No announcement yet.

Wish me luck/pray for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I interview a lot of people for different jobs.

My best advice would be to think of a couple of things you want to say about why you are excited about the job, company, position, future. Have a few things and make sure to work them in the conversation. Half of the job market now is finding people who will stay long enough that the training is worth the effort. (I've had 2 people leave midway through their first shift this week.)

Think of a scenario where you had to deal with stress, or a difficult time and you learned something. (That's a popular HR question.)

And don't be afraid of a little silence or a pause while you think of what you want to say. A fish that doesn't bite at everything doesn't get caught with a wrong answer. "I don't know, but I'd love to learn" is a fine answer to some questions. They don't expect you to be an expert at the job, but trying to sound like one can be a red flag (someone who is hard to train.)
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      The good thing is, I have a pretty good basic knowledge of this position, but I did say to the HR guy on the pre-interview phone call that I was willing to learn, and hoping to stay with the company. This isn't something I would leave.

You were here when I joined, and I found you smart, amiable, funny, and certainly wise beyond your years. The universe has big plans for you Ethan!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I sure hope it goes/went well for you Ethan. Somehow I missed your thread till today and depending on the time of your interview it may already have occurred. No telling how many other applicants they had. Sometimes good railroad jobs are in high demand. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Comment

KP if your posts are any indication of what your like in person then you will nail it. Just by reading your posts over the years I can see that you are a good man. Your gonna do just fine young fella...just fine.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Kentucky point - good luck to you!

Comment

Ok it’s Wed ???what happened ??

Comment

The interview was held on Monday. I think I did okay.

It was more of a tribunal than an interview. There were four interviewers, with each person taking turns asking questions. They asked a lot of hypotheticals such as, "If we were to ask you to paint the sidewalk, even though it's not in your job description, what would you do?" "If a large order suddenly needs to be filled, and you are only able to patch a car and not do a full weld on it, would you feel disappointed?" It was a weird line of questioning, but I think I handled it well.

One question was, "If we ask you to paint a locomotive blue, and you take five days to prep it, and three days to paint it, and at the end of all that work we changed our minds, and we wanted it painted green, what would you do?" I said "Well sir, I will get paid for painting the locomotives, not choosing their colors, so I'd start over". Apparently they all liked that answer because they all smiled and wrote that quote down.

One of the interviewers came up to me at the end and said that I did very well for my first interview. (it was, and I told them so prior to the interview).

The problem comes with the other folks they'll be interviewing. The interviews end tomorrow, and they'll pick a couple of guys for the position out of X number interviewed. I just hope I make the cut.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like you are interviewing for a Carman job?

You’ll knock that out of the park. It’s a good job. Good pay, good benefits, and like my Grandad always told me, they got a pension!

*and I get to the bottom and see you didn’t get it.

Yet.

Don’t give up on what you want.
                Last edited by Jethro355; 03-30-2022, 07:36 PM.

I like your attitude. I have interviewed literally thousands of people. Many come totally unprepared as if they gave no thought to the interview. Some show up knowing everything and want to discuss salary before we get started. There is a perfect mix of confidence but attentive that always gets my attention. Sounds like you might fall right in the sweet spot.

Comment

Sounds like you did good for your first interview.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ethan, every real-job interview I had was exactly as you described. But I was a woman in man’s world. Times change, but quality does not. You got quality. Remember that.
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

They were checking to see if you could be a team player. Unfortunately now days it’s not about what they want or who they like even though they have to go through all the steps like they are right now with you. When it’s all said and done it’s HR that picks what they need for the job. I’m still hoping you got it but if you didn’t just keep applying and don’t get disappointed. Eventually you will get your turn.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Today I learned that I did not get the job because of a lack of job history. Apparently moving 600 miles away from everything I knew and loved wasn't enough of a clue for them.
                      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well now that’s not considered . I know your many young men that have relocated from family in very undesirable states compared to the one they came from for a job . Clovis is in Hong Kong . I would like that but not many .
                        Its a big deal working in that line of work . Your young Ethan . Get into a job very related to that field or at another level in the Co . If you want it bad enough you will get it . I did not get every thing I wanted the first time on many things in life .
                        I read a billionaire say ask this:
                        what is the best attribute of your top employee .
                        I think you did great but you have to go through this to know what to expect the next big interview for whatever job . I only lost one interview and I truly believe I just did it for the experience .
                        What everyone said above is solid advise .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                          Kentucky point commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm honestly thinking about joining the army now, while it's still peacetime and I can choose what I want to do.

Hi Ethan. I'm sorry you didn't land that railroad job. I interpret your statement "lack of job history" as meaning you have not held enough jobs or have been unemployed for long periods. I don't know your story. But an employer often looks for a resume that includes a history of working and getting good recommendations from other employers even if the jobs are not directly related to the job for which they are applying. Their pick probably was someone who stood out in that category. On entry level jobs they often will teach you what you need to know. Of course if you have skills directly related to the one for which you are applying then that is a plus. Lots of work everywhere, get something if you are not already working.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                          Kentucky point commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I worked for a friend for two years, with set hours and with teams of people. They said that it didn't count because it wasn't an actual "company".

• sailorjoe
                          sailorjoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, I think you know what you will have to do. Good luck.

Sometimes prayers get answered in a different way than expected. This could be one of those times.

Comment

Working...
                        X