Just because I love you all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because I love you all

A little story about my first week on the job in a Retirement facility. I worked maintenance so I am used to listening to stuff electric motors, engines, compressors, conveyor belts, gear sets. Listening helps determine what is the concern. I walked onto a unit and an old lady was sitting in a wheel chair right in front of the nurses station. She was very ill and cancer was wreaking havoc on the poor woman. She just sat there saying ow over and over and over. Just around the corner there was another lady in a wheel chair. All of these folks were in ear shot of the nurses station where aides and nurses sat doing there daily records. Counted pills, recorded how much each resident ate, thier vital; signs and what not. Around the corner maybe only 15 feet away there was a second woman. The second woman looked at every single person as they walked by her and begged can you help me? My poor cat is down stairs and has not been fed. Every person walking by her would just try to comfort her and say we took care of the cat. They had thought this lady had dimentia so to comfort was the easy way out for most folks. She would then say you are not listening to me. " my cat my cat is starving!". As I walked by and heard her say you are not listening to me I stopped and just listened. I could hear that woman say ow over and over. the lady in front of me thought she was hearing meow and not ow. I mentioned this to the head nurse and they seperated the two ladies. It calmed the cat lady right down. The nurse asked what do you do here? I said Maintenance and she said I should have been a Nurse or a Doctor. She told me the woman complained about that cat for weeks before I got there. I learned a lot from experiences like that sometimes it is good to just listen rather than jump to conclusions.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

I like the story Hoss we have two ears and one mouth
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Oh, you work there, and are not a resident?

That's a good story! I find it interesting that you deciphered the problem in a relatively short amount of time. It might have taken me weeks...
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Matt, people like you make the world a better place. Keeping an open mind, and thinking before speaking and acting. God knows we need that.

Imagine how angry that woman must’ve been thinking her cat was neglected.

At at the end of the day pretty funny to think about, but my grandpa always says it sucks to get old.. we all will get there someday.
        Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't blink, time flies.

So She thought The Lady saying Ow was a Cat?
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          yup she thought it was MeOw

Matt, that remind's Me of a time I went to a Nursing Home with a couple Girl's that were doing a School Project. There was an old Woman (103 I think) that told Us She was getting out of There soon and We could All check out Her Garden. That always seemed kind of sad.

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
          OnewiththewilD commented
          Editing a comment
          i bet she went back to that garden again "after" though Josh...

Wisdom!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

My hat goes off to you for not only taking the time to listen Matt but in simultaneously understanding not only her concerns but also the cause.
          You are my hero.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Your a good man Matt . That’s not an easy job being in that environment . But then again it sure beats the heck out of the drama in an office or work place .
            The lady down the street , now this . Someone will be looking out for you .

Comment

Comment

That's right . Hoss was born and raised in Connecticut here in same valley I'm at ...if course he's a good man.....
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Awe, that's a nice story. Maybe it settled her mind a bit.
                  South Carolina

Comment

I visit an Uncle (one of the last 2...) at a nursing home every week. I have stories up the wazzoo about dementia and everything else that goes on in a nursing home. I get to know many of the residents. I swear I will stop eating and die before I get put into a place like that permanently. (so many people say this but few do). It is no life at all and a huge waste of life and money and resources. Just my personal opinion at this point,. I keep thinking and saying that if this was caveman days we would help each other over the death bridge no doubt about it. We do it for pets but not parents?!?!? Where's the Love? What a system...!
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

• JoshinMO
                      JoshinMO commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There was a Doctor that did that about 20 something year's ago.

Great call Matt. All too often we forget to listen and engage our mouths first. And in that environment, most people expect everyone has dementia and just want to placate them. Ya done good. Atta Boy Matt.
                    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Great story Matt and God Bless you for helping there. Listening is a lost art in our ADHD, right now society. Good job Hoss...
                      The chase is better than the catch...
                      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
                      X