X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear head Adze Found in Glastonbury Connecticut

Bear head Adze Found in Glastonbury Connecticut
    Posted by [stumpman]:

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Hi there my first post. First off a little background info on the Adze and my father who found it. He found all 3 of the adze's together in a Glastonbury field in the 50's. My father used to be the Indian lore merit badge counselor for Ct. in the 60's ,I belonged to Boy scout troop # 156 in Glastonbury Ct. I sent pics to the curator of Fox Wood's and he believed it was from the Eastern Woodland era. Thinking on selling it and would like some info! Had some offer's but what would you do? Thanks for reading J

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13080.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	441434 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13081.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	441435 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13082.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	441436 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13083.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	441437 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13084.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	441438

Posted by [CMD ]:
    Welcome to the forum from RI! Being from New England, it would be hard to pry that effigy head grooved adze from my collection. I'm not an appraiser, so I can't really quote you a dollar value. Options include bringing it to artifact shows in the Northeast, nearest is probably Pennsylvania, or a well advertised artifact auction focused on the Northeast. Hesse Galleries in NY state runs quite a few such auctions periodically. The effigy adze is a very special piece. In general, there are far more collectors of arrowheads then ground stone tools. But, get a handful of well off New England tool collectors in one room with that piece and who knows. It's a rarity, very much so, and as such interest in it will extend beyond regional collectors to some degree. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by [CliffJ ]:
    That adze is very nice, and shows use wear in the pics. You could get a pretty penny for it, IMO in excess of $500+ to the right collector. Something like that you really have to show it around as CMD said, then after awhile the one that is supposed to buy it will pull out his money. So I wouldn't get in any hurry.
    However, if you sell it you will never replace it, it's gone. I'd have to pass it down through a few generations.

Posted by [rmartin]:
    Well I hadn't commented because I know little about artifacts from your area and was waiting for our very knowledgeable East Coast folks to weigh in first. You have a very rare and fine artifact there! I agree with Cliff and CMD, if it were mine it would never be for sale. Thank You for sharing it with our Forum.

Posted by [cgode]:
    I agree, there is no way that piece would ever leave my collection! Very rare and very nice, I wouldn't part with it for four times the amount Cliff stated. It is truely an irreplaceable piece.

Posted by [Missouri Mule]:
    Wow! I see and learn something new everyday on this forum. I had no clue that animal forms were incorporated into these types of artifacts. I realize they are not common, but are they found just in specific areas, or nationwide?

Posted by [turkeytail]:
    When I seen the title of the thread I thought to myself...Here we go again. Only have seen these in books. Thanks for a peek at it and hope you reconsider and keep it!

Posted by [shartis]:
    Killer piece! I believe if it left your family at some point you would regret it. Thanks for showing
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 08:40 AM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [stumpman]:
    I have no kids and no one to pass it on to. I know its a wild piece and I think its time to pass it on. I want to respect the maker and give it a good home. thanks for the info . I will wait and see . thanks J

Posted by [cgode]:
    It just so happens I'm up for adoption! ..... Dad :rolf:

Posted by [WildmanLivesOn]:
    I'll make the first offer of $300.

Posted by [Hoss ]:
    I have one a lot like that second one in your picture the third I do not see much is it Broken? Now the Bearhead that one is special. Very special indeed. I sent you a PM

Posted by [tomclark]:
    Looks more like a pike fish head or a frog head to me, LOL. Great piece :woohoo:

Posted by [CMD ]:
    Missouri Mule wrote:
    Wow! I see and learn something new everyday on this forum. I had no clue that animal forms were incorporated into these types of artifacts. I realize they are not common, but are they found just in specific areas, or nationwide?

I've seen quite a few effigy roller pestles from New York, not sure how widespread that practice was. In general, ground stone gouges and ground stone adzes are more common in the Northeast and Northwest then other areas of the US. Here's an effigy gouge from Massachusetts.

Name:	image_13085.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	441439

Posted by [stumpman]:
    All three were found in the same hole! He found them on a friends property , a fence post was knocked over and the three pieces were sticking out of ground that was pushed up, they were waiting for him, right place at the right time! one stone has been worked just a bit, the other 2 done. thanks Newt

Posted by [stumpman]:
    This is the rest of our collection, my father donated 6+ cigar boxes full to the town Museum, when I was away! He had alzheimers. Lucky he didn't give away everything! LOL Loved him, he was a true woodsman! I found the stone bowl in Oswego New York, 1962+- while visiting my aunt, it was in their stone wall. the rest were found around 1950s-60s in Connecticut. Some nice points ..Thanks for the info. Newt

Name:	image_13086.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	441440 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13087.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	441441 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13088.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	441442 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13089.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	441443 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13090.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	441444

Posted by [Hippy]:
    Very cool adze. I've never seen anything quite like that. I sent you a PM about it.
    Thanks for the look.
    Hippy

Posted by [Ron Kelley]:
    Tom do you have a nuke plant near your home. If I start catchin pike with ears I'm gonna move.
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 08:43 AM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [eagleclaw]:
      Did you let it go or keep it?

Posted by [rmartin]:
      Legit question eagleclaw but I doubt you will get a response. This member has not logged in for almost 2 years.

Posted by [pkfrey]:
      This adze is no doubt in the class of a " ceremonial " item. The reason I use " " is because modern collectors have coined this word for anything unusual, or made out of the normal for the same type artifact. We don't know if it was meant to be ceremonial in the mind of the Native American who made it. It shows very little use wear, if any that I can see, Normally the poll end, in this case where the bears nose is, will show quite a bit of battering from being hit with another object like a hammerstone, or sturdy sold piece of wood, or even bone/antler. It's very hard to value pieces like this, because there hasn't been enough of them sold in any of the markets to determine a consistent, average price. It's value would just come down to how bad any particular collector might want it. If someone wants it bad enough they may pay three times what it's realistically worth. That's not the way it should be, but that's the way it is.
      Paul RS Frey

Posted by [rmartin]:
      I do have an update. This is in the latest CSAS journal and now resides with an Illinois collector.

Posted by [CMD ]:
      I never forgot that piece. Just showing a photo of it to a friend recently. I really wanted to make an offer at the time. Had a gouge collection at the time, and that is a killer artifact. For a collector of New England hardstone tools, forget about it, as they say. I don't know what it's life was after this thread was posted, but I knew then all you needed was a few serious New England hardstone tool collectors, specifically gouge/adz guys, and get outta the way, lol....
      Thanks for the update, Ray!

Posted by [clambellies]:
      Unbelievable piece.

Comment

Working...
      X