Heat Wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Wave

I have to say I think you guys up north sent me your hot weather šŸ˜€ weather in Atlanta is 10 degrees cooler than where I live which is only 50 miles north of it. I've seen 100 degrees many days already and its not even August yet. The worst thing is I'm getting rain but it isn't cooling at all seems like it just makes it hotter. What's your weather like I'd be interested in knowing.? Been so hot I can't hardly go outside even to a creek.
    NW Georgia,

It's been warm in western PA, mid to low 90's with a dew point at 70 degrees
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Snowing in Minnesota.... lol.... no really itā€™s hot and humid
      i want to make it to my new field later. Iā€™ve only found a few chips so far. Itā€™s rare for me to do a field search this late in the season...... the creek hasnā€™t coughed up any lately and Iā€™m looking hard.....āœŒļø
      Southeastern Minnesotaā€™s driftless area

Comment

Sunny and in the mid to upper 80s so far mid 90s by tuesday humidity 35 %
        Wyoming

Comment

Same here. Heat index for the past few days has been around 104 to 108. I think I can stand the heat, just not the humidity. It's awful. I'll take cold over this. Send some rain to SC. Think it's been about a month since it has rained here.
          South Carolina

Comment

Two hundred miles southeast of you, heat index 107 yesterday. Itā€™s like the air is heavy, and just sits on you, pressing down. Feels like sauna. Gonna say something lilā€™ crude my grandpa used to say: ā€œMakes you sweat like a June bride in a feather bed.ā€
            Digging in GA, ā€˜bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Josie
              Josie commented
              Editing a comment
              I know you live near Augusta, Georgia, which is the only place I think is hotter than where I live. I've been to Vegas when it was 114 and it was nothing like these hot, humid days here.
              Last edited by Josie; 07-19-2020, 12:16 PM.

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, ok, enough already, you got the job..Show up for work on Monday, Ch.9. 4:30 A.M. two dollars an hour and all the assorted rocks you can carry...Good luck weather gal... Iā€™ll be watching...

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Hal, I did wanna be a weathergirl! A meteorologist, to be exact, and an astronaut, and a geologist, and an archeologist.... But couldnā€™t get physics, too clumsy in chemistry, and Dad wouldnā€™t pay for archeology .... shucks

Heard on the radio not long ago heat index in the triple digits today again. I really wanted to do something tomorrow but I guess I wont. I'd be by myself and the last creek hunt my shirt was soaked just walking. I'd hate to get heat stroke by myself in the wilderness. Guess I have to stay home ā˜¹
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Or fall in creek, mess up leg, or get jumped by cougar or bit by rabid otter... I donā€™t go into woods by self, and just dig same ole property. Never worried w/Horse, even go miles during August dog days, but guess older, now, and heat makes me a lilā€™ pukey if dig tiny hole on own back property. All of us living in the South need be aware heatstroke!

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Quit burying your garbage in the back yard,lol.

96 in morning cooled and Hammered by afternoon thunder boomer rain pattern, This is prime point hunting season in Florida...
            Floridaboy.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              We had a rainy season in Florida for years but went away the last few years I lived there. Sounds like its back now. Used to cool it off some afterwards.

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Hal. because I think you and I are in the same age group, I don't think you are going out putting in the miles hunting field sites these days. If you are, you have my utmost admiration. My hips wouldn't allow me to do much walking on cool days.

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              I spent 60 Fla.summers painting outdoor billboards, it kills me when I pass all the new cleared areas,, every day I pass by this 30 ft.high piles of dredged dirt, thereā€™s a chainlink fence around em, one day I stopped, I kid you not, 15 feet away Washed down in the gullyā€™s. Were shark teeth waitin for the pickin, well, I asked the Forman if I could look for shells, he said NO.as I was leaving I noticed he was picking up triangle shaped shells, lol on me, what was I thinking,..P.S.i quit looking 20 years ago.

It is summer; ergo, it is hot. I feel good at 90 to 95F. and 80 to 90% humidity where I am in coastal Alabama compared to those poor folks in Phoenix. Don't say it is just dry heat until you have ever experienced that. I have and I'd rather have this. Anyone out there not have air conditioning in their homes? Back in the day when I grew up, very few folks had that. We did not. I feel real lucky today.

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Hate dry heat; much rather be in steamy jungle than arid desert.

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              I notice one does not appear to sweat in high dry heat. But thatā€™s only because it evaporates immediately. I always carried water when in the desert SW. All my trips out there were in July, and I had no problem, so long as I always had water nearby.

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              I was particularly referring to places like Phoenix with an elevation of only about 1000 feet where temperatures were the other day predicted to be above 110. Some of the high altitude deserts like in Utah with elevations over 4000 ft. don't usually get that hot. 90 where I live often has a heat index of 100. In Utah a temp. of 90 has a heat index of 90. Anyway we are blessed these days to have air conditioned homes, schools, autos, etc. It was not that way when I was a kid. Almost everything is so much easier these days. And easier in my youth than in my father's youth when he plowed horses as a teenager in Illinois corn fields. No air conditioned tractors for him in the 1920's.

Insanely ridiculously hot, Glenn and I are pretty much in the same bracket of heat and humidity.
            šŸœ šŸŽ¤ SW Georgia

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              South Georgia is usually hotter than here. But not this year. I'm still on the fence for tomorrow. I guess I will see how I feel when I get up.

95 degrees. Humidity over 75%. Heat index of 105 again today. I'm a cold weather guy. Always hated being hot. Anything over 65 and I start to sweat.
            Central Ohio

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              You guys up north have it rough terrible cold and snow and now the same heat I am having. The humidity was in the 80% all week. Last hunt weather said 85 and 60% humidity that morning boy were they wrong.

I just had to get a new ac unit last year I'm glad I didn't put it off. I even have a window ac plus the other central ac in the house. Hope the electric bill isn't a surprise
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I'm sure I don't have to tell anybody this but I'm going to say it anyways šŸ˜€, please stay hydrated if you go on any hunts, and take alot of breaks in the shade as needed.
              šŸœ šŸŽ¤ SW Georgia

Comment

• antmike915
                antmike915 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol; ain't that the truth. That actually happened on my last hunt; I had a red fruit punch one in my backpack (couldn't tell you how long it was in there, at least a month). I was in the middle of a field no where near my vehicle and I decided to drink it anyways. I actually felt worse afterwards, and had to leave earlier than I wanted too. So from now on I've decided on my igloo 2 quart (starting off with mostly ice of course).

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I have limited carrying space I usually carry a 20 ounce Gatorade in each back pocket but even iced they get warm fast. It was wet which helped I'm sure but didn't taste good. I drink the low calorie

• Josie
                Josie commented
                Editing a comment
                Freeze them for about 8 hours before you go out. Just don't let them sit in freezer for days because sometimes the plastic will rupture.

We have many hundred degree days, thank God the humidity is low, around 15-20%. If the humidity were up, I couldnā€™t go out either !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Not doing much today already a heat index of 100 degrees and its not even the hot part of the day yet
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SH, just listening to tomorrowā€™s weather report: 109 degrees! Humidity 85%, no rain.....
              Working...
              X