Irma 💨

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irma 💨

As a coastal dweller, I've been following Irma's track closely. Unless something changes, the Mid Atlantic looks okay.
    This goes out to not only y'all in FL, but to my buds in SC, GA, TN, KY, & WV. This storm is forecast to track inland, and although it will no longer be packing 175 mph winds, its rains could be deadly.
    I recall when Camille plowed into MS with winds about as strong and then tracked up the spine of the Appalachians. Folks in the foothills were inundated with floodwaters they had never seen before. Watch your local weather & heed the warnings.
    Good luck to those of you in harm's way.
    Last edited by Havenhunter; 09-07-2017, 08:05 PM.
    Child of the tides

Ditto that - I was stationed in Homestead, Fl in 92 when Andrew hit. We lost about 70% of our belongings but we got out safe. Our prayers are out for all hurricane victims and potential victims.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      You were brave. I've sat out Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene & Mathew here at the house, but I draw the line at cat 3 & above.

This storm will definitely cause havoc for millions of people.
    Tam is one of them, she and her husband have property in Florida.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Was going to head to CT next Tuesday but I am watching the weather and postponing plans til next week. Not usre what will happen ??? Prayers to all in the path of this Hurricane.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Scary times for lots of reasons. The ol weather man gets a bad rap but they have been giving good long range forecasts and warnings well in advance. It's a good idea for every person to have atleast a three day emergency supply pack. Along with some cash. Good luck to all those in the line of fire.

Comment

I have been following and it looks like it will hit the states we need to be prepared inland and the eastern seaboard. Thanks for your thoughts
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It has The Weather Channel all messed up. Actually I have Family out there, Cousin Thomas S. (and few more) is going to ride it out. He live's on The Beach, Oh well. Take's 3 day's to drive 150 miles and everyone had empty tank's? While watching weather channel seen some jerk with a pickup truck and the bed was completely filled with huge gas tank.

When Missouri get's hit by huge Ice Storm or earthquake along new madrid fault don't feel bad for me. I chose to live here.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Storms like Harvey & Irma affect all of us because the insurance companies raise rates enmasse to pay out on millions of premiums. Every time there's a big storm my premiums go up 10% whether the storm brushed by or was 1000 miles away.
              Last edited by Havenhunter; 09-08-2017, 07:19 AM.
              Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
                Scorpion68 commented
                Editing a comment
                You're absolutely right. It's just like uninsured motorist - we all pay. After Andrew my homeowners insurance doubled and almost exceeded my monthly mortgage payment. It's crazy. I know insurance companies tend to get a bad rap but we had State Farm Ins during Andrew and if it weren't for them, we'd have been up the proverbial creek. They gave us an initial payment of $3000 for relocation and within 7 days we had most of our payout which really really minimized our stress factor. They were quick and efficient inspite of the number of claims that they were processing. My agent said he hadn't had any sleep in almost 30 hours.
                Last edited by Scorpion68; 09-08-2017, 07:46 AM.

Hurricane Elena and Hurrican Alberto. I call hurricanes "Plummet Storms". Tampa Bay. I'll be heading out in the storm lol. Don''t do what I do. Just sayin'...
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                Tom stay safe man Irma is headed your way now.

We go out during and just after storms...
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                Hurricane butt crack. :-) :-) :-)

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I have to wait until the marshes drain & the horseflies leave the beach. Then it's time to hunt!

• gregszybala
                gregszybala commented
                Editing a comment
                Why is this not surprising? Har! Thanks for the laugh.

Stay safe all
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	989FF6F7-5D2C-4F85-B0AE-A6BAC41CEA10-4219-0000030FB7A447DD.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	264244 I remember Hurricane Carol in 1954, and I can remember sandbagging family property in Providence in what I think was Hurricane Donna around 1960 I believe. Not many big ones since then. I guess southern New England is long overdue, but it can remain so forever of course. The Great Gale of 1815 was no doubt a hurricane. September 23, 1815. Painting and engraving with views of Providence during that storm:

Name:	DE2433CF-488D-4794-B02C-684F9E79D4F5-4219-0000030F6E7E602D.png
Views:	64
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	264243
                Rhode Island

Comment

OK, this morning I am feeling the jitters.......!!!!!! They evacuated Zones A yesterday and B this morning. I'm in no "zone". But the wind!! Only about 60 percent of my county are staying put... No plywood. WOI!!
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                  Kyflintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm praying for your safety Tom as well as the rest of those who can't evacuate or are to stubborn. If you ain't got plywood I would try to find a substitute even if you have to use boards to cut up or salvage wood from some else. Anything that might help keep debris from shattering them. I'm hoping this thing weakens as many folks are riding it out...

• Havenhunter
                  Havenhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Godspeed, Tom. Are you sheltering in place?

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stay safe man The news says it has downgraded to cat 3 that is still bad in low lying areas. Praying for all my friends in Florida.

I live in coastal Alabama nowadays and figure we will be safe from Irma, but not so my sailboat Sun Dog. I thought she would be mostly safe when the track of the storm was projected to go up the east coast of Florida. Now it looks bad for her. Last December I sailed her from Perdido Bay (near Pensacola) to Palmetto near the southern edge of Tampa Bay and placed her for sale with a yacht brokerage firm and there she sits in a slip. Just have to wait and see what happens. I have lots of company. There are thousands of boats in that area that await the same fate as mine.
                I'll try to post a picture of Sun Dog. Consider this a "before" pic.

Name:	Blueground Range, Belize.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	264353
                This photo was made during one of my winter cruises to Central America and was taken while at anchor near a little island in Belize.

Name:	P1010060.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	264354
                Another "before" pic.
                This one was made at the marina in Palmetto. Yes, lots of other folks in the same predicament.

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kind of hard to click like on these pics Joe. I hope she avoids anything disastrous.

SJ, she's a beauty. The storm track at the moment should spare her. Keeping fingers crossed.
                One of my husband's ham radio buddies sailed his 36' to Iceland a month ago, got caught in a freak storm, & he & 2 of his crew had to be rescued by a Danish science vessel in high seas. His boat sunk-- no insurance. $100k + boat gone.
                Child of the tides

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh sorry to hear that. Man stories like that are painful even to read.
              Working...
              X