X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz Scrapers

Quartz Scrapers
    Posted by [CMD]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2011 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

There's a field we walk in RI where 95% of the points found are of the Wading River type. Of those, 99% are made of quartz. The example in this frame is a hair over one inch. Although the type ranges from Late Archaic into Late Woodland, this particular site is strictly Archaic. But what really makes this field unique in our experience is the great quantity of quartz scrapers we have recovered there. I suspect most collectors would always prefer a nice intact point over a nice intact scraper. That said, we've really learned to appreciate quartz scrapers as a result of walking this field, as so many are well made. Every one has been quartz. I found a decent one Sunday that I posted in the in-situ catagory. And I thought I'd post a few here for those of you who enjoy seeing quartz artifacts.
    Charlie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20847.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	441843

Posted by [rmartin]
    Nice frame Charlie. Thanks for sharing, Ray

Posted by [greywolf22]
    That is a nice collection of quartz. I like the material.
    Jack

Posted by [turkeytail]
    Nice Charlie! Common in your area, kinda rare up here.

Posted by [Butch Wilson]
    Nice Charlie, droolin' here !
    Butch

Posted by [shartis]
    Great bunch of scrapers. You would feel right at home around here in S.C. with the quartz

Posted by [itwasluck]
    Very nice color on those Charlie. I dont find many here in Georgia in that color of quartz only a couple to date so far. Mostly black chert and quartzite here. I like to see the tools the best. Probally cause that is most of what I find.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Those are nice Charlie,the top right one is pretty cool.

Posted by [ZmajSnoshaj]
    That's a spectacular frame! I never see much of that beautiful white worked material, if it's white it's novaculite and usually a big weird looking piece.
    I like the way you've arranged the pieces.
    Thanks for sharing! )
    ~Noah

Posted by [CMD]
    Thanks very much, guys! Yeah, I think quartz is actually a good lithic for points and scrapers, being hard, durable, and quite sharp edged. On the other hand, it's a pretty tough material to work and was probably widely used in areas where it was just too common to ignore and/or where the choice of other easier to knapp lithics was limited, such as in southern New England, South Carolina, and elsewhere.
    Charlie
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 12:51 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
Working...
X