No announcement yet.

Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you are ok Deb. Sorry to hear your sick Harold get well my friend.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• HBird
      HBird commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Hoss

Harold, hope your 2nd test is negative too. Your symptoms sound worse than mine. So far my boyfriend has avoided it and he’s been taking care of me.
    Child of the tides

Comment

• HBird
      HBird commented
      Editing a comment
      I just received the results from my second Covid test and it to came back negative. Believe me on one hand I’m grateful for the negative results but on the other hand I wonder if it would have been better for a positive result. At least then I wouldn’t have to worry about getting this damn virus anymore and even more so I would know what has been kicking my behind for the last week. My wife seems to be getting what I have now, she’s been in bed all day but so far my two girls are ok knock on wood. Hope you feel better soon

Neither me, my family, extended family, friends or acquaintances that I know have had it yet. Out of everyone I personally know, they said they've only had one friend get it.

Does anyone know what happened to the flu?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

The flu & common cold are being held in check by mask wearing & hand washing. This virus is nothing to take for granted, even if you don’t personally know someone who’s had it. Think about it: if each one of us knows just one person who has been sickened by Covid, nationwide that’s a lot of people! Time for red and blue states to end the political ballyhoo and listen to the health experts. My county’s Christmas spike is here! Went from 2-5 cases a day to 27-35, every single day and I’m in a rural county.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• HBird
        HBird commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        If the mask wearing is preventing the common cold and the flu, why is it not stopping Covid?

Believe me, I am completely non-political about the whole matter. I have family members in their 80s, and I do not want them to get this deadly disease. But for one, masks are not the solution.

The Covid 19 particle size is about 70-90 nm while influenza measures at around 80-120 nm. The average pore size in a regular face mask (excluding M95s) is about 500 Microns. A simple conversion would put that at 500,000 NM. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think something 70-90nm can get through something that is 500,000 nm wide.

So, how do we solve this? Actually social distancing and enforcing crowd limits. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a store with people wearing masks, but not social distancing. That doesn't solve anything, it makes it worse! The wearing of masks lures people into a false sense of security, and cause people to get lazy with the social distancing. Not to mention all of the people improperly wearing them, diminishing any effectiveness they had at all.

Social distancing, and hand washing are the best remedies possible. If people actually washed their hands, that would be awesome...
        Last edited by Kentucky point; 01-17-2021, 07:10 PM.

I had it in July. Fever aches etc... my sense of smell still hasn't returned. 🙁Illness is mild for most.
      central Texas

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully your sense of smell will return. When a friend lost their sense of smell, the doc told her to try “retraining” her brain by smelling a variety of things every day: lemons, perfume, lotions, vinegar, shampoos... in hopes these scents would eventually reactivate the sense of smell. She says it has helped but it’s a daily routine.

Here is a terrible fact. One day I had to cover someone's lunch. It was a spot where I just had to basically stand there in one spot for an hour. I counted 40 people either without a mask or using it as a chin guard. I have to work to pay my bills.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here... I have to work and work ON people. Temps are checked and masks worn but I really have no idea where they have been or who they have come in contact with. It's been especially bad during these holidaze when we've been essentially quarantined except for work since April and people are gathering, partying like no tomorrow down here in St. Pete. No tomorrow??!?

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Here to they have get together then complain when they get sick. But when the payments come due at the end of the year we will see what happens. I'm thinking major financial disaster.

Well it’s certainly a false sense of security when folks wear masks below their noses or under their chins. The virus can also enter via the eyes if social distancing isn’t maintained. But not doing anything isn’t the answer either.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I never said don't do anything, I said enforce social distancing. Unfortunately the virus particles are so small, that the only thing that might work is an N95 mask, which of course, is needed by folks in the medical field. I am socially awkward and a germaphobe, so socially distancing by not going to places where folks congregate is my deal.

As a writer I am a natural introvert. Being alone has never been a problem. Except for missing dining out with friends, going to the gun range & seeing my family, life has gone on as usual for me until the pseudo Covid bug hit. That’s when I realized that despite all my precautions, as you pointed out, was not enough to prevent a virus from infiltrating my mask. The more people who shed their masks & gather, the greater the risk.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        My mother is still alive and I'd like to go visit but I'm afraid I will carry the virus to her. So far I've stayed home. I just don't know how many visits I have left.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Considering Covid, I am glad for you you are introvert. Extroverts like me need other folks’ company like we need food. My psyche is slowly starving, and may be more damaged (than was before Covid)!

I get that. I feel like I’ve been robbed of a year of my life seeing my kids & grandkids.
      Child of the tides

Comment

My mom lives in assisted living. She and the other residents have Covid now. Hopefully they are on the mend now. It's been about 12 days since she tested positive. I have to say that the CDC has to allow in person visitation soon. It's been since March of 2020 since I last touched my mom. She understands why I can't visit but her understanding does not make matters easier. I was allowed to visit her outdoors in order to tell her that her younger sister had passed away from complications of Covid. To deliver this news and not be allowed to hug her or touch her ripped my heart out of my chest. I was devastated when I had to leave her without hugging her. I'm spoiling her as much as I can while she's on lockdown. I take flowers and pictures whatever I can to keep her spirits up. It's kind of funny because she likes candy and she will call me to bring her peanut m&m's. So I'll make the 1 1\2 hour trip to take her all the candy she wants. Now that she has tested positive, her vaccination date is pushed out but hopefully she will have some immunity until then. Her age group really needs to see their doctors. My mom broke her back last March and has only seen the physician assistant that comes to the facility. It's crazy. These are definitely crazy times.

Regarding Covid on a personal note, I had it in March 2020. I guess I caught it either in the ER, Urgent Care or Dr's office with my mom. I was sick. Temp 103, and I lost 2 days of my life. I never got out of bed. It was very difficult for me to get my energy back. My taste and smell would come and go for six months. The one thing I noticed was that I had a hard time walking around my fields artifact hunting last summer. Left me with no measurable vitamin D in my body. I explain to my friends to wear the mask, wash hands and social distance because it's not about us as middle aged friends or younger getting it, it's about one of us unknowingly transmitting the virus to an elderly or immune compromised person and it killing them. We can mitigate those chances if we are more careful.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Josie, I did not know Covid had come to your mom’s residence! My mom turned 91 on Friday, and she lives 20 mins away. I talk to her every day on phone (yell, really, since she’s so hard of hearing), but haven’t seen her almost a year because afraid I’ll take bug to her. Have friend see in public forum (50-75 people) once a week where we all have to wear masks, and our seats and standing places all marked on floor 6’ apart. She now has Covid, and in second week of quarantine with her family of 10. Told mom just put her b’day gift with Christmas gift and will leave on porch. This makes me really sad, because we all are huggers....
          Last edited by Cecilia; 01-20-2021, 06:43 AM.

My younger daughter and her family & I are optimistic that by August Covid numbers will have declined & many of us will be vaccinated. We’re so optimistic that we went halves on a beach rental on Emerald Isle. We have until July 31 to cancel and get our deposit back if we’re wrong. It will be the first time I’ve seen her & the grandkids in 1 1/2 years by then. Keeping fingers crossed our gamble pays off. To walk the beach searching for shark teeth & enjoying a drink out on the rooftop deck will be a dream come true!
        Child of the tides

Comment

Popped on here to look for an answer to my latest artefact query and saw this. It's been a few days since this post, but I wanted to add my experience. I have not had it yet. I tend to preserve my health at all costs, but I had some friends who were more lax. My 58 year old friend caught it at her office at the holidays when a few co-workers were 'loosening up a bit", she passed it to her husband, 2 adult children, and their 2 kids. Her husband passed it to his 2 buddies in our small, secluded community when they went to a restaurant. One of these men passed it to another friend when they drove somewhere together. Over a dozen sick from one infection that came from a workplace. Yes, most everyone has recovered, but it looks very likely we might lose one 59 year old, vibrant, active man. Please be careful and don't let your guard down because it seems that occasionally there is no rhyme or reason for who gets hit hard by this thing.

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re right, and for the life of me I have no idea where or how I caught it. I wear masks (& am now double masking), use hand sanitizer after shopping & pumping gas, etc., wipe down groceries, keep shopping bags out of the house, & wash my hands after being out.
        Working...
        X