One year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year

It has officially been one year since I have joined this awesome website. When I first joined, I had no intentions of staying. I joined the first arrowhead forum I saw, just to ask one question. When I got my question answered, I hung around. I started to look at peoples finds, got to see Ron Kelleys knapping, and saw how friendly everybody was.

Before I joined, I had no forum experience. I didn't do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, MySpace, YourSpace, WeTube or YouTube, and I still don't. I only had two friends for a short while, but then they moved recently. I have been a home schooled kid for most of my life, and besides my brother, I never had any kids to talk to. I was always hanging out wth the grownups. It wasn't a bad thing, but I began to get lonely. When I joined, I could learn, and make friends at the same time. I felt like I was a part of something, and I was included in a group. Forgive my sentimental side of this story. I live in a semi-financially challenged family. My dad is a kidney transplant patient, so we usually don't go anywhere or go on vacations. My family has it's ups and downs, and whether you guys knew it or not, you were helping me cope with troubles.

When I first joined, I was scared silly about talking to strangers online. I had heard so many bad things about online fraud, stalkers and maniacs. When Jay contacted me the first month I joined to offer a flintknapping trade, my first thought was to avoid like the plague. But after a very short while, I knew everybody on here wouldn't hurt a fly, and I began to become friends with many of you. I accepted Jay's offer, I began to PM some people without worrying about cyber attacks, and became more comfortable.

I saw Ron Kelley's flintknapping posts, and then I began to knap arrowheads myself. Now, I have traded and sold arrowheads in several different states, and all the way over to Europe. It's fun, relaxing, and did I say fun? It was surprisingly easy to learn, and I still learn something each time I remove a flake.

I became a permanent fix on here when I found my first arrowhead. I was so excited about that, and y'all still see it from time to time. Since then, I have found a few more artifacts. I hope to find more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1108.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	374224

When I began to do more and more research on Native American cultures, I began to write about them on here. I haven't done my little history topics in a while, but I have several of them planned for very soon.

I am glad to be on here, and I thank all of you who have helped me, offered me guidance and correction, and those of you who have became friends with me. I hope to meet you guys in the future!

Thank you Arrowheads.com!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Ethan that is one heck of a straight from the heart post. Your genuine interest and ambition is wonderful. It matters none who you are or what you came from or where for that matter. Its a common interest that puts us all together. A passion we have for something...a quest...a want to know just why. It burns in you brother. Congrats on your first year. I have no doubt there will be many more to come.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey Ethan, Thanks for sharing your story. It is members like you who keep me coming back for more. You are mature beyond your years and I enjoy your posts. Thanks for all you add to this site.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ethan, I always enjoy your posts and your perseverance for knowledge and learning. You are wise beyond your years and I hope you always continue learn. You give me hope for your generation.
        South Carolina

Comment

We have watched You grow and drink Soda Ethan! Jay and Ron are both Great also.
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Also, I'm glad You are a part of The Forum Here Ethan.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Nice Ethan.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hey KP nice bio young man. Even though my join date says 2014my first post ever was last June 6th. Couple weeks before you! I found a 3.25 inch point in a cornfield here in CT that Hoss has hunted thousands of times .before he moved to Tennessee...so I put the point on here to ask him what it was. And he says...I'm in that field right now. I jump in the car and head up there .bout 10 miles away . Had no idea he was here visiting from tennessee.. just before I got there he finds a sweet Vosburg point not ten feet from where I found my best point my 3.25 inch Normanskill. Which he identified for me. Anyway I like this forum a lot and met a bunch of good friends. ...iIbeen posting ever since... I enjoy having you on here and checking out your many posts... Red
                SW Connecticut

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                  2ndoldman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember that post Red.👍👍👍

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a crazy cool story! Convenient location too.

Ditto to everything above Ethan. 👍Your enthusiasm is infectious my young friend.
                Hopefully the next time I am down your way we can do a meet and greet and possibly even get both you and your dad on metal detecting. 😉
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Kentucky point
                  Kentucky point commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know a few sites that have potential, but no permission yet. I think I can work on that.

I’ve been thinking of a response Ethan. I’m happy that your father received a kidney, dialysis is a tough way to live. Perhaps your thinking maybe there are things missed out on growing up. Thing is, there are things we all missed out on. My youth was similar or worse. I grew up in a alcoholic family. I thought that everyone’s parents got drunk every night, and fought. We ate a lot of red beans...One summer, I found my way to a Baptist church and youth group. They took me in, showed me that other families lived differently! One might say, I was saved by grace ! I’ll never forget holding my hand over a patched knee in class, because I didn’t want people to know we were poor.. Now it’s a fashion ? Here is the thing, I’m able now to do just about anything I wish . Here is my wish, for people to feel self confident and happy. Worth is not financial. I always respect everyone, and I always will. One thing that I’ve learned from people that grew up wealthy and lost everything , is that they are the most depressed people of all. I’m glad your home schooled. Here is the thing, continue going to school and go for a education that makes you happy in your work. Education is the key even if it does not pay great sums. Here, you have furthered your education. And I’ve learned a few things from you. That is important. Prehaps you’ll be a Archeologist some day...One last thing, it’s not what one makes, it’s what one keeps ! Stay sober in all ways. My grandfather was a poor farmer who had 4 sons and 12 grandchildren . He was the most wealthy man I ever knew !
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Josie
                  Josie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful words and advice, JJ.

I ,also, am very glad that you joined our forum, We have benefited from you presence every bit as much as you have from what the forum has done for you. I, similar to you, participate in 0, no, nada social media in spite of many temptations to do so, And that includes the Facebook pagey thing by this forum.Never started and never will. We each have our own reasons for the choices we make. I commend you for your choice. You express yourself in writing very well. Your enthusiasm, eagerness to learn and to share with others is wonderful. And it is infectious. That is an infection that folks sometime lose as they grow old. Your posts often do much to restore some of my lost entusiasm.

Comment

Working...
                X