Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!!

I can't believe what was found!!!!!! Clovis baby!!
    Posted by [argohunter]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2012 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

I can't believe what was found today!!!! Clovis baby!!!!!Well, we took a family trip to the lake this weekend, my 4 year old, my old lady, our puppy and me. I grubbed up a couple of Gary points and some brokes yesterday. We went back to the lake today. My girlfriend tried arrowhead hunting with me for the second time ever. Right off the bat she got a point with a busted tip. We moved spots and are some lunch on the beach. Me and my son started grubbing. Stephanie got upset because she had left her book in the truck. She crawled out in the water and set down beside me. She then made clear we wouldn't find anything because there were not any rocks there. Right after she said that she got a funny look on here face. I asked her what she bad found then held this point up and asked if she did good. I still can't believe she found this. Her 3rd arrowhead ever. I'm calling it a Clovis. Anybody else have another name for it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20739.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	441705 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20740.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	441706 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20741.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	441707 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20742.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	441708
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 11:26 AM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [argohunter]
    More pictures and the other finds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20743.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	441715 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20744.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	441716 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20745.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	441717 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20746.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	441718
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 11:27 AM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [Paleolution]
      WOW! That is a killer find, what luck she has! Sounds like a great day at the lake, and the finding a priceless relic is a nice bonus!

Posted by [11KBP]
      Very nice!

Posted by [gregszybala]
      Chris, great find and looks like you need to take her on every hunt!
      Not doubting you, but do you think it could be something other than a Clovis? Doesn't have the classic look to it.

Posted by [argohunter]
      gregszybala wrote:
      Chris, great find and looks like you need to take her on every hunt!
      Not doubting you, but do you think it could be something other than a Clovis? Doesn't have the classic look to it.

It could be something else. I've been told Clovis, Redstone, fluted Allen. It could be any thing like that. Do u have any idea on it? Thanks for the help.
      Chris

Posted by [panaggie]
      I don't believe it's Clovis. It's too far south for Allen and it's too far west for Redstone. What I do think you have is a class A Plainview. Super find and just an awesome piece. Thanks for the look. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on your piece. It is a super find.
      Thanks Bob

Posted by [Hoss]
      Nice point man. You Texas guys have all the luck!

Posted by [rmartin]
      I am no Paleo expert but if it was found up here I would call it Redstone and they are much rarer than Clovis. Whatever you decide it is a very nice one! Get pics and congrats to your Lady.

Posted by [Hoss]
      My first impression was Redstone too but then you are too far west. That point is a great find in any event. Keep us posted on your final opinion please.

Posted by [chase]
      no matter what it is that is one killer point.
      Chase

Posted by [CMD]
      Chris, first off, killer point. I'm no expert, but for the heck of it I checked one of my favorite referances: Stone Age Spear and Arrow Points of the Midcontinental and Eastern United States(1987) by Noel Justice. Here is what he says regarding the distribution of Redstone points: "Present information suggests that the distribution of the type is primarily confined to the South in an area including southern Missouri, northern Texas, and Alabama." He shows a distribution map, which includes northernmost east Texas. Does not include the panhandle. Also includes southern Oklahoma. From your profile info, it looks like you live in the part of Texas included. If his info is correct. Distribution map also includes most of Arkansas and northern Mississippi and Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky, southern Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. If he's right about Texas, it could be a Redstone as it sure does look like one.

Posted by [TatankaBlanca]
      Looks like a fluted Allen to me. The flute keeps it from being so many things that it sure looks like it could be. How thick is it? I'd say as another said a Plainview, but the flute keeps it "supposedly" from being a Plainview. I'd send it off to get papered by Rogers. Where did you find it? I think a couple of more pictues of your girlfriend holding the point might help us figure it out.
      Congratulatons,
      J.

and something to keep in mind when typing it is how deep that basal notch is.

One more thing, are we sure that is an intentional flute? Doesn't look quite as smooth as a flute should be. If its not, hands down Plainview. But, check out my sigpic. That is a Plainview. Looks quite different huh?

Posted by [greywolf22]
      Looks like a Kenny to me. These have slightly to deeply concave base and thinning of base can lead to flutes. Kenny is a middle Archaic point. It is not paleo.
      Jack

Posted by [argohunter]
      greywolf22 wrote:
      Looks like a Kenny to me. These have slightly to deeply concave base and thinning of base can lead to flutes. Kenny is a middle Archaic point. It is not paleo.
      Jack

I'm not seeing Kenny. I have not read anywhere about Kennys being ground and this point it ground higher up then the flute goes. Like 3/4 the way up. You can see a bump in the profile picture when the grinding stops. Id love to hear more.
      Chris

Posted by [argohunter]
      It is pretty dang thin. I'll take some cross section pictures tomorrow. It was found in limestone county Texas.
      Chris

Posted by [greywolf22]
      Kienny is not persay ground but the basal corners are often dulled and rounded over, which shows in your picture.
      Lewis says that Kinney is not found in the are you found it. Dr. Hester says Kienny found in Central and south Texas which is out of the range for Kienny.
      I would send it to Dwain Rogers and let him have a look over.
      Jack

Posted by [ksrocks]
      Whatever it is it's a very nice find Chris, Congrats!!
      Joe.

Posted by [Adena]
      WOW! That is a killer point! Congratulations on the wonderful find. I would tend to agree with the general consecus tho that it's not a Clovis, but some other kind of Paleo point. It is wonderful whatever kind it is.
      And your puppy is adorable. You should take her every time, she seems to be your good luck charm.

Posted by [argohunter]
      Just thought I would give this a bump. This point is still being talked about by people trying to figure out what type it is.
      Chris

Posted by [Hoss]
      I still think that it has a Redstone look to it. Have a look at the attributes of E in the illustration in this link.
      This website is for sale! allendale-expedition.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, allendale-expedition.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Link no longer working

Posted by [argohunter]
      Hoss wrote:
      I still think that it has a Redstone look to it. Have a look at the attributes of E in the illustration in this link.
      http://allendale-expedition.net/publications/23-131.pdf
      Link no longer working

Mine looks a whole lot like the point in figure E. Even looks like some of the same type of flaking to me. Thanks for the link.
      Chris

Posted by [rmartin]
      A friend of mine found a Redstone almost identical to yours years ago in Tenn.

Posted by [argohunter]
      I carried this point with me when Lewis and I set up at the Springdale show. I put it in the hands of some very knowledgeable people. The master of everything Matt Rowe really didn't know what to call it except a very nice Paleo. At the meet and great at Matts museum, I handed it to Jim Bennett. As soon as he held it he said it was 1 of the most classic Redstones that he had seen. Then when Itold him it was from central Texas he spent the next 15 minutes telling me what it wasn't. He was a great guy to meet. He made it clear that he couldn't call it a Redstone because of location but that he could not call it anything else. So the mystery continues. I guess Temple is next.
      Chris

Posted by [Bolen Bevel 1]
      Killer Redstone!!!

Posted by [clovisoid]
      Looks like a rebased clovis. Picture that being the top half of what was originally a larger point.
      The point snapped but the original owner had a tip and a base made of very nice material that could be resharpened and turned into two smaller dart points. It's one of the more common explanations for some of the variation in size between clovis points. The maker might have had to make a more indented base than normal while reworking the flat spot where it broke.

Posted by [Hoss]
      Isn't a Redstone a sharpened down Clovis? What Clovisoid says makes a great deal of sense.
      One thing for sure that is one sweet point. Your a Lucky guy to have found it.
      Hoss

Posted by [argohunter]
      Just an update on this point. I carried it to the temple Texas show and put it in the hands of several people including Rogers. Nobody could pin down a type. All that was determined was that it is very old. Lol
      Chris

Posted by [Hudson]
      Classic Plainview great find !

Comment

Posted by [CodyPost]
        I know this is an older thread but this point looks like a nice Dalton to me. With the large verticle flake scars on both sides and the area it came from is right in the middle of the Texas distribution area for Daltons. As a reference I used Stone Artifacts Of Texas Revised 3rd Edition by Ellen Sue Turner, Thomas R Hester, and Richard L McReynolds.

Posted by [Silent Rift]
        thats a sweet find myfriend

Posted by [argohunter]
        I am going to bring this thread back up because there was a lot of talk about the type. I had to sale this point last year but I goto to visit it at the Temple show a couple weeks ago. The point has been double papered as a Clovis. Dwain Rogers was one of the people.
        Chris

Comment

I've been looking at these old posts and came across this one. Definitely a Redstone, because of the shape and multiple flutes. And no Hoss, a Redstone is not a resharpened Clovis. Redstones are triangle in shape, have a deeper basil cavity, and always multiple flutes. Plus are much rarer than Clovis points. Awesome find!πŸ˜€

Comment

• JoshinMO
            JoshinMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoss is My Homie.

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            My comment was in response to what Clovisoid wrote. "

Posted by [clovisoid]
            Looks like a rebased clovis. Picture that being the top half of what was originally a larger point.
            The point snapped but the original owner had a tip and a base made of very nice material that could be resharpened and turned into two smaller dart points. It's one of the more common explanations for some of the variation in size between clovis points. The maker might have had to make a more indented base than normal while reworking the flat spot where it broke.

Posted by [Hoss]
            Isn't a Redstone a sharpened down Clovis? What Clovisoid says makes a great deal of sense.
            One thing for sure that is one sweet point. Your a Lucky guy to have found it.
            Hoss"

At the time someone had hypthosized Redstone was a sharpened down Clovis.I forget who it was that was saying this . It is neither here nor there. The Redstone does belong to the Clovis cluster according to Justice.

Very nice. I know it isn’t, but it resemble a Redstone. Congadulations finding what most people never find a piece of.

Comment

It very well could be Hoss. In my opinion a Redstone is a different type than Clovis. A close cousin though. Nice point whatever it is!πŸ˜€

Comment

Working...
            X