MOTM for Aug 2018 Pointhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for Aug 2018 Pointhead

I think time must be speeding up, because these months fly by. One nice thing, is that we get to recognize another outstanding member here. We are fortunate to have so many contributing members. Benjamin is our newest honoree and it’s my privilege to introduce him, also known as Pointhead. Please give him your love!

Member of the month... wow.. well first off this is an honor, thank you. Nearly two years ago when I became hooked on point hunting I would’ve never guessed I would be studying typology, diving into Native American history, and walking in the footprints of those who came before me, through both native Americans and previous collectors, who laid the foundations of this hobby.

Where to begin? I’ve always been an avid sportsman. On the day I was born my grandfather came into the hospital room with a Mickey Mouse fishing pole, and from there it was love at first cast. I often found myself fishing with my grandfather, and by the time I was 8 I was sneaking out of the house to fish a pond in the woods behind my house. (Sorry mom, dad). Although I can’t say I remember catching on that Disney product, I know it was the start of one of my many passions for the outdoors.

Growing up in rural New England, my priorities in life were family, school, and friends in no particular order. We spent our time outside as soon as homework was done. Naturally this time outside lead to my love for hunting and fishing, sports, and by happenstance, collecting artifacts.

The day that hooked me on arrowheads was a blustery cold morning in a local goose hunting spot of mine. One of my best friends, who is also named Ben, picked up a piece of quartz which I know now was clearly a flake, and excitedly exclaimed, “Arrowhead”! To which I grinned, because I knew he was a fool; and replied, I’ll show you an arrowhead. Long story short, we both skipped the morning flights of geese that morning to hunt points. We turned up nothing, and his momentary quest halted there, while I kept walking. And I’m still walking to this day.

As far as my life goes, I graduated from URI with a BA in history and education, and I am a history teacher in a middle school where I try to make history come alive for my students. For me this passion comes naturally, for many others I need to spice things up. For this upcoming year I’m working on a frame of points for my classroom, not my A-class stuff, but points that are dinged, or broken to bring into class for a tangible piece of North American history. It’s important that these stories are taught. Having those examples for students, is something that will make my classroom more interesting. I also double as the baseball coach of our middle school team, and that is a major passion of mine as well. It cuts into my artifact time, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world!

I have had the pleasure to meet some amazing people through this site, and through this hobby. I’m very lucky to have found this forum, the advice of the members on it and the positive culture it provides for this hobby is something that is invaluable to me and all of the members who chose to use the forum in a positive manner.

I am a notoriously long winded writer, and so is Steven king, but alas I am no Steven king.. my posts would be kind of dark if I were...

Lol. Thank you for the honor, it is a pleasure to be on the forum with you all!

Click image for larger version  Name:	941014BE-3683-4944-9D39-17D851E2F75C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	311152
    Last edited by SDhunter; 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM.
    South Dakota

Ben, congrats on MOTM.

nice fish. glad to have you on the site.

Comment

Congratulations, Ben!
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Hey Ben, Congrats to our August MOTM.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

What a wonderful story . I always enjoy your informative posts . What a great profession to teach our next generation . You take it up a notch by being a coach .
          congratulations on not only MOTM but for what you do for our youth . Well deserved ....

Comment

Ben when I was 8 my mom kicked me out of the house. I got on my bike and went to sites of artifacts. My life was go explore son as what your life is and that is fantastic. Now I get to welcome our member of the month congratulations.!
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Congratulations on MOTM Ben!
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Congratulations! No more important job than being a teacher!
                South Carolina

Comment

Congrats Ben! Nice Bio and Pic, (That's a really big fish) Thanks.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Pointhead
                    Pointhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s my largest striped bass ever caugt, my grandpa took the picture. 42 lbs. I was a happy man that day.

Right on man!
                  call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Not long winded enough Benjamin, I could have kept reading your story for at least another full page.
                    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM.
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Pointhead
                      Pointhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Bruce!!

Congrats to you Ben. Really enjoyed your story, I was once a history teacher too. Keep those finds and great posts coming, my friend.

And hey, we share the same alma mater!
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• Pointhead
                      Pointhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s a good school! And I tell all aspiring college students that you get out what you put into it.. I’m very happy with the way I was prepared to teach!

Congratulations Ben! Happy for you! Swell fish by the way.
                    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Congratulations on your selection Ben. It's well deserved. That's a really nice Bass ya got there.
                      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Congrats man... Nice striper too
                        SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                        X