No announcement yet.

The waiting is the hardest part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to wait for some rain Trav or some really heavy dew before the points will show. Hardstone is easy to spot but the rest won't pop much until then. Good luck
    Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 03-19-2021, 10:43 PM. Reason: Added word
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it’s a fresh 24 degrees outside this morning. No rain in the forecast until Tuesday but hopefully something will turn up.

Well I hate to be a downer but now I’m waiting on the he rain. My area of Michigan is dry, dry, dry. Last spring at this time we had more rain than we could handle. Really need a good gully washer in the fields.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      It rained here again today. Needs to dry some before they can plant. I am excited my black and white field has some piles of chicken scratch on it which means they might disc it.

I'm still waiting on a day without rain. 😕 next 3 days big rains I'm wondering if it will ever stop.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      All that rain should be bringing out the good new finds I hope.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't even hit all of my permissions before the next flood comes. After tomorrow they are calling for more next week

Well I finally got some rain but I can’t get into my main permission field. The farmer rotated from corn to beans and planted early. I’ll have to wait until the plants are up high enough so I won’t trample them.
    🥳

Comment

Well back to the waiting game. We went from literally a severe drought to nonstop rain and flooding. With no new permissions and the crops growing fast, high and thick hunting is on hold for now. Don’t even ask about the mosquitoes aka “ The Michigan Air Force”. Keeps posting those finds folks. Helps hold me over till the next score.

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        You have to hit those creeks up there. I'm city bound down here. They're literally starting to stack big condos six stories high now because there's no more farmland to be had. I still survive by finding small plots of land I'm allowed to hunt, basically in people's backyards with little feeder creeks that flood. It's not as productive as a big open farm field but I do get lucky every now and again. Plus no plow damage.

Maybe the creeks will drop for you so far it just keeps raining here every day in the afternoon.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

The waiting has become bittersweet. My brother-in-law passed away last week after a battle with brain cancer. He was a dear friend and artifact hunting partner. His passing has made this winter seem a little longer and a little colder than usual. He and I couldn’t wait for the fields to be plowed and a fresh season of hunting to begin. We always celebrated a hunt with a cold beer on the patio afterwards. Successful or not we always had a good time. This spring I’ll be back at it but I won’t go alone. I’ll be carrying his memory with me and that’s worth more than any artifact I can ever find. I’ll still have that beer afterwards and enjoy it with a smile.

Comment

• UpNorth
          UpNorth commented
          Editing a comment
          👍

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for your loss Trav prayers going up for your peace of mind.

So sorry for you and all Trav. You know he'll be along with you this spring as well.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

We’ll all of my big plans for new permissions to hunt fell through this season. I’m back to two sites now. One went fallow and one went no-till. With the passing of my brother-in-law in February my sister has sold their house that was a mere 400’ from my hot spot. I still can hunt the field but it turned no-till this spring and with no one nearby to give me field updates it’s gonna be hit and miss getting out there. So the waiting continues .
          🎉🎉🥴

Comment

• Pishtaka
            Pishtaka commented
            Editing a comment
            Does no till mean 0 chance of artifacts for you, or does it just make the numbers drop below what makes it worth going out to look?

I search 100acres of untilled land and it's my most producing spot. I am sure it'd be better if it was tilled, but I still go out there and find something at least for every 2-3 hours I look in those fields. I hope the farmer tills it sometime soon. Usually they till it every 4-5 years even if no-till, I've been told from local farmers.

• Uncle Trav
            Uncle Trav commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I still will spend hours in that field. Plowing brings up new stuff every season and now it’s no-till so that slows the finds
            way down. I’m far from down and out! Just gripping about the situation LOL
            Last edited by Uncle Trav; 09-18-2022, 07:44 PM.

Getting harder and harder to find permissions with worked land.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well after permission fails and no-till problems. I may have a chance at something. My hotspot that ent no-till last year just got a heavy disc. Gonna hit it tomorrow. I’ve been on a long dry spell so hopefully something may turn up. Time ta kick dat dirt!

Comment

• Mailman
            Mailman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm right there with ya. Bannerstone site got a good disking, early this week. Good soaking rain at sunset, today. You know where I'll be, tomorrow!
        Working...
        X