MOTM For Sept 2017 Hoss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM For Sept 2017 Hoss

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1640.JPG Views:	1 Size:	707.2 KB ID:	263231

Okay, we need a drum roll 🥁! This man really needs no introduction. He doesn't need me to tell you what he means to this forum. He did need some convincing to accept this month's honor. So, with no further ado, please welcome Matt, better known as our one and only Hoss as this month's honoree!

I grew up in Western Connecticut. My Dad collected artifacts from 1931 until he passed away in 1997. It all started for me at a very young age. Dad took us out on digs and to corn fields in Towns that bordered the Housatonic river. We called the Housy our big back yard. We hunted sites from Milford and Stratford on the Coast of Long Island Sound up to New Milford and Kent CT. My first experiences started at about age five. Dad would take us into a field and hand my brother and I a paper bag. Show us what quartz looked like and say. Go pick up every white rock like this and don’t come back til the bag is full. LOL little did we know he did that so we would not ask him a bazillion times “ Is this one?” No telling if I found anything great in those early days as he would jus go through the bags and never say much.

When I was about 7 years old I was on a dig site with him and I left to go to the lake to skim rocks or fish because that is what a kid prefers at that age. Dad would call us and make us back fill the holes he and my older cousins dug. We would come running and he would hand us shovels and put us to work. While back filling I spotted a point tumble out of a clump of dirt and I dove on it. Dad was very proud and immediately took it away from me and said he would hang onto it for me. Some years later I spotted it in one of his frames. I asked for it back but was denied. LOL Later on my brother traded my Dad a gun for the frame. And now I get to visit my very first find. When I visit my brother back in CT. Sorry for rambling but after that find I was hooked. I rarely walked away to skim rocks in the lake after that. Since that time I have amassed quite a collection and I curate Dad’s collection to this day.

I am close to 60 years old now and have been studying and adding to the collection for more than 50 years. I now live in Tennessee and I do not get around so well, as I had an accident that left me with a bad back and knees. I do enjoy going to shows and swapping stories with other collectors and seeing a lot of great artifacts from other parts of the US.

Not sure what else to write. I am happy to be an admin on this site and I hope you all enjoy being here with us.
    Last edited by SDhunter; 10-01-2017, 09:09 PM.
    South Dakota

Hey Matt, Thank you for always being there when we need help with something. Matt reminds me of the christmas tree decorations we made when I was just a wee lad. We would carefully crack English Walnuts so that we could glue the two halves of the shell back together with a loop of yarn to hang on the tree. Yes Matt is the glue that holds the nuts together. Matt's generosity is as big as the man himself: Always free with his time. Matt gave me one of my favorite artifacts; A beautiful hardstone gouge.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Matt I hope you know what you mean to this site. ...I am proud to be apart and more proud that you are the leader
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

This honor has been a long time coming my friend. You tried to duck and dodge but we caught you in the end.
        Thank you for being the head cheese in this loonie bin we call home.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Well it's about time!
          You are the man here and we thank you for all you have done, do and what you helped create in Arrowheads.com
          Thank you Matt
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Congratulations and thank you for making this an incredible site! You are greatly appreciated.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Matt, what can I add? -- Deb
              Child of the tides

Comment

Congratulations Matt on this well deserved honor! I Appreciate all of the advice and mentoring you have so freely given to me and many, many others. I'm glad we had the chance to get together for a museum visit and I hope we can do some more of the same in the future. I wish you well in all of your future endeavours and if you ever need something just remember I'm right down the road. Thanks for everything you do here and for making this site the great place it is!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hoss huh, don't get Me Started on Him. Well, maybe just a little lol. Congrat's Matt, I think You are Arrowheads.com in a way. If it's first month long overdue and if second it's well deserved anyway!
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Yeah, what they all said!! Congrats, Matt!@
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

As Josh said, Hoss you are AH.com. Can't thank you enough for what you do. As we say here in Tennessee "We appreciate ya." Congratulations and well deserved.
                      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Congratulations Matt. I can't imagine this forum without your guidance and oversight. You are the permanent MOTM as far as I am concerned. If members had numbers, yours would be permanently retired and placed in the Arrowheads.com "Hall of Fame".

Comment

I agree on all points, especially the one Ron made about you being the glue holding the nuts together....😄
                          Congrats!!!
                          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

This is one of those tip your hat moments.

Comment

Kind of speechless here. I would like to say that I think it is all of you who make the site great. Don't get me wrong , I do appreciate all the kind words. Thank you so much.
                              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                              X