X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Knives

Square Knives
    Posted by [RyanVa]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2011 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20848.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	441845 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20849.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	441846 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20850.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	441847 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20851.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	441848 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20852.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	441849

Square Knife / Square End Knife / Rectangular Knife
    Paleo - Historic
    Here's a few square knives from my collection. Second pic is Ohio examples, two Coshocton, one hornstone, the colorful piece is Pipe Creek material.
    Third pic is two Kentucky pieces, sonora , uniface sonora, the small example on the right is from In.
    Fourth pic, two paleo examples.
    Feel free to post yours here.

Posted by [Weepingeyegorget]
    Those are really nice.. I like the Sonora one.. The pipe creek is pretty to

Posted by [ksrocks]
    Very nice artifacts Ryan, beautiful material & workmanship!
    Joe.

Posted by [cgode]
    Man, do you find some nice stuff or what!....very nice materials and artifacts ryan, thanks for the pics.

Posted by [greywolf22]
    Nice. I like square knifes. These are made of some very nice material.
    Jack

Posted by [turkeytail]
    Great knives Ryan! Love the one with the bullseye.
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 12:55 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [RyanVa]

Name:	image_20853.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	441851 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20854.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	441852

Appreciate the comments fellows. Here's another I found on a late paleo ridge campsite years ago. We found alot of uniface tools scrapers and knives there. Points associated were lanceolate types and unfluted fluted types. Unfortunately broken.

Posted by [tomclark]
    Super nice Square Knives, there!!!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...areknife-1.jpg not found
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...quareknife.jpg not found

Posted by [RyanVa]
    Nice early example Tom. Suwannee are a paleo type right? Seems like the paleo square knives stick out from the rest, thin with nice pressure flaking. Thanks for the addition.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Those are sweet you guys, would love to find a full one of those.

Posted by [Hoss]
    Thats some nice flint! what is the material of the first point in the third picture with what looks like a bullseye?

Posted by [rmartin]
    Fantastic Post Ryan. Great stuff! Thanks to everyone else, I love threads like this. This is one of my favorite artifacts and that really good one has eluded me-but I will find it. Ray

Posted by [RyanVa]
    CMD wrote:
    Ryan, those are flat-out fantastic examples! Great materials too. Here's one from Kansas, don't know the material.

Name:	image_20855.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	441853
    Charlie

That is a great piece and really nice material. thanks for sharing that one.

Posted by [RyanVa]
    Hoss1958usa wrote:
    Thats some nice flint! what is the material of the first point in the third picture with what looks like a bullseye?

Thanks Hoss, that is Sonora flint / chert from central Ky. It outcrops in Hart and Hardin counties. That is one of my favorite pieces of Sonora.

Posted by [RyanVa]
    rmartin wrote:
    Fantastic Post Ryan. Great stuff! Thanks to everyone else, I love threads like this. This is one of my favorite artifacts and that really good one has eluded me-but I will find it. Ray

Thanks Ray. I really like these forms as well. I'm still looking for a nice large drill like the ones you've found multiple examples of. I've found my share of small ones but a big 3 - 4 + inch drill is elusive in these parts it seems.
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 12:56 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X