Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of what I've read about the Holcombe type places them in the states surrounding the Great lakes and into the northeast. There are several Mercer / Coshocton examples from Ohio in Hothems " Paleo Indian Artifacts ". I've got a few from Pa. and found two in WV.

Comment

Ryan
      Thanks for the info, will enjoy the education. That puts the Holcombe in the area.
      Jack

Comment

Ryan
        Doing a little research and the Holcombe is found northern Ohio, basal area is softly ground. I am learning something new. This is very good.
        Jack

Comment

Jack, This is the side view, hope this helps. Thanks

Comment

They are found in Michigan too.

Comment

I think Holcombe is what this one is after reading about the point type. I agree with Ryan -and- MacGrub about it being a Holcombe. Paleo point 10,400 to 10,000 B.P.
              Very good information on Holcombe type at www.ssc.uwo.ca/assoc/oas/points/holcombe.html
              Jack

Comment

Hey Paul...... 6 cases of beer and a 5th of Jack????

Comment

Yes Jack I was caught in the Humboldt trap as well, LOL first thing that came to mind when he said Holcombe. Well we have all got an education on this one, and that my friends is a good thing.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the input and research. I now own a Holcombe point!

Comment

Although the distribution maps posted here don't indicate it, Holcombe points are also found in New England.  A friend found one in Plymouth Co., Ma.  Also, Dr. Richard Gramly told me they are usually very thin, as thin as a Folsom. Jeff Boudreau"s New England typology states about 50% have fluting on one side only while others display basal thinning.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, Google "Michigans holcombe site", It is in Macomb co. Michigan and they mention a "Bull Brook" fluted point that is similar to holcombe found in New England. Never heard of this type before? Have you?? Mark.

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

Charlie, Google "Michigans holcombe site", It is in Macomb co. Michigan and they mention a "Bull Brook" fluted point that is similar to holcombe found in New England. Never heard of this type before? Have you?? Mark.
                          Mark, Bull Brook points are found mostly in New England and maritime Canada.  They are named for the Bull Brook site in Ipswich, Ma., located a few miles west of the Atlantic.  In surface area, Bull Brook is one of the largest paleo encampments known in North America.
                          This article gives a brief description with illustrations of the point type.
                          Charlie

Rhode Island

Comment

turkeytail wrote:

Mark, the first article at this link has many illustrations of Bull Brook points. The drawings are by William Fowler, who was hands down one of the best artifact illustrators ever....

Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                            X