MOTM for July 2019 HikerGalNC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for July 2019 HikerGalNC

Click image for larger version  Name:	16CAE4B1-81AB-49B1-A59D-3CAE78317176.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	376213 Thanks so much for all those who joined in last month’s block party to say hi. That was fun, but now it’s time to get back to business with a new honoree. July is a great month to celebrate lots of things, so it’s fitting we have a great new member to celebrate as our new MOTM. Please welcome as say hi to Mel. You might know her as HikerGalNC

Hello all, my name is Mel and I live in Raleigh, in central North Carolina. I'm super-grateful to the arrowheads.com mods and mentors, I've learned so much here in the last year or so. The knowledge you're all sharing was incredibly helpful as I tried to figure out what the heck am I looking for, and what did I find???

How did the obsession get started? I love the outdoors and am a longtime hiker, backpacker, runner and golfer. After semi-retiring from the tech world, with more time to play, I found an arrowhead during a hike in the fall of 2017, and it got me hooked. Now every hike becomes a treasure hunt - who knows what amazing thing I might bring home? My dining room table is now covered with rocks. Mostly rough tools and broken bases, but some points too. A few of them are even perfect! My husband is fortunately very understanding and supportive, and even comes along occasionally.

As much fun as the hunting, has been the learning: reading posts on this site, the archaeology papers that tomclark posts, the Overstreet book, UNC's RLA site - it's fascinating to learn about the past. Almost makes me want to go back to school in archaeology. Almost.

It's so nice to be able to connect with other folks on this site with the same interest! Thank you friends for your support and advice, the answers to my questions, and your amazing posts with awesome pics of your own finds. Let's keep it going!
    Last edited by SDhunter; 12-01-2019, 10:20 PM.
    South Dakota

GO MEL!! Congrats!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Congrats Hiker Gal !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Happy Hiking!! Congrats.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Congrats Mel ....Nice Bio....you do find some cool artifacts . In NC.. i enjoy reading your posts....keep kicking them rocks! ... Red
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Congratulations well deserved for sure
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

WooooooHooooooo!!!!congrats👍

enjoy the free parking this month!

😇
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                That made me laugh

Congrats Mel, well deserved! We enjoy you being here too!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Congratulations Mel it has been wonderful having you here. Absolutely love seeing those awesome NC finds of yours.
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                  HikerGalNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Sugaree, ditto on your NC finds! Greatly appreciate all your insight and advice as to what I've found in central NC.

Congrats, always look forward to seeing your finds! The mountain country your in in the picture is beautiful, is that NC or a vacation picture?

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                  HikerGalNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks GP! That photo is from the Maple Pass Loop in North Cascades, WA state. An awesome hike I highly recommend!

• Glacial Pebble
                  Glacial Pebble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can tell you have to be in better shape than me to get up that high, I’d need a four wheeler lol.

Thanks everyone, it's great being part of this community and being able to learn/share with you all. Now I just hope I can find a new point or two this month!
                Central North Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m sure you will

From one outdoors gal to another congrats . I have hiked and camped just about anything on the west coast as commercial as Yosemite to off the grid and Col . I to cherish Tom’s post and knowledge . Books stacked high we just can start out our own school . I would love to go back but I think the shows will be fun and full on knowledge for us .
                So glad you picked up the bug it’s a good one . It’s hard to hike and keep your head up enjoying the view when you want to look down for artifacts right .Keep up the passion Mei

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                  HikerGalNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Tam, yes, great to know there are other gals interested in the same thing - it's a fun obsession!

Congrats Mel
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Congrats, always interested in looking at your finds, as a lot are simalar to the stuff I find.

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                    HikerGalNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks scwalker! Where are you in SC? My finds are in Chatham, Durham, Wake counties here.

• scwalker
                    scwalker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I live about twenty minutes from Rock Hill, I hunt mostly York, Chester, And Fairfield counties.

Congratulations well deserved send some of that cooler air my way in north Georgia. Although I hear it gets quite warm there to which isn’t fair cause of the snow you get.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

• HikerGalNC
                    HikerGalNC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's supposed to be 100 here tomorrow so unfortunately I don't really have cool air to send to you!
                Working...
                X