MOTM for April 2019 Robshap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for April 2019 Robshap

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE0F68FB-0E02-49A5-8151-9E24535492B0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	359276

April couldn’t come soon enough for me. Spring is finally in the air. The birds have come back, the snow is melting and the days are getting longer. It’s a nice exciting time of the year. It’s a good month to be remembered in as well, and this month it’s time to remember and thank Rob for all he contributes to our site. Here’s to a worthy member, and that’s no April Fools Joke! Thanks for all you do Robshap!

Thrilled to be honored as member of the month. My name is Rob Shapiro. I owe my first find to my golden retrievers who I would take out daily in the wetlands and trails behind my house. (Sadly, only one gal left and she is going to be 13 in April). If I weren’t out walking them, I would have never found my first artifact. Actually, when I found this site and posted my finding, I was told “it’s a rock, keep looking.” So I did and found a point about 100 feet upstream. Since then I have been hooked.

I have been interested in Native American culture since I was a kid. My family tells me that I was an Indian in a past life and I have eagle eyes. I spot things that most people don’t notice. I grew up in NJ and spent a lot of my time fishing the pond down the end of my street in a park called Nomahegan Park. Lenni Lenape Indians used to live in the area. I went to college in Washington DC and grad school in Rochester NY. I now live in Maryland not far from the Potomac River which is a pretty good place for finding artifacts. I was a clinical psychologist for 20 years but got burnt out and made a total career change. I am now a custom home builder and get to play outside and in the dirt. Much more fun and less stress. I once found a triangle in the underside of sod I was laying. (Not quite as good a story as Hoss’s roof top find).

I am 61 and have been married for 28 years. I have 3 kids, a 26 year old son and twin daughters both juniors in college. I feel blessed to have a great family. On a personal note, I had a serious heart attack at 50 and have 4 stents. Never smoked, moderate drinker and I have never been overweight. Just bad genes. I am now healthy and grateful to be alive and nothing gives me more pleasure than being in the great outdoors. In addition to being a rock hound, I am a birder so I take my camera and binoculars with me when I go rock hunting. If I don’t find an arrowhead, I might get a nice shot of a ruby throated hummingbird.

I really appreciate all the fine members of the arrowhead.com community and have learned so much from this site. I have posted a pic when I was at Machu Picchu this Christmas and a piece of artwork that was given to me as a gift years ago. I think that was me when I was a Native American!

Last edited by SDhunter; 12-01-2019, 10:17 PM.
    South Dakota

Click image for larger version

Name:	B6EF69CA-2D69-4EE1-B953-F306A096AEFD.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	359278
    South Dakota

Comment

Congrats Rob !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Congrats Rob. That vacation must have been great: I would love to visit Machu Picchu some day.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Congrats Rob. Machu Picchu is an absolutely amazing place.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Congratulations on MOTM Rob!
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Congrats my friend.
              The best part of your bio is that you never gave up after being told your first artifact was a rock.
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Congrats Rob, well deserved. And Machu Picchu! Thanks for being here and sharing with us.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Congratulations Rob!
                  South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Congrats Rob I enjoy your posts and input...good bio...keep hunting and posting
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Awesome vacation picture, looks like a spot to add to the bucket list. Congrats, and looking forward to seeing your finds this year. Good Luck!

Comment

Congratulations, Rob! That was a good bio. It is a pleasure to have you here as a part of our family. I look forward to seeing your future finds.
                        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Congratulations Rob , love your bio and yes you are so blessed with your family long time standing .
                          You have a great attitude and that’s what really makes a successful person and full life .
                          I’llbe waiting for those interesting trips and finds from you as well .

Comment

Congratulations on your selection, Rob. You write well as evidenced by your interesting and illuminating biography. I'm happy for you that you have work that makes you happier, but sad that you still have to work past 60. Of course, some folks need to work when they don't have to. Hope you have enough spare time to enjoy your hobbies. More time to enjoy hobbies if one can stop working when he doesn't have to.

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments. Great community we have here.

Comment

Working...
                              X