experience. Of course the Natives knew where to find the good stuff lol. I could do a whole thread on the varitions of nodular chert that can be found here, but they all originated in the Knox Chert dolomite is my understanding.

Double wow

Comment

Well Now - Today the mailman brought me a package from Ron Kelley. Ron had told me he was sending me a package so I was kinda looking for it. I brought it into the house and opened it at the kitchen table with my wife and daughter watching. The first item I unwrapped was the Grooved Axe to which I heard ooooohhhhhh's and aaaaaaahhhhhhh's. None of us had seen a grooved axe up close and personal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0365.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	341311 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0364.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	341312

Then I unwrapped the Adze to more ooooohhhh's and aaaaaahhhh's. I had only recently added an adze to my collection.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0366.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	341314

Then I unwrapped this to which I heard nothing. We were all speechless!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0367.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	341313 This was personally made by Ron - his own blade, his own antler billet and the craftsmanship to put them together. I was absolutely awe struck. I've seen Ron's work on this website many times but only once before have I witnessed it first hand. This custom knife blew us all away. I didn't know what to say then and I'm still at a loss for words, one of the few times in my life. I thank you sooooo much Ron for such a personal gift and you can rest assured that it will find a very special place in my own personal collection. Thanks Buddy.

Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• SDhunter
                  SDhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty awesome

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is amazing!
              Working...
              X