Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugaree
    replied
    Congratulations on MOTM Caleb! I really enjoy seeing your stone artwork and finds. I have a lot of childhood memories around Waxhaw enjoy the month neighbor!

Leave a comment:

• paohrocks
    replied
    Congrats Caleb, very deserving, always enjoy reading your posts and replies. You are busy with 4 kids under the age of 7, enjoy as much time with them as you can, they grow up to quickly! Prayers to you and your family and especially Zeb!

Leave a comment:

• SDhunter
    started a topic MOTM for Feb 2021 NarrowWayKnapper

MOTM for Feb 2021 NarrowWayKnapper

We are running a little behind this month, so I am going to cut to the chase and welcome Caleb as our newest MOTM. We are so thankful here to have members willing to contribute their time to help make this site interesting and knowledgeable. Caleb has been one of those members. We are glad you are here. Say hi to Narrow Way Knapper!

Greetings to my fellow arrowhead enthusiasts! My name is Caleb Lawry. I spent most of my childhood on a mission compound near the town of Pucallpa, Peru. My father was a bush pilot for a mission called JAARS (Jungle Aviation and Radio Services), so on occasion I had the privilege of visiting remote tribal villages. I developed some close friendships with other boys from the Caquinte tribe, the Shapra Candoshi tribe and the Ashanika tribe. They taught me a lot about primitive tools, how they are made and used and I taught them about Western tools and food. I remember one instance where I was out hunting with a couple of Ashanika brothers and we spotted a white Heron looking bird. I asked them if it was good eating to which they replied, "No". When I pressed them further about it, they said only their mother could eat it, or they would lose their accuracy with the bow. I laughed about their superstition then, but later I thought that bird must be pretty tasty if momma doesn't want to share.
    My family came back to the U.S. for good in 2000. After graduating from high school, I worked a year of housing construction before going to school for criminal justice. During that time I married my wife Meagan and started working for a professional arborist. In the fall of 2017 we found out that our nine month old son Zeb had a large cancerous brain tumor. He went through lots of chemotherapy, surgeries, stem cell transplants and almost died three different times. God was merciful to us though and Zeb keeps making progress, with no sign of cancer. I'm still working with trees and I have four kids under the age of seven. Working outdoors has allowed me to find some cool arrowheads and that brings back good memories of my friends in Peru. I've sure enjoyed getting to know some of you here and learn from your knowledge of archaeology.

Pictured below: is my Caquinte friend Miguel and I with a boa we caught and a more recent picture of me inside the stump of an old Willow Oak. The tree was falling apart and damaging gravestones to an old family cemetery.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3FC10598-1496-4C75-B5F3-F7C63ABFC81D.jpeg Views:	273 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	531955
    Click image for larger version  Name:	79A6B59E-C5CF-4605-9C50-9CDF2BB4CE79.jpeg Views:	145 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	531956
    Last edited by SDhunter; 06-07-2021, 10:10 PM.
Working...
X