X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapers?

SCRAPERS?
    Posted by [ksrocks]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2010 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

I would like opinions on how you date your scrapers. I have many, they are very common here like all other places Im sure. How do you know how old they are? Been told they are as old as the points and other pieces you find around them. If found in fields thats fine but what about river or creek finds where moved around by water? How much have they changed over thousands of years? Opinions anyone. Will post pics. of some of my favorites if anyone shows interest.

Posted by [Wildhorse]
    I post a photo of the only one I have. We always found lots of scrapers and not a lot of points with them. If we were into a area of the camp that had a lot of points we did not find many scrapers. Goes to tell me that the men who worked with the points did not have a lot of scraper tools in the area around them. We would find scrapers around the firspits and a few scattered around the site. Always figured there was very little difference from very old camps to the newer places. There most likely were a lot of different uses for these things as all the different sizes you find. I had some as big as your fist and lots of small ones. I kept this one because it is the first artifact I ever found and that was a long time ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21588.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	437596 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21589.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	437597

Posted by [ksrocks]
    Thanks Ron, is that one rock or p-wood? How old do you think it is just time period?

Posted by [Wildhorse]
    It's pt wood and I have no idea of age. I was only 5 or 6 when I found it.

Posted by [ksrocks]
    Very sweet 5 years old and you can remember thats great Ron.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [ksrocks]
    Ron this was my first find as a collector. I carried it around in my pocket for a week to show everbody. Little thumb scraper, was so proud & still am. It got me started on something Ill never stop doing!!

Name:	image_21590.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	437604 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21591.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	437605

Posted by [kyheadhunter]
    Wow those are sweet ksrocks and wildhorse. Here's one of my personal favs. I have found most of mine at what I feel must of been longtime campsites. Since I feel the women were mainly responsible for the scraping of the hides and such, it would make sense to me for more to be found where the women would be working. Do you think the men also got together and worked on making their points for the next days hunt in a location away from the women or how do you imagine it.
    Picture quality is not so good as always...maybe one of these days I'll learn how to take a decent pic, but until then....
    jane

Name:	image_21592.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	437606

Posted by [CliffJ]
    To try to answer the original question- MOST scrapers cannot be positively dated. Some can be guessed at being older than others because they may have graver spurs or other tools as a part of the work surface. Many believe that uniface means "old", but that is not correct as later people also used modified flakes for tools. Hafted scrapers can be dated by the type of hafting notches, just like types can. But since scrapers were used over thousands of years, unless you are on a single component site, your scrapers could be almost any age, usually.

Posted by [flint_illustrator]
    It is very hard to tell once it has been washed into a stream. One way to tell if if its an Exotic material carried in from 100's of miles away. I have attached a photo of a scraper that was found in SE Nebraska made of Flat Top Chert from Colorado about 300 miles from where if comes from.
    It has all the characteristics of a Paleo type scraper. The exotic material not from area that area and the graver on the side. This scraper fits in with alot of the Clovis/Folsom scrapers that have been found on Clovis/Folsom sites.
    Hope this helps.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...l/CIMG4358.jpg not found
    http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...l/CIMG4357.jpg not found
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Hey Jane thanks for your post. That is a nice piece, it slays me they would put so much time into some scrapers & some you can tell probably made maybe for just one use. I have some favorites will try to post later,football now!!

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Cliff & Kenny thankyou much for your posts. Very good information from both of you. Cliff I have one with hafting notches & Kenny have couple think have gravers. Will post pics. would appreciate your opinions, thanks Joe!

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Jane, here are a few of my favorites.

Name:	image_21593.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	437607

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Heres two I think have gravers?

Name:	image_21603.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	437611

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Heres one that has notches.

Name:	image_21595.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	437608 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21600.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	437609

Love those bands on those KS end scrapers. Good finds! That brown one does look like it might have a graver yes. Take some closer pix of that one if you could please.
      Thanks

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Ok Kenny will try tommorrow, gittin late watching ball game got to get up early. Thanks for reply joe.

Posted by [utilized flake]
      here are a couple of my fav beveled end scrapers

Name:	image_21602.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	437610

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Very nice! Whats material of two on right front?

Comment

Posted by [ksrocks]
        Hope these are little better pics.

Name:	image_21604.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	437612 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21605.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	437613 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21606.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	437614

It does look like what you would see as far as paleo scrapers off sites.
        It could be. Nice find either way.

Posted by [ksrocks]
        Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Posted by [RyanVa]
          Scrapers are underrated imo. I like finding nice scrapers as much as a good point. Here's a few of my favorites.

Name:	image_21607.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	437615 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21608.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	437616 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21609.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	437617 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21610.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	437618 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21613.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	437621 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21611.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	437619 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21612.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	437620

Posted by [ksrocks]
          Very nice scrapers Ryan, I agree very underrated artifact. Really like the small thumb with bullseye. Thanks!

Comment

Posted by [ksrocks]
            Old computer quit, just a test on uploading Pics. with new one. Went from Dell to HP editing Pics. lot different. This is just a rough one.

Name:	image_21614.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	437622

geez ryanva are you cornering the market on paleo end scrapers? j/k those are sweet lithics man~

right one is chalcedony middle is quartzite and all the others are rhyolite~

Posted by [wmwallace]
            Jane, there is nothing like hornstone, that is a great looking material for sure, it was just meant to be made into an artifact!

Posted by [shartis]
            Some S.C. scrapers

Name:	image_21615.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	437623 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21616.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	437624 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21617.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	437625

Posted by [ksrocks]
            Those are really nice Samuel, really like the quartz ones. Just don't see that here or should say I haven't found one. The one to the far right on your last pic. with partial cortex still there , found a couple like that last summer in the same plowed field. Most other scrapers found there are different rock & worked a lot cleaner. Will post pics.

Comment

Posted by [ksrocks]
              Here are three of them found same area. Yours and mine found so far apart but still look so much alike thanks for posting Joe!

Name:	image_21618.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	437626

Posted by [shartis]
              Thanks -Ya'll have some nice ones to-here is a few more

Name:	image_21619.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	437627

Posted by [macgrube]
              Those are all sweet scrapers B) I agree with Cliffj, most scrapers can't be dated.
              The oldest culture to use scrapers in North America was the Clovis people. In Southern Colorado where I live it's estimated that some Clovis sites are 11,000 years old. I've found spurred scrapers near known Clovis sites, I hope they are Clovis Scrapers or Paleo end scrapers.

Comment

Working...
              X