Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more I read about our "hobby", the more "Bumfizzled" I become. This thread, has about removed any real enjoyment that I might have derived, from taking part in this great forum, and our mutual interest in " Native American Artifacts". I got back into this hobby, after leaving it lay dormant, for a long time,. I wanted to categorize, determine it's worth, and enjoy it again. I will be passing it on to my son soon. My first artifact was obtained around 1937, and the latest one about 1965. I only know the positive location of where about 20% of them were found. That means, that my meager collection, gathered over a long period of time, could possibly be 80% "FAKE". At my age 87, I don't have the time, ability, or ambition, necessary to educate myself about this great hobby. It's becoming painfully apparent, that this hobby is, like all very popular hobbies, it's all about "MONEY", and the lengths that some entrepreneurs will go, to obtain it, even if it requires making "FAKE" artifacts..

Comment

Originally posted by Chubb View Post
      The more I read about our "hobby", the more "Bumfizzled" I become. This thread, has about removed any real enjoyment that I might have derived, from taking part in this great forum, and our mutual interest in " Native American Artifacts". I got back into this hobby, after leaving it lay dormant, for a long time,. I wanted to categorize, determine it's worth, and enjoy it again. I will be passing it on to my son soon. My first artifact was obtained around 1937, and the latest one about 1965. I only know the positive location of where about 20% of them were found. That means, that my meager collection, gathered over a long period of time, could possibly be 80% "FAKE". At my age 87, I don't have the time, ability, or ambition, necessary to educate myself about this great hobby. It's becoming painfully apparent, that this hobby is, like all very popular hobbies, it's all about "MONEY", and the lengths that some entrepreneurs will go, to obtain it, even if it requires making "FAKE" artifacts..
      Well, sorry to hear this, Chubb. I take it most of your collection consists of purchased artifacts? I will say this. This hobby is not about money at all. For me, it's been the many memories I have created walking fields and shorelines with my wife and friends. Most especially my wife. I can pick up a point or other artifact from our collection, and I can relive the moment she or I found it. I was doing just that earlier today. These are bittersweet memories, because I can't bring yesterday back. I can't bring back my youth. But the memories feel so good as well, I can remember our joy, the hugs we shared as we celebrated. It was only yesterday, wasn't it, where has the time gone. I can see all those wonderful parts of "God's country", the many scenic spots here in Rhode Island where our hunts took us. In a few weeks, I will be getting together with other collectors from southern New England, all members of this forum. Some I know, some I will meet for the first time. They are all go-getters, dedicated surface hunters, the younger generation to me, as my active hunting career is waning. My fault! We hunted out most of the spots closest to home, or Mother Nature in the form of coastal erosion took them away. I have some purchased artifacts, even a few fakes that fooled me along the way. Hopefully you can still enjoy them, and your son will enjoy them well into the future. I would not let this old thread get a body down so much. You enjoyed the hobby for many years, don't let anything spoil your own memories.
      Rhode Island

Comment

That's generally why I'm not too impressed with artifacts that are bought. If you or I found it, then I'm on board.

Comment

Very few of my artifacts were purchased, maybe five. The ones that I didn't find, in the field, were gifts from friends. I guess that it was the rude awakening, while reading about all of the the fake stuff out there, that spoiled a lot of it for me. Your right though, I'll just enjoy the hobby for it's good points. Sorry for the bitterness.
          Chubb

Comment

• SDhunter
            SDhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Chubb. Stick around. Jack is long gone, so don’t let his big story bother you. I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

Chubb do not worry about your collection I did not see any red flags when I looked at what you posted. Usually the fakes are high dollar points. Not field graade material. Good to see you decided to stick around and read some rather than leave us.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X