A Tribute to My Pap Jerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh,

My condolences for your loss and thank you for taking the time to share a bit about your Pap. He sounded like an awesome grandfather.

Joshua
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I know of no better way to pay tribute to such a wonderful man Josh. Your Pap is proud of you my friend and so am I.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I like Jerry. He and I would have been friends. Our voices would collide in mid air over small things. He had a good laughter, didn’t he?
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Originally posted by Cecilia View Post
          I like Jerry. He and I would have been friends. Our voices would collide in mid air over small things. He had a good laughter, didn’t he?
          Yes Cecilia, he had a great sense of humor and a hearty laugh. He was a great story teller who could accentuate every detail and use it to make you laugh to tears or make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. One of my favorite stories he told was how he caught two escaped convicts coming through his basement window when the family left to go town. Every time they would leave the house the convicts who were hid out in the woods, would come in and raid the pantries. Pap hatched the idea to send everyone out and wait quietly on the basement steps with his SKS. Soon after on cue the convicts came crawling down into the basement. He let them get comfortably into the house before making his presence known telling them if they moved it would be there last. They broke for the window and one managed to escape but the other two immediatley went to there knees begging for mercy after Pap emptied half a clip in the wall beside them. They were lucky. Pap held watch over them till Granny made it back and they were taken back to jail. Serious story and not told with the same fervor as Pap but he told the whole thing with a few chuckles and a smile on his face. He was full of mountain wisdom and had a anecdote for all that ailed both mentally and physically. They just don't make 'em like him anymore.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

O o o. Life is so full of stories. And my favorite people can put you into the story being told. You write well. You inherited this; it is a gift.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Another good story Pap told was of a old drunkard named Roy who would walk up the holler to visit when he got skunked... Pap would catch Rattle snakes and Copperheads and the local snake handlers would come by and trade for his catch every so often. Pap thought that was plain crazy anyone would handle those snakes but had plenty of snakes to get rid of so it worked out good for him. Well every time time Roy would come up, he would pester pap to give him a Rattle Snake. "Jerry when you going to give me one them Rattlesnakes?" To Wich Pap would reply " I ain't giving you one of these dang snakes Roy, they'll eat your drunk rear up!. This continued on for quite some time until Pap finally had enough of Roy's pestering and relented. He put the Rattle Snake in a pillow case and told Roy to please be careful with it because it could bite through the material. Roy proceeded to assure Pap he would be just fine. Roy strolled off swinging that snake side to side with pride and didn't make it to the end of the driveway before he squalled out he'd been bit on the leg through the sac!
              Pap would just look down shaking his head as he told this story, Wich was much more colorful than I could tell here but he didn't think much of Roy's lack of smarts. Lol
              Last edited by Kyflintguy; 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM.
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It'll be hard without Pap around but I have plenty of memories and stories to pass on to the children. I plan on eventually adding some more stuff to this thread including news paper clippings and photos I'll be getting soon. I will also share some photos of the parts of his collection I've inherited when I can. Thanks again!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you shared those additional stories since my last visit to this thread. FWIW, I called my grandfather (on my mom's side) Pap also. But my grandmother I called Mammy. Pap was the first male adult that I have memories of, even before my father because at that time as a child about 2 years old my dad was in the Navy (WW2) That would've been about 1942. I have a few tales about my Pap but probably none as entertaining as yours. Thanks again for sharing. And BTW my Pap and Mammy were Kentuckians, too. Ohio Co.
                  Last edited by sailorjoe; 10-11-2019, 09:50 PM.

Very nice Josh , I read your story twice ! It brought me back to memories long gone bye with my family on a lake . Everyone was from Russia and the big table at the fish camp was Like my Pap to .
                Sounds like a great life .

Comment

Working...
                X