This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite What's yours

This is by far my favorite kind of arrowhead we find up here. Less than one inch very thin and beautiful agate material. We find these by the dozen broken. Very rare to find one that is not. You just know they were only good for one shot, miss and they broke, hit and they broke. What other than Clovis is your favorite type? Today is the first day of winter and what a better way to spend time that talking about artifacts. Thanks guys for the chance.

Automatically assume everyone likes Clovis eh? :laugh: You are probably right.
    I like Archaic blades/knives. Right now ,anyway, I need some serious hunting time to really get an idea.

Comment

Of course everyone wants a Clovis! I think Cody knives are the most unique out there. I am dying to find me one! I also love the metal points. It's a fascinating group of artifacts because it is the transition from stone to modern Manifest Destiny. It's amazing how quick the Native Americans picked up on working metal. It can be a sad and sore subject to talk about, but one that validates the interaction between the settlers, trappers, and Natives...

Comment

How very true. Somewhere I have a case of stone points, Indian made beads and steel tools made from nails along with glass beads that all came from a single campsite up in the hills. I'll find it and post a photo of that transition time you speek of. I have never found metal points but have heard they made a lot of them from the steel wagon wheel rims.

Comment

Found that case. I did a drawing of the campsite. It was right up against a cliff wall. Had several piles of stones around the outside and the firsplace in the center against the wall. Enter from the up wind side. This camp was blown out and all the artifacts were scattered inside of the rock piles. Of course no logs left against the wall. This we just guess at as the rock piles look around the outside. I am sure that there was a wall of somekind as no artifacts outside of the rock piles. There was three of us that day so what I have is only 1/3 of the artifacts. What fun it is to walk into such a place and pick up so many artifacts. There are stone points, glass beads, Indian made bone beads,bone tools and tools made steel. Best steel artifact is in the center top. It is sharpened both ends and must have been a punch.

Comment

That is an awesome site!  I wonder why there weren't any metal points though?  My friend that finds hundreds of metal artifacts finds a lot of trade beads associated with them, as well as stone points.  Those are some very fine artifacts, museum quality stuff!  Were they really all from the same site?  The metal object you mention looks similar to a tool my friend calls a "lightning bolt".  He said they used them as awls for leather or even for a pressure flaker.  Next time you go, take a metal detector and a sifter!  What an awesome experience that must have been finding all of those!

Comment

Ya I'll never forget the day we walked into that. As far as going back. When we found these the land belonged to a Cattle co. And I just happened to work for them at the time and had keys to the gates and permission to hunt artifacts. Since then that land has gone to the state and they closed all the roads and of course no artifacts anymore. The site was just sand and blown out but it is possible that the heaver metal points were down in the sand. I do have a metal detector but I don't think I could walk into that site now that the roads are closed. Most likely 20 to 30 miles back into the hills. Roads are closed to pertect the wildlife. We used to be able to drive our Jeeps anywhere we wanted but now it's all closed. Times change sad.  Well thanks guys.

Comment

Here is a good story
                Columbia River Plateau – 7/8”L x 9/16”W – Dwain Rogers COA. - Classic to Historic Phase, 500-200 B.P. -This a G-10 calico colored gem made of agate, what nice colors to this well worked gem - As nice on the flip side - Great primary and secondary flaking – Found on Millers Island, Columbia River OR., in the late 1960’s by Charles -and- Barbara Carmichael – Charles stated “ All arrows were found by my wife and myself in the late sixties and early seventies. We found yours on the west end of Millers Island by screening in the water, usually in August when the Columbia River was warm, and the water and wind was in our favor. The waters of the Dalles Dam washed out the camp debris and were captured in a swell and we shoveled the sand and muck into our screens while standing knee deep in water. It was Tricky, but effective, and the arrowheads weren’t damaged by shaking in the screens as the water sluiced the sand out. They are still out there but illegal to collect from this area now.” – Ex. Charles Carmichael
                That is a very nice point, just love it

Comment

That is a great story and quite real!!! My dad and I used to do the same thing with screens in the river below Vantage. Hardest part was getting the mud up out of the water and into the screen. We used a car tire tube to float the screen. Then with a rocking motion washed out the mud. Many beautiful points like the one you show were found. I never was at Millers Island but heard about that site over the years we collected. As you know all the river is now closed to hunting artifacts and this is something that hurts us up here. Most of the local collecters are gone now and no new ones because of the closures of our Indian camps. We are different a little from what you guys hunt as most of our Indian camps are along the river banks. Love your point and thanks for posting the photo.   Ron

Comment

I can see why you guys are into those sweet little western arrowpoints, they are fine examples of pressure flaking and lethal true arrowheads. I collect Columbia River gempoints myself.
                    Around here and the surrounding states the true arrowpoints are mostly triangles. I really like the delicate pressure flaking and that they were used as true arrowheads in hunting and warfare.
                    My opinion will probably change soon but as of now these little Woodland and Mississippian triangles are my favorite. Here's a few from my collection. These are from Ky., Oh., Wv., and Va.

Comment

Look similar to our Talco, McNutt and Maud points here in Texas.
                      McNutt Point a Maud variant. Angus McNutt, dug these in a 16ft shaft burial, when Lake Bob Sandlin in Texas was was being dug. Dee Ann Suhm/Story was present when he excavated them. There were only 83 ever found. They were dug back in the early 70’s. There was also a foot long flat black Celt found with those. It had snake eyes incised in it, and the rattles carved on the end. The largest one is broken in the middle.

Comment

Makes you want to sneak in at night with night seeing goggles. LOLL

Comment

Wow Those are some great artifacts. Is it not interesting that points from across the country are so different one time and very similar another. Here are two Columbia triangles. Those other points graywolf is showing. Up here we have similar points that they call Mule-ear and most are knifes.

Comment

My Favorite points are flintridge Dovetail's. Love'em!

Comment

Cossatot River drill
                              I found on a construction site in 2005
                              Cossatot River  are found with Calf Creek and they are a type that is hard to find whole
                              2-5/8 inch

Comment

Working...
                              X