Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember

On September the eleventh, seventeen years ago, 19 Al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and carried out the the biggest attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor. In all, 2,996 people were killed, including 343 firefighters, 72 police officers and 55 military members. Over 6,000 were injured. This does not even count the death toll on American military servicemen who died fighting Al-Qaeda in the war in Afghanistan.

Though it is still heart breaking to talk about it seventeen years later, we must also remember the hero's that rose out of the ashes to help one another in the wake of tragedy. New York fire fighters who rushed in to save as many as they could, not knowing that the towers were just about to collapse. Police officers, who directed people out of harms way, and even rushing into the buildings to try to rescue as many as possible. The military members, the civilians, the first responders: They all came together, did their part and sacrificed more than many could imagine.

My dad doesn't talk about 9/11. He was a firefighter for 28 years at Dulles International Airport. Unbeknownst to him, flight 77, carrying 53 passengers and 6 crew members, took off from Dulles at 8:20 a.m. with 5 hijackers on the way to the Pentagon. A few hours later, he walked into the break room, to find the entire fire department watching the TV, some in tears. He came in just in time to see the North Tower collapse. Then he saw images of the Pentagon, and at that moment, an alarm went off in the room. They were dispatched to the Pentagon. He spent the next 24 hours without sleep, putting out small pop-up fires, and tagging bodies and parts of victims. He told me this once, and never again.

But out of all this tragedy, we must remember to pray for the family's of the victims, the first responders who gave there lives to help others and the people who continue to suffer today, due to cancer while being exposed to the hazards of the wreckage. We must remember the patriotism that ensued afterwards. And we must remember those who fought to keep this from happening again, by conquering the scum of the earth, Al-Qaeda.

Let's pray for, and remember, the victims, the families, the first responders, and military members, this 9/11.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9-11.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	319089 Click image for larger version

Name:	us-outdoor-poly-max-flag-6x10-or-smaller.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	319090
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Never to be forgotten KP...ever...great post man...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thank you Ethan for posting this . While we all get caught up in our everyday lives we need to take time to remember the sacrifices that were made .
      This one fatal event charged everything .

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        This is just one illustration. We have forgotten Lexington and Concord. We have forgotten Gettysburg. We have forgotten Pearl Harbor. We have forgotten Iwo Jima. We have forgotten. And that's just it. In today's modern society of "me first" and social technology we have forgotten the past. We have forgotten the hero's that made their freedoms possible. If not for them, America would end up like a freedomless wasteland. We need to start remembering the past, studying it, and learning from it.

I’ll be 37 next month and I remember watching it unfold on tv. It was one of those events that stick with people and history forever, like when Kennedy was shot, or the Challenger disaster. Another dark day for America...
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Serious stuff KP good post
        SW Connecticut

Comment

The day is ingrained in my mind. I was in Denver and had taken over a furniture store I visited that store the day Columbine happened. The first time I saw fire trucks police not stop for signal lights to make safe passage. The day started that 9/11 going into work. the radio announcers, saying a plane hit the WTC me my mind went to a little piper cub had a pilot have a heart attack and fly into it. when I pulled into the parking lot they said another plane had hit the other tower thats when it became real for me. I opened up the doors and turned on the TV too see what heck was going on I saw both towers collapse.We sat at the store the whole day just watching as everyone else was doing. the few folks that came in did not know and just sat with us in disbelief. A day That I will not forget. Thanks for bringing it back forward of a nation that tends to forget to remember from daily life issues.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe that's what everybody thought. But when the second plane hit, their hearts just sank. They knew that is wasn't an accident then.

Some people may forget but I will never forget.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Ethan, I agree no American should ever forget Nine Eleven.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Ethan. Like most the report of a second plane hitting the towers was something you never forget. It made for a long day but a day I still remember with a great deal of pride. Locally, agencies that couldn’t agree on anything and government officials who normally wouldn’t speak to one another joined together with grim faces and began to strategize. If you were like us, we didn’t know what or who would be next. I was amazed at how quickly plans were made. No political speeches, no “my agency’s in charge”, no debates about money, it just happened. I had never seen anything like that nor have I since. It seems a bit silly now to look back at all the plans that were made and how unnecessary it turned out to be but I will always be proud of the way everyone came together. It was simply us against them and we were not even sure who “them” were at the time.
              Northern Ky

Comment

Amen to that Ethan! Thanks for posting this!
                South Dakota

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Where is the plane.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	319205 Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	319206

Those are my dad's firetrucks. I remember visiting the firehouse on the tenth anniversary, and climbing on the pumper in the background of the bottom picture.
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X