MOTM for April 2018 Clambellies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for April 2018 Clambellies

Click image for larger version  Name:	CE57754E-3687-48E3-92CA-717C63BDA60D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	294074

It’s a special day to introduce our newest MOTM! The last time Easter and April Fools occurred on the same day was 1956. This is no April Fools joke, and Alan is no Easter Bunny, but nonetheless, he is an important member to our community. I know I enjoy seeing his artifacts and reading his posts. Please welcome Alan, also known as
    Clambellies as our newest honoree!

I was very surprised and rather honored to be chosen for MOTM. I’m among some very fine company here!

I grew up in Central Massachusetts, and spent my childhood and teen years fishing the fresh water rivers and ponds and the ocean surf along Cape Cod & RI. That was my introduction to the great outdoors. In the early 1970’s a friend from work turned me on to hunting for artifacts, and graciously took me to his many plowed field sites. I was immediately hooked on artifact hunting. I had always had an interest in the N/A’s due to the family stories of a having a great-grandmother from Canada who was a Mic-Mac.

My other outdoor pursuits over the years have been hiking, camping, photography, scuba diving, underwater photography, videography & video production, Gardening & Bonsai, some outdoor writing, and my time spent fishing has kept me busy.

Like a lot of other aging collectors, 90% of the sites that I hunted have been lost to development or the fields are no longer tilled. Back when they were in their prime (and so was I) my artifact hunting partner and I were like ghosts drifting across the farmlands. We talked to no one about our finds or sites, and we avoided other artifact hunters like the plague. After a few decades of decreasing finds and the realization that I wasn’t learning anything new, I had a change of heart.

I opened up to a few other local enthusiasts, made some close friendships with other serious Avocational Archaeologists, I joined the ASAA & MAS and was lucky enough to find this great website and now I’m enjoying this hobby/obsession more than ever. I’ve learned more in the last few years though this website community and by opening up to others than I had in the four decades previously.

Some stories? Here’s a few random ones. In the early 90’s I was in Central Texas videotaping archery whitetail deer hunts. I was kneeling behind my hunter, aiming the camera right down his drawn arrow. Rutting bucks were dashing around us through the brush. An arrow was going to fly at any second. I needed to shift over a few inches and glanced down to not kneel in the cactus. There it was! The large broken base of a cream colored chert, Paleo Plainview spearpoint right by my knee. Imagine my surprise! One eye in the camera viewfinder, the other eye scanning the ground around me. Obviously, we weren’t the first hunters at this location.

Two years ago I was in the California Sierras hiking with my good friend. He has a log cabin there at an altitude of 10,500 feet, up on a mountain shelf near some alpine lakes. Quite an amazing place, I couldn’t believe it when we started finding obsidian chips and I soon found the broken tip of an obsidian point. As marginal and rugged a terrain as that high mountain shelf was, the N/A’s had utilized it.

On that same CA trip, while fly fishing for trout at Hot Creek near Mammoth I found that the trout were not cooperating. But, I did leave with a couple of pocketfuls of obsidian chips and biface tools.

One of my daughters lives on an island off of Cape Cod, and as you might guess, I’ve been finding artifacts along the salt ponds and surf beaches there. How strange to find arrowheads among the clam and scallop shells.

I guess what I’m trying to say with these stories is that this hobby has followed me throughout my life and I’m enjoying it more than ever.

I thank all of you for contributing to my knowledge.

Last edited by SDhunter; 04-16-2018, 09:15 PM.
    South Dakota

Congrats Alan, Good choice for MOTM and well deserved. I always enjoy seeing your finds and reading your posts.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for all your help alan,,

Hey Alan, I was always intrigued by your user name! Congrats on your MOTM!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• clambellies
      clambellies commented
      Editing a comment
      A little history on the name "clambellies." Being from NE and loving the lowly fried clam, there are few clam shacks that I haven't frequented. The cholesterol medication that I take proves my point, ha! I drove tractor-trailer for UPS until my retirement and "clambellies" was my CB handle.

Congratulations Alan! Very deserved Honor! I appreciate all of your contributions to our forum!

I really enjoyed reading your bio and particularly learning about you deciding to open up and start communicating with other collectors. I think that's something that would really help a lot of folks to begin sharing and learning. It really expands ones horizons. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Alan - Congratulations on your selection as MOTM. Those are wonderful stories and I'm quite sure you have many more. Your selection is very well deserved and it members like you that keep this website alive and well. Keep sharing and we'll keep reading and following you along on your adventures.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Congratulations Alan, Thanks for sharing The Bio and deciding to share.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Congradulations Alan aka clambellies . What a great picture of you holding the points . Really great !
          I love your story about all your fishing trips . It’s killing me I didn’t look for artifacts back in the 70’s and your all getting tired of me saying that but heck I skied and camped mammoth for 5 decades !!!
          Yes that is some rugged terrain and it’s great you got to experience that place .
          I enjoy all your posts and responses . Always learn from you and appreciate your open mind .
          Happy Easter .

Comment

• clambellies
            clambellies commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't wait to get back to the Mammoth area. Maybe in a couple years. As to not looking for artifacts early on, I used to hike across plowed fields to get to rivers and ponds to fish, and now that those fields are all gone I've found out many were great sites. I just never heard of artifact hunting or anyone doing it back then.

Congrats on a well deserved honour Alan.
          By the way I hope that you took the precaution of posing for that picture over carpet.
          I would hate to think what would have happened if one of those had fallen unto a hard floor.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• clambellies
            clambellies commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yes, over carpet. I've learned the hard way. HA!

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought the same thing

Congratulations on member of the month well deserved. Love fishing and gardening as well. Would love to see some fish pics sometime. Have an awesome month!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hey Alan, those are great stories. I've enjoyed speaking with you at those ASAA meetings, and seeing your great finds both there and here on our forum. We're glad you had that change of heart! Congrats, sir!
            Rhode Island

Comment

• clambellies
              clambellies commented
              Editing a comment
              Thaks Charlie. I enjoyed talking to you the other day. Hope we can hook up at some point, I'd love to see your collection.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, next time we have a local meetup, you and our other friends from Ma are most welcome to join us.

Hey Alan, Congrats on a well deserved honor! That's a young looking picture, you have a good 100 years left to collect!!
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate it. I enjoy this site every single day.

Comment

Congratulations on MOTM Alan/Clambellies. You bring many years of knowledge to the site. Your story about walking fields as a youth kinda remind me of someone. Once again congrats and those are some real nice ones on your arms there and the frames as well...
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Very few honors can be bestowed on a fellow collector one that means something from their piers. My hat is taken off in your honor. Thanks for what you bring to the site. Congrats on motm
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Congrats Alan. Thank you for your dedication.

Comment

Working...
                    X