X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Hopewell Relics

Copper Hopewell Relics
    Posted by [Weepingeyegorget]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2012 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

Here is some of my copper relics, in the top corner are a Copper Celt from Wisconsin and Copper Earspool from Michigan.. In the lower corner is a copper celt preform of gouge from Illinois and in the other corner is a Copper Serpent Effigy (possibly a dangle) from Scioto co. Ohio.. In the center is a Flintridge Chalcedony Hopewell Ross barb from Ohio.. and also a frame of Hopewell relics collected from the MANN Hopewell site in Posey co. Ind.. and below that are some hopewell pieces im buying drilled canines from the MANN SITE also

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20865.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	441869 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20866.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	441870 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20867.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	441871

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Nice Lance, pieces like that are few, especially in personal collections!
    I wander 3 different mound sites and have yet to find copper, but have seen some great pieces come out of one of them.
    Top point, is it Quartz?
    thanks for the show.

tip of a hopewell blade either chalcedony or agate.. the two point surronding it are Knife river flint from North Dakota.
    Not anywhere close to indiana.. I got some obsidian bladelets from the site also.. One guy said they found crystal quartz
    bladelets, and half of what would be an 8" biface of clear quartz there on the mann site, they said it was still 4" broken
    in half hard to imagine.. Yeah, it's hard to price this stuff... Thanks

Posted by [farmerwayne]
    Lance, like Greg I've never found copper relics . Those you have are awesome. And the canines are from what animal? Keep that stuff coming please!
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 01:06 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

the teeth Im still buying.. But, the smallest ones on the end coyote or fox
    The bigger ones BEAR, the two center maybe from Grizzly bear
    At the MANN site Grizzly teeth have been found.. I'll have to show them to someone who know's there bears teeth.. Usually, the grizzly teeth I've seen look the same just a little large than black bear.. And usually they are drilled multiple times.. Single drilled was most common in Archaic and Mississippian.. Multiple drilled are a sign of Hopewell culture.. and are usually more valuable..

Ok.. Obsidian and broken Biface, 3 bladelets from MANN SITE POSEY CO> IND very rare
    Hopewell Copper Breastlplate Scioto co. Ohio Museum quality my best piece of copper
    Blurry photo- Copper Beads, Copper Fishhooks, copper rings, copper stand shell beads Fleming co. KY
    Drilled Canines, bear,fox,coyote various locations

Name:	image_20868.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	441874 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20869.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	441875 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20870.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	441876 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20871.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	441877

since I had to drag out some of my hopewell stuff.. I figure I would snap this piece also.. you said keep em coming lol
    This is a piece I got from Cliff Jackson.. I know he's on here so he probably remembers it..
    From New Boston area of Portsmouth Scioto co. Ohio.. These are rare cliff! I could not believe you got rid of it!!
    Good, thing you sold it to me I live about 30 minutes from were it was found! THANKS!

Name:	image_20872.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	441878
    Last edited by painshill; 04-13-2020, 01:07 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [gregszybala]
      Thanks Lance, enjoying the show! Good stuff!

Posted by [farmerwayne]
      Lance, I can look at that stuff all day long thanks.

Posted by [CMD]
      Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by [rmartin]
      Very nice artifacts! Hopewell is almost non-existent in my area of Central Illinois. I do have a friend that owns a site that we dug years ago and a few copper pieces were found. I really enjoyed seeing yours and that is an awesome display of drilled teeth.

thanks.. I am planning on getting some more..

Posted by [Dallred]
      Excellent collection. I especially like the copper fish hook! Time to get a metal detector! Lol thanks!

Posted by [Hoss]
      Awesome display Lance thanks for the show. I love that pot.

Thanks,, yeah that pot is a hard one to find.. Most of the pottery you see if from arkansas.. Any other states is much rarier.. Anyone like canine teeth I am listing these 3 on my site for $10 a piece I'll put a link on my store check it out..

I'll be adding some new stuff soon.. check it out

Posted by [chase]
      Fantastic, thanks! need I say more, thanks Lance.

Comment

Working...
      X