This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these anything?

found these along the illinois river. probably walked away with nothing but figured i would share with you guys to get your opinions.

Hey Jake, the first pic is hard to tell but looks like there is work on it. the second pic, still hard to tell but looks like it is natural material.
    The third pic......A Fishhook? you found that on the river as well?
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

thanks for the feedback chase. yes it was on the bank. i thought it might of been some part of an animal bone but then i saw the indentation at the top part so i figured it could be something so i kept it.

Comment

that fish hook is incredible. museum quality!you lucky lucky dude!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

thanks for the feedback jay!. so your saying it is something then? is it a common piece or rare? i just thought it was some part of an animals bone.

Comment

Nice finds. Can you take a pic of the otherside of that fish hook. Thanks.

Comment

thanks tate and yes i can

Comment

here is the back side tate

Comment

The bone fish hook is a great example :woohoo:   New Englanders like Jay and I don't have much chance of finding bone artifacts due to the acidic soil here. Jake, that's a killer example, my jaw dropped. Like Jay said, you are lucky. On some sites, they may be common, but all in all, not your everyday find.
                  Check this page out...

Rhode Island

Comment

i would say pretty rare, or at least uncommon. and its in great condition too!
                    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Based on where you found it, this is likely the culture period and are other examples. Your's is as good as any IMO.
                      Picture and description of ten u-shaped fishhooks from Illinois Kentucky and South Dakota.

Rhode Island

Comment

wow..i had no idea. i have never seen or really heard of them. this my first ever fish hook. i am from illinois so i dont know if there  common here or not. i heard about plummets but never seen these until now. i appreciate the feedback fellas and the links!

Comment

jaker wrote:

wow..i had no idea. i have never seen or really heard of them. this my first ever fish hook. i am from illinois so i dont know if there  common here or not. i heard about plummets but never seen these until now. i appreciate the feedback fellas and the links!
                            There's a guy who farms land in the Dakotas where thre was a Mandan village. He has a bone artifact collection second to none. Amazing stuff like highly polished pendants engraved with nice geometrics and images like the sun. Just super stuff, and fishhooks enough to fill a bucket. If you live in the right spot, in other words, you can make it look easy. I envy collectors who are able to put nice collections of surface found bone artifacts together. The rich soil out your way preserves bone very well.  I don't know the care involved with bone, but I guess I wouldn't keep it in sunlight. Fine bone artifacts are a treasure anywhere, really, you'll likely find far more points in your time. Other 2 pieces may be scrapers.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Thank you. I was wanting to see if it had the shape as mine at the bottom. I would say yours is better than mine. Oh well though huh. Just happy to have one. :laugh:  Thanks.

Comment

thanks charlie,tate and jay. heck in my opinion im shocked i even found this and in good condition. usually i find half broken points or any other artifact find is broken. im pretty certain all our finds here are awesome broken or not or what condition there in. just got to kepp looking for that one sweet find and all of us will find it one day! thanks again guys much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X