MOTM for Feb 2021 NarrowWayKnapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOTM for Feb 2021 NarrowWayKnapper

We are running a little behind this month, so I am going to cut to the chase and welcome Caleb as our newest MOTM. We are so thankful here to have members willing to contribute their time to help make this site interesting and knowledgeable. Caleb has been one of those members. We are glad you are here. Say hi to Narrow Way Knapper!

Greetings to my fellow arrowhead enthusiasts! My name is Caleb Lawry. I spent most of my childhood on a mission compound near the town of Pucallpa, Peru. My father was a bush pilot for a mission called JAARS (Jungle Aviation and Radio Services), so on occasion I had the privilege of visiting remote tribal villages. I developed some close friendships with other boys from the Caquinte tribe, the Shapra Candoshi tribe and the Ashanika tribe. They taught me a lot about primitive tools, how they are made and used and I taught them about Western tools and food. I remember one instance where I was out hunting with a couple of Ashanika brothers and we spotted a white Heron looking bird. I asked them if it was good eating to which they replied, "No". When I pressed them further about it, they said only their mother could eat it, or they would lose their accuracy with the bow. I laughed about their superstition then, but later I thought that bird must be pretty tasty if momma doesn't want to share.
    My family came back to the U.S. for good in 2000. After graduating from high school, I worked a year of housing construction before going to school for criminal justice. During that time I married my wife Meagan and started working for a professional arborist. In the fall of 2017 we found out that our nine month old son Zeb had a large cancerous brain tumor. He went through lots of chemotherapy, surgeries, stem cell transplants and almost died three different times. God was merciful to us though and Zeb keeps making progress, with no sign of cancer. I'm still working with trees and I have four kids under the age of seven. Working outdoors has allowed me to find some cool arrowheads and that brings back good memories of my friends in Peru. I've sure enjoyed getting to know some of you here and learn from your knowledge of archaeology.

Pictured below: is my Caquinte friend Miguel and I with a boa we caught and a more recent picture of me inside the stump of an old Willow Oak. The tree was falling apart and damaging gravestones to an old family cemetery.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3FC10598-1496-4C75-B5F3-F7C63ABFC81D.jpeg Views:	273 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	531955
    Click image for larger version  Name:	79A6B59E-C5CF-4605-9C50-9CDF2BB4CE79.jpeg Views:	145 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	531956
    Last edited by SDhunter; 06-07-2021, 10:10 PM.
    South Dakota

Congrats Caleb, very deserving, always enjoy reading your posts and replies. You are busy with 4 kids under the age of 7, enjoy as much time with them as you can, they grow up to quickly! Prayers to you and your family and especially Zeb!
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much! Yes, they grow up so fast, but if they didn't, we parents would fall apart before the warranty was up. LOL!

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      You do know they come with an extended warranty? No purchase necessary.

Congratulations on MOTM Caleb! I really enjoy seeing your stone artwork and finds. I have a lot of childhood memories around Waxhaw enjoy the month neighbor!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Sugaree! Waxhaw is changing and growing quite a bit. I still work up there almost every week.

Congrats on the selection. Well deserved!

what part of SD are you in?
    I have family up there in Rapid City.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SDhunter
      SDhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I started the post, the South Dakota is me. 😆

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I don't live in SD, I live in Lancaster SC. 😉

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lord have mercy. I am easily confused.

I was wondering where you found a tree that big in South Dakota.

Congrats Caleb, well deserved.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for putting up with me Greg.

Congrats Caleb.. always enjoy your posts.
    glad you’re with us here.
    I remember one of your first posts, the celt with the drilled hole in it... if you ever get the chance, post some more pics.
    wishing the best for Zeb.
    thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself ... keep on the hunt...✌️
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Up-North, the next time I am visiting my grandparents, I'll try to remember to get some more pictures of that celt.

Congratulations on member of the month Caleb, much deserved. Great bio, and always look forward to seeing your post.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike! Likewise, I always look forward to your Sunday posts.

Hey Caleb, Congrats on MOTM. I always enjoy your posts. You had the most interesting childhood. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Yes Sir Ron. At the time I was in Peru, I don't think I realized how blessed I was to have the kind of childhood that I did.

Congrats Caleb good to have ya here! I enjoy your posts and good bio too ....zebs on my prayers list
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother! I really appreciate your prayers.

Well done , Caleb. One of the family . Hadn't noticed you hadn't always been here.
    When I was a very young man I spent several months in Iquitos and navigated up the Puntamayo in a small boat. Hosted -and saved, - though that's too long a story to tell here - by locals, including Yaguar families. One of the most exotic and worthwhile adventures of a chaotic life. Really love that part of the world and plan to return one day.
    California

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      That's great that you have some good memories from Peru as well! My dad would occasionally fly in to Iquitos and he usually brought back some really good produce including some of the largest tomatoes I've ever seen.

Good for you knapper..You certainly make my days a little brighter, your sense of humor in the face of adversity can only come from the knowledge that God is in control of all of your lives, praying for the continued healing of Zeb ...Do you stay in touch with Miguel...P.S. love your art.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal, you speak the Truth about God.

I haven't heard from Miguel in years. I believe he went to a university in Cusco, but that's all I know.

Congrats Caleb, well deserved!!

Comment

Congrats on member of the month narrow way knapper....well deserved...appreciate your input and finds u share with our members....very interesting bio and looks like you've had great experiences in your youth.....glad your family is doing well and everything turned out ok......again congrats man and thanks for accepting and sharing your story...
      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Congratulations Caleb. you must have a lot of stories growing up the way you did. Thank you for sharing with us.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Congrats Caleb. I always enjoy your posts and sense of humor!
          South Carolina

Comment

Working...
          X