X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't see many of these.

Don't see many of these.
    Posted by [rockdigger]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Found this last fall but never posted it. Didn't know how common they were is why. Been a member here since September and have not seen another posted. Hope ya like. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20825.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	441811 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20826.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	441812

Posted by [NC_Stone_Collector]
    Really nice! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by [Dirty Joe]
    Awesome piece! No doubt that caught some fish in its day. BTW great pic.

Posted by [Bolen Bevel 1]
    Your right you don't see very many hooks!!!Killer.

Posted by [CMD]
    Rare to find complete, and that's a great find!

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Very nice, bone around here, na! Must be some interesting stuff coming out of that site.

Posted by [rmartin]
    CMD wrote:
    Rare to find complete, and that's a great find!

Rare to even find a piece of one! Super find!!

Posted by [SDhunter]
    That is a super cool to find. Congratulations and thanks for posting.
    There was a thread months back where people were doubting that fish hooks were used, but this seems to answer that question. Gary

Posted by [shartis]
    Great looking and cool find !!

Posted by [Jeffery Howle]
    SDhunter wrote:
    There was a thread months back where people were doubting that fish hooks were used, but this seems to answer that question. Gary

I believe they were used. but I have seen so much on the topic about how many are faked..How can you tell if they are so Rare that is for real?

Posted by [Chakotay]
    Wow!!! That's a great find!!! Thanks for sharing

Posted by [rmartin]
    Jeffery Howle wrote:
    SDhunter wrote:

I believe they were used. but I have seen so much on the topic about how many are faked..How can you tell if they are so Rare that is for real?

Fish hooks can be a hot topic. The last few threads on them was a discussion on modern ones made of flint. This one is made of bone and made correctly.
    http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gall...ybonelarge.htm

Posted by [Jeffery Howle]
    So if its bone it might be a fish hook....flint Never....Thanks

Posted by [pkfrey]
    Bone fish hooks are extremely rare, simply due to the fact bone will deteriorate or get eaten by rodents for the calcium content. Here's a few that took 40 years to find. There are three Jacks Reef related from N.Y.,( one hook, one hook preform, and bone gorge ) and the rest are Susquehannock related from Pa. Be very careful in purchasing bone fish hooks. The reproduction people out there are now using actual old, prehistoric pieces of bone and making them. But under a good scope, modern tool marks will be revealed. And do not purcahse any made from flint/chert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20827.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	441813

Posted by [rockdigger]
    When I found this the only hooks I had heard about were flint. And someone had told me flint ones were fake so I never expected to find a hook period. When I did find this thing it blew my mind cause I knew exactly what it was. One of my best finds ever. Thanks everyone

Posted by [SDhunter]
    rmartin wrote:
    Jeffery Howle wrote:
    SDhunter wrote:

Fish hooks can be a hot topic. The last few threads on them was a discussion on modern ones made of flint. This one is made of bone and made correctly.
    http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gall...ybonelarge.htm

That's right Ray, they were flint ones. Thanks for reminding me. Gary
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 12:15 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X