No announcement yet.

MOTM for March 2018 CMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right on, Charlie! You most certainly deserve it! Congrats, Man.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Well, I hope I'm not running over my allotted time, lol, or talking too much here, but I do love to story tell, and since we all love points and such, I'll tell ya another story, regarding this frame, and life on Narrow River.

In the top row, just to the right of center, is the base of a green argillite point, a broadpoint, and probably an Atlantic broadpoint. That's the first point I found, in the hay field next door, where, for only one year that I recall, Bill Yoman planted corn. And here's where the story comes in. I have told it before, so my apologies if you've already heard all this.

Across the other street from ourselves, and the Yoman's, lived George-gee Hammond and his full blooded native wife. I'm sure his name was George, but everyone called him George-gee. He himself was half Narragansett and the Yoman's cousin. He had no children of his own. Every single time George-gee caught sight of me, he always asked "let me take you arrowhead hunting". The walls of his living room had frames of wired on points, and no question I was impressed. He always saw me with a geologist's hammer in hand, and he must have known I would take to the hunt if given the chance. And, on all but one occasion, I would answer "going crabbing today, George-gee", or "sorry, going fishing". Well, what the heck, I did have the life of Huckleberry Finn, after all!

But, anyway, the summer Bill planted corn, I let George-gee take me to that field, and I found that point. And in my mind's eye, I can still see George-gee, all 6'5" or so of him, looking down at me holding that base, with an ear to ear grin on his face. But I was just a kid. I had no idea what was really going on. I was the son George-gee never had. If only I'd known, he would have taken me to every farm on RI's Atlantic coast, and I would have been in like Flint. Most of those fields are still there, and most are posted now. To this day, when I hunt, I send up a thought to George-gee, telling him, "see George-gee, the hunt did take hold, sorry I did not realize how happy I could have made you when I had the chance. Give me a little luck today, George-gee".

In the frame, that little black graphite triangle, and the three complete points to its right, I found sifting the sand from a cellar hole when one of my uncles built a house a mile or so south of the summer house. Found sifting for about one hour, while in college, and I never went back. Say what?! Lol. If only I had sifted for days on end, who knows what was there to find. Sigh, just took awhile for the hunt to become a consuming passion.

Everything else in the frame was found by my wife and I sifting river bottom one day each summer for a few years. Last time I did that I waded to the spot with my cousin, from the opposite bank, and we did find a few that are now in my cousin's collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9881.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	288790

Rhode Island

Comment

I am loving these stories Charlie .

Comment

Now how did Charlie get over looked! One of our top members, with a tremendous amount of knowledge! Love to read what you always have to share! Congrats to you, well deserved!!!
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Hey Charlie, It’s your month, so fill up the post! You may start a new trend. I wish I had a George-gee wanting to take me to all his hot spots. You know what they say about hindsight.. Who knows, you may have become so obsessed with it, you wouldn’t have gone got your degrees. 🙂 It is a great story though.
            South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks,Gary. Just trying to catch up a bit, over at my local library. Lost power yesterday. At least the Yoman's always had heat. Plum cold here without it, lol....

I enjoyed reading your personal stories Charlie. Thinking about that guy howling at the moon is pretty funny.
            Also Congrats to you and thank you for any comments you leave about my finds. I’ve learned a lot from you over the past couple years
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, man. You do find some sweet points!

Congratulations Charlie I am glad I was able to meet you in person a few years back. You are a wealth of knowledge and this is a well deserved past due show of appreciation. Thankyou for helping make Arrowheads.com a great place.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Matt, for all you do to keep this site humming along!

I am sorry to be late with my congratulations Charlie, blame it on having to read and re read your stories. You take all the time youneed Charlie, this is your time and your post to shine in my friend.
            I don't always reply to your posts and comments. Sometimes it is to stay out of the political line of fire And other times because the discussion is just way over my head. But I do read every single word you type.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Me, political? Lol. Whoever once said, and I remember it was a famous personage, "Man is the political animal" knew what he was talking about, lol. Thank you, Bruce!

congrats to you Charlie,and long over due is an understatement

loved reading your child hood stories.(plus everything else you post)

as a young child my mom and step dad knew some "connected" people from new york and detroit
            one of them(whos name i wont mention) i idolized because of the stories he told me.
            wanted to be like him when i grew up,which is probably why i have such an interest in shooting

but im glad i took a different path in life

i for one would just love to read more of your child hood stories

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I guess I have a million childhood stories, but then, don't we all really?

Big congrats Charlie. What can I say bud,your help and guidance has been a huge factor in me learning and having success in this hobby. You’ve been kind enough to share locations with me that put me in the right spots to be able to actually look and find nice things. Me Jeff and Doc still look to you as a mentor and your experience with our local artifacts and history is a true gift you share with us all. And your name is locally famous when it comes to this too, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stopped to chat with a local along a beach who’ve dropped your name having met you and talked with you before, you’ve definitely left your name and mark on this hobby as far as this state goes. Thank for all your help you always give to us all. Congrats again my friend, honor well deserved.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Jay. It's been my pleasure getting to know you, Doc, and Jeff. I remember when and where Helen first bumped into you and Doc on one of the beaches. We had both actually seen both of you on an earlier occasion on that beach, but did not realize you were hunting. And I know my friend Hugh bumped into you at another beach once, described the meeting, and I said "oh, that's Jay!" Well, the saying is "small world", but in Little Rhody, it's "small state". Lol...

I wouldn't have the collection I have if it weren't for your help, and this forum definitely wouldn't be the same without you. I always enjoy your posts and pictures. I'm enjoying the stories too, congrats!

Comment

Member of the month? Charlie should be elected Member of the Year!

Comment

Working...
              X