RIP Maegan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Maegan

I have been thinking about posting something about this since it happened. When i saw this topic, i decided to go ahead and get it out of my head. Hope it is appropriate.

One of my favorite places on this Earth is a branch of horse creek off of highway 69 in walnut Grove, TN. I'd go there with my buddies and drink beer, take girls the and go by myself and walk for miles chasing wild smallmouth. This past year i added artifact hunting to the list. It is full of artifacts. About a month ago i pulled off the dirt road And down to gravel bar to unload my kayak. I looked down and saw a broken corner notch base. I scanned the rest of the bank. As i looked downstream, i saw some blankets washed up on the next gravel bar. I took one step towards them then stopped to check the text msg that just came thru. My best friends father just had a massive heart attach and was not expected to live more than 2 his. I was an hour away, so i forgot about the broke point and the blankets and headed for the hospital.
    on my way back from the hospital, i stopped by my grandparents house to say hello. As soon as i walked in, my grandfather was asking me if i knew where they found that missing girl. I told him i did not. He informed me that they found her wrapped up in blankets a few hundred yards from the bridge where i go fishing. It immediately hit me that that's what those blankets were that i saw that morning. A group of people searching for arrowheads found her about 4 hours after i had been there.
    The next day, i decided to go back. The water had just gone down and the day before i could literally see the artifacts on every gravel bar. But most of all i wanted to get back to my favorite spot and make sure it was still there. I am definitely not the most religious person, but i stopped and said a prayer when i pulled up. As i was unloading my kayak, someone pulled up and parked on the bridge, in the middle of a traffic lane. As he got it of his car, i saw the expression on his face and knew that it was the girl's father. I've seen that expression on too many faces of parents who have lost their children. I looked down the back where the blankets were the previous day. The was a large pink "X" there.... The gentleman came down and introduced himself. He asked me if i had been floating the River. I told him what happened the previous day. He saw the pink "X." He played out the scenarios out in his head, then out loud. "So he shot her in the head, wrapped her in blankets, weighed her down with rocks, threw her off the bridge into the deep water. She was there for the past 8 days, until she floated up and got stuck on that gravel bar." It was surreal. I felt sick. All my problems and worries in life suddenly felt extremely selfish as i listened to this man run a play by play of his only daughters murder.
    Maegan Gamill had been missing for approx 10 days before that group found her. There was a guy in custody. The cops had the gun and a shell casing. They were just waiting for someone to find her body. Shortly after i got my kayak in the water the second day, a young family showed up and had a picnic on the gravel bar. I do not know if they knew what had happened there the day before.
    On a personal note, i have dealt with a lot of death recently. My aunt had a heart attack at my grandma's funeral. She died in my mother's arms as she was trying to revive her- in front of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. My boss was helping me with a large function at work last summer. We were working side by side, suddenly he wasn't standing there anymore. He was on the ground, blue. Massive heart attack. Died before he hit the floor, paramedics said. After they took him away, the GM came in and announced that he has passed away, "but show must go on, so get back to work, that's what he would have wanted." He showed up after everything was over. He did not know what my people had been thru. I sent them all home and finished the event by myself. I haven't been back to work since. Many people still blame me for his death. He was there helping me....i know it was not my fault. But that doesn't change their minds. My Best friend's little brother died of drug overdose. My girlfriend's best friend was shot in the face and died. She had 2 other friend pass away from drug overdose. Some of her friends started getting into trouble and she had to cut ties with her childhood friends. She's the only one of them still alive and she feels guilty about it... Been a rough year, but I've learned you gotta keep moving forward. No choice, have to. That's life.
    i hope i didn't go on too long, it did feel good to get this out of my head. Thanks everyone. I hope nobody else has the kind of year i have had..... Stay safe

Weird what comes across our path in life. So sorry for the loses you have had.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well Pickwick I don’t know much about anything but it seems like the curtain was pulled back so you could witness multiple tragedies and sadness...I don’t know why some are allowed to experience more pain and sorrow and others are shielded...but I do believe, although it might not seem that way, that amidst the calamities of life God is certainly on the throne and in control...A hard concept to believe in a world of hurt...Romans 10 :17, So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God....Thanks for sharing...
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 05-27-2021, 12:13 PM.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Hey man . Usaid u weren't religious. ..... And that's a lot of unfortunate bad stuff you went through this year hope you have a better year and I suggest that hey maybe go to church man and check out God andn Jesus and you'll have better years from now on .....sorry about all them losses in your life man. And keep hunting for artifacts
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I’m glad you were spared from finding the body, but still traumatic. Sorry for your losses.
          South Dakota

Comment

Pickwick , we all grieve in different ways . Putting it down in words is a type of , closer , and a way to grieve .
            Trust me I know ! No one is alive in my family anymore .
            I still blame myself for not being there for my best friend my Brother who to had a massive heart attack . I was suppose to be on the plane a week before to help take some of his stress off from life and his daughter . But no I stayed another week for work . With heart attacks that’s it that light switch is off in most cases so there is nothing you could have done . I just laid in my closet and threw up for months grieving . Just when I thought the worst of my life was over loosing both my parents and step mom and the same month my step sister died at 21 . It was bam bam bam .
            The story is way worse but it gives you a perspective that you are not in this alone . We all loose our loved ones and friends . You cannot blame yourself .
            You are carrying the weight of that fathers words and they lay heavy on your mind . Just know you were a part of his grieving process . He might be saying gezz that poor guy I laid into with my thoughts . Well that’s life and human nature so embrace you were there for that poor father . You did good , sad as it seems .
            prayers 🙏

Comment

Healing prayers ....
              2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

I'm glad you felt comfortable to share with us. God bless, friend.
                Western Kentucky

Comment

Thani you all so much. It helped a lot to get that, out. Your replies and kind worries

Comment

Thank you all so much. It helped a lot to get all that it. Your replies and kind words helped even more. Thanks
                    here are the points i found that day. Place full of artifacts. Apparently e entire state of Tennessee is as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_201219.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	558868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_201214.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	558867Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_201249.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	558870
                    im just outside of Clovis, nm Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_201214.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	558872 im driving from TN to SF Bay. I'm currently just outside of Clovis, NM. I pulled over to watch a storm. The clouds seem to be pointing me in a particular direction... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_202026.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	558873Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210528_202026.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	558871
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
                      Cecilia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I read your first post shortly after you submitted it, and did not respond. Sometimes words don’t come. But when you eventually followed it with these pics of things about which we all are in awe, strongly felt the human circle and the ties of empathy that bind us to one another. I know that we’re gonna be ok.....

Man, be careful.

I spent the summers of my youth not far from that area, and there’s all types of folk in those hills. Some as good as gold, some with no regard for human life, and everything in between. It’s beautiful country, the kind of place where I see God everywhere I look.
                    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I appreciate it. I've made this trip several times now and realize the hills have eyes, so to speak. I've also come to realize that there are crazy people everywhere.

Comment

Thanks Cecelia. Very much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X