Michael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael

Well Hurricane Michael sure kicked Virginia in the derrière as he passed through. When the storm exited the coast via the warm waters of the Chesapeake Bay, its tropical storm-force winds exploded into hurricane strength in a final burst of wind, rain & tornadoes.

i spent part of Thursday evening sheltered in a walk-in closet as four tornadoes ripped through my county. Then came the flash floods & tidal flooding.

In its wake it took down two trees across my drive, tore down my power line, snapped my telephone/ cable pole in two, & destroyed my neighbor’s pickup by depositing a 100’ red oak in its bed. Will be out of power etc. for days. ☹️

Durn I hate these storms! 5 dead in Virginia. But the neighborhood has rallied & we cleared drives & roads yesterday so the utility folks can reach us when they do come.

A dear friend fed me twice yesterday & provideda hot shower. Thankfully my house was unscathed. To all of you who were in its path & suffered loss, my heart goes out to you.
    Child of the tides

Thankfully you are alright and two less trees to remove!
    These hurricanes seem to be getting worse and they really didn't see how bad Michael would be. So much damage, so many hurt, so many dead.
    Hope the rest of you that were in his path came out fairly unscathed.
    Glad you are okay Deb.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg. Many of the weather outlets made light of the storm once it exited N.C. but as it combined with a strong cold front moving in from the west, the winds on the backside hit close to 80mph. That’s what spawned the tornadoes. Scary night.

Michael was not very kind to me either Deb it really freaked my wife out watching huge trees fall around the house. Lucky none hit the house unlike my next door neighbor who had a huge tree smash through the house. Hope your power comes back on soon great you have such good neighbors.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      She was not alone in her terror. When the tornado alerts went out, many of us freaked out. Then the winds came & after a summer of seemingless endless rain, the oak trees in particular went over.

Watching the images on the news of the FL coast was shocking. I have never seen hurricane damage that bad before.

I heard that GA, the Carolina's and VA got hit very hard, but none are reporting it. I hope that you guys are okay. We will be praying for you.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Glad you are OK, Deb. Hurricanes cause PTSD for sure. I don't wish them on anyone but I wish you great hunting afterwards!!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought of you Tom with all the water and you going artifact hunting .

Glad to see you're well Deb and sorry to hear about the damage you and your neighbors suffered at Michael's passing. I remember from my past experience with hurricanes, the accompanying tornadoes do the most damage. But sometimes there's a silver lining, like Tom says, there might be some good hunting afterwards. All those who were in Michael's path are in my thoughts and prayers.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Ohhh sorry to hear that Deb. Good to know your home was not damaged. Do you have am generator?
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I have a whole house generator that sucks propane like a kid chugging a milkshake! Lol

Good your ok Deb I'm putting you and all of y'all on prayer list
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I am so very glad to hear that you survived without any real damage.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Glad to hear your ok Deb. I have been through a hurricane also. They are no fun , wish you all the best.
            east Tx.

Comment

Deb , glad to hear you and your home survived . I cannot believe my cabin is still there as it went directly over it as a cat 1-2 in strength . The town was with out power for days and I heard about trees taking out homes and family’s lost
              We believe the thousands of pines in the forest were a natural barracade against the winds .
              I do feel there will be some good artifact hunting like Tom said if there is any up side for all of us in the path . I won’t know the entire scope of it till I walk the property in a few weeks but at least hopefully there is water .
              Waiting to hear if the guy that watches it went in . But a friend went by and with the trail cams it’s still up .

Comment

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Tides are still too high to get out to the beach. We’ve had more tidal flooding this year than any other arhat I recall.

Hate to say anything happy at a time like this but sounds like
              you may find some artifacts in those costal areas .

Comment

Sorry to hear about the damage done to your place. I was not aware that your area suffered as much as it did. Where I'm located on the Gulf Coast about 100 miles west of Panama City, Hurricane Michael was practically a non event. There were higher tides than normal in the Bays and tidewater streams and some really big waves on the Gulf Beach but no real strong winds nor tornadoes and the rainfall didn't amount to much either. We had good luck this time..

Comment

I’m praying for you Deb, and everyone who has had a rough go of things because of this weather.❤️
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Very glad you made it through Michael relatively unscathed, Deb. I am absolutely amazed at the total destruction of that portion of the Florida panhandle that represented ground zero of this storm. I have never seen anything like it from a hurricane before.
                    Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
                      Havenhunter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree, Charlie, and the news yesterday said lawmakers throughout the SE were beginning to realize the danger their coastal residents are in as these storms intensify & sea levels rise.
                      Virginia was unprepared for the storm & four tornadoes in my county was unheard of. I’ve spent the last few days watching power, cable & phone crews string new lines throughout my neighborhood & heard one crew say they had already worked 80 hours. All that from the remnants of a storm that came ashore several hundred miles to our south. Crazy...
                  Working...
                  X