Jan 2019-A time for reminiscing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan 2019-A time for reminiscing

I thought we could do something a little different this month, being the start of a new year. I would like this month to be dedicated to all our past members that have come and gone. Some may have died. We should remember them. Some have just moved on. We should remember them as well. Newer members won’t know some of these people, but if some newer members would like share about how people still here, have helped them or affected them in a positive way, feel free. This month, everyone is MOTM!
    South Dakota

Very nice !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I will start it off by remembering Jack, better known as greywolf22. I don’t know if he is still alive or not, but I always enjoyed his quick candor. He never minced words. A line of his that he used often, was “fake as a three dollar bill”. He added a lot to this site, and I wish he hadn’t left.
      South Dakota

Comment

This is a really cool idea!

I haven't been here long enough to remember past greats, but the folks I have met so far, are all friends to me. I enjoy reading all the replies, comments and input to my topics and questions. I enjoy reading about others finds, and informative topics.

Ron, Jay, Chuck, Tam, Bruce, Matt, Red, Tom...I know a lot of names are missing...

Ron, you have been a source of inspiration and instruction, and have been a big help to my beginning knapping hobby.

Jay, you have given me so many ideas. So, so many... You have been very generous to a raw, green, newbie.

Chuck, I have enjoyed reading your posts, and your wise input on a lot of things. I appreciate ya. :-)

Tam, you have been a very helpful and encouraging member.

Bruce, thank you for Find of the Month, and all those cool metal detecting posts.

Matt, you run a very clean, and tight ship. Thank you for being our leader!

Red, you are a joy to read about. One day, I will find more sinkers than you. Maybe.

Tom, you are a living encyclopedia of info...

I know I am missing names, but thank you guys for the knowledge and friendships ya'll have given me!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Great idea Gary.
          I would like to thank all the friends I have gotten to know through the years, you all are like family.
          I would like to also thank all those who have helped my learn more and more about this amazing hobby and the history that lies below our feet.
          Thank you.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Jack Bates, Jr. aka greywolf22 is still alive and well. I just looked up his Facebook page. I've always said Jack had the greatest ability to say the most, with the fewest words, of just about any man I know. Good sense of humor, and he would never hesitate to take it to the fakers. I too miss Jack.

I miss Butch Wilson of South Carolina. Hope he still enjoys the quartz points I sent him. First guy I knew for whom quartz was his favorite lithic. Maybe he and his wife are still crisscrossing the country in their motor home, which were his plans once he retired.

I very much miss Joe Roy, ksrocks, who found the most mind boggling Paleo points walking Kansas streams with his unique walking stick tipped with a spoon. He was just a gentleman, always with a kind word.

And before he moved to Ohio, Joe's partner was Dan, aka spanky. I'd love to show some of Joe's incredible points, but all his photos are gone. Looks like spanky used a spoon-tipped stick as well, here's one of his in-situs. Boy, you need good eyes!

Found on a creek Joe and I walked last weekend, maybe ten minutes into hunt and then nothing for the next 3 or 4 hours. Then when we walk thru the field Joe

I miss Pam from Ohio. Yep, she was different, and a tough learner, but she never rubbed me wrong. She saw the world through a poet's eyes, and sometimes that doesn't mix with science.

And I miss Roger, aka painshill. Very, very much. Irreplaceable. How could one man know so much? I'll never know.

Just a few that have come and gone, whose presence here I enjoyed, and whom I miss to this day.
            Rhode Island

Comment

• tomclark
              tomclark commented
              Editing a comment
              Roger on Roger!

Butch Wilson Click image for larger version

Name:	F02D5DAE-9F1F-446A-B2C4-727C243D472D.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	341619
            South Dakota

Comment

Spanky
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1C038418-1B71-483B-B9B6-B48293444A89.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	341621
              South Dakota

Comment

Roger

Name:	9F5CE45D-2164-4906-AD10-B1922975C785.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	341624
                South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, the stages of life. Thanks, Gary!

I miss rmartin too. He had some outstanding artifacts from I'll. Turkeytail rest in peace Mark. I will never forget you man.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• SDhunter
                  SDhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I miss Ray too.

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ray was great, and greatly missed. RIP Mark...

• JoshinMO
                  JoshinMO commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ray was quite Helpful, found some sweet Point's also.

RIP Mark. Turkeytail

Name:	99005566-DA03-4B13-A8B5-85E3D593F197.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	341698
                South Dakota

Comment

I never knew painshill, but the information center is loaded with his writings, and studies. He is amazing. I wish he was still around.
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One thing I wish Roger would come back for, would be the chance to convince him that Vikings made it to the Midwest at some point in their travels. I tried a few times, but he always got bristly and refused to listen. LOL. Maybe someday we will be able to continue our little “talk”. I hope so!

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol, yeah,Gary, Roger was formidible in rebuffing Vikings in the United States. You can imagine my trpedation in introducing the Narragansett Bay Runestone, lol. He was not a fan of alternate histories or alternate archaeology. So of course we hope you can one day present your accumulated evidence for Vikings in Minnesota!

I to like Ethan have so many friends and wonderful learning experiences from joining this site . There are some very knowledgeable people on this site that have been patient with me and continue to be . For that I am thankful ......
                  Painshill lives on with some atsonishing past posts .
                  Turkeytail , well I tried to live through his eyes when he posted .

Comment

Oh wow i've been gone way to long. Had no clue some of these legends of this site have passed on. Seriously some of the best. Now im sad.

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      To the best of my knowledge, Turkeytail is the only former member spoken of who has actually passed on. But I have no personal knowledge of many. They just stopped posting.

Good idea Gary! Mark was Cool, too Young.

Rixdafix Were are You?????
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                    X