No announcement yet.

MOTM for Aug 2019 Charles Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go Cholly!!!!!(in my best little kid British voice)
    enjoy the parking spot!

what type of wood do you use for the bows? Is that Osage orange/Bois d’arc?
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Charles Jones
      Charles Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      I make a model of laminated longbow called an Osage Royale. All Osage woodwith clear fiberglass. My favorite wood. Most of my other bows have a white ash core with black fiberglass.

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d love to see some of them.....I bet they are beautiful.

Congratulations, I have a friend that had both his knees replaced. He said they feel great. I hope the same on your hip
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Congratulations Charles I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your artifacts.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congratulations Charles & best of luck!
        Child of the tides

Comment

Sorry to be late in congratulating you. I must say I am astounded by you new career . I am in the process on trying to switch over to bows . Those are just beautiful and what a great retirement hobby. Yes you look to be a stellar example of what this site is about .
          love to put a bio and face to the posts .
          Enjoy your retirement looks like your on your way to the switch ...
          Last edited by Tam; 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Congratulations, charles!
            South Carolina

Comment

Congrats Charles.

I'd love to see some better pictures of your bows.
              Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Here are a couple pictures of one of my custom longbow models. The “Osage Royale” is made from all Osage Orange wood, with clear fiberglass back and front. I saw and grind the 4 laminations and handle from wood I’ve had for 30 years.

I use other woods, such as maple, white ash, locust, sassafras, and walnut, as well, but Osage is my favorite. As it ages, Osage turns a beautiful golden brown. It’s also very strong and resists dents and scratches.

Most of the the bows I make are youth and starter bows made with ash and black fiberglass. Those start at 9 pounds pull, up to 55, and there are models from 35” to 66” long. Click image for larger version

Name:	37889707-C1C9-46D7-A5B8-EF9C59A977BC.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	385264 Click image for larger version

Name:	49EDB986-85FE-459B-8ECD-F6AA169D5A8B.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	385265
                Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

Congrats on MOTM Charles!

Comment

Beautiful bow Charles
                    Wyoming

Comment

What type of arrows do you use for this , Do they have to be custom made ? As time goes on I’ll need new or breaks
                      Ill pm you in a couple

Comment

• Charles Jones
                        Charles Jones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’ve always thought that wooden arrows go with longbows, but many archers use carbon or aluminum. The key is to exactly match the arrow to the bow and shooter. After all, it’s the arrow that ends up being the most important part of the equation when it comes to hitting the target. It has to be the correct stiffness for the bow and shooting style, and be the right weight for the job it has to do.

Oh boy do I have a lot to learn !I brought this up in a discussion the other night . I want my own radar in hunting . Everyone excluding me has guns .
                      i would love to walk the woods with something like this .
                      Archery place around the corner I’ll go check out and practice / participate if possible and lucky .
                      This could just be my outdoor exercise and own enjoyment hobby .

Comment

Congrats and thanks for all your contributing posts here at arrowheads.com
                        New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                        X