This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wmwallace wrote:

Did you find those in Va. Ryan?? Interested to see how far the flintridge material was traveled or traded. I find it up here in NE Ohio and I estimate that it is a 4-5 hour drive to the quarry from my location. Guessing a river meeting of some sort. I don't think there is a more beautiful material in the U.S. than flintridge, but that is just my opinion.-Bill
      Bill, these are pieces I've acquired over the years, purchases and trades. I've never found a piece of Ridge to my knowledge. I've found some colorful lithics in both Va. and Wv. that look similar. In southeast WV  I found two small Coshocton preforms. I estimate those traveled around 300 miles or more from the source. Sonora would be my favorite lithic type, followed by Flint Ridge, and some of the high grade and exotic agates, and chalcedony in the PNW, just a personal preference and opinion. I've got a book on Flint Ridge artifacts and there's a section that describes outstanding finds and caches and there locations. If I remember correctly there was a cache of FR blades found in N.C. and into the northeast and in the Chesapeake bay area of either Md. or Va., it definitely was a well traveled / traded material.

Comment

Were did it come from Jon? Looks like hopewell or maybe gibson?

Comment

Hey Mark, with the longer notches that kinda resembles a fishspear to me on Jon's piece. That is a beauty, is it for sale Jon?? Need a heads up when you guys are gonna post on ebay, no fields to walk this year cuz of monsoon, so keep me posted!!
          Yes I did read about the one in N.C. Ryan. I would think to the knappers of the day it would have been like gold to the early settlers was. There is also a plum run material, that is really a deep blue in Stark Co. but the site has been destroyed by a century plus brick yard on the former site. That is truly sad.-Bill

Comment

Jon I just call it mine...how did you get it?
          Beautiful color! Gotta be my favorite color!
            jane

Comment

Jon I'd say Big Sandy E-Notch!  Thats me though..lol!

Comment

Pullenrock wrote:

What would you guys call this flintridge point from ohio?..pretty well knowns call it a hopewell...cant see it...whats you think? B)

I would think its closer to a sharpened down still well...could it be a hopewell sharpened down that much?...Jon
              I've seen several Hopewell points with a similar form, and it may be. The first type that popped into my head was Fishspear. Nice point though whatever the type. Thanks for the additions folks.

Comment

wmwallace wrote:

Hey Mark, with the longer notches that kinda resembles a fishspear to me on Jon's piece. That is a beauty, is it for sale Jon?? Need a heads up when you guys are gonna post on ebay, no fields to walk this year cuz of monsoon, so keep me posted!!
                  Yes I did read about the one in N.C. Ryan. I would think to the knappers of the day it would have been like gold to the early settlers was. There is also a plum run material, that is really a deep blue in Stark Co. but the site has been destroyed by a century plus brick yard on the former site. That is truly sad.-Bill
                What a shame. That Plum Run material is beautiful stuff, I know it's a sought after material amongst Ohio collectors. I've only been able to acquire a few pieces, if anyone has any authentic artifacts made of Plum Run or Pipe Creek that they are looking to trade or sell...shoot me a pm.

Comment

wmwallace wrote:

Of course its for sale Bill..its nice and thin and its an ex-Dr.Wright point in ohio if that means anything to you guys...Ive had it for a couple of years now.Never tried to sell yet..it is cool with the redish tip...one those that feels good in hand.I aquired thru Karl Kilguss,whom I know somewhat...shoot! that dude runs from me..lol...jon

Comment

Beautiful!  Your avatar is killer, Ryan!
                    Charlie
                    Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                    X