X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bifurcates

Little Bifurcates
    Posted by [rmartin]

Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2011 but was compromised when the forum software was updated, and so has been re-created manually.

One of my favorite point types are the little bifurcates. Early archaic period. Here are some personal finds from Central Illinois. Longest is 1 1/2 inches. Ray

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...yartifacts.jpg not found

Some more. Longest 2 inches

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...tifacts224.jpg not found

Posted by [itwasluck]
    Those look great, what kind are they as far as a name? I you said the period they came from.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Wow, Nice Ray and all personal finds, have only come across two myself. It would be fun to have found that many.

Posted by [cgode]
    I agree with Greg, it sure would be fun to find that many!!!!.....lol........nice points Ray, thanks for making me jealous!! :laugh:

Posted by [Hoss]
    Here is a personal find from my collection the uni faced knife was with this when I found it. This one is a little guy and I say it's a Lecroy. Some may disagree because it is not serrated but that just makes this point even more interesting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_20668 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	442788

Posted by [rmartin]
    itwasluck wrote:
    Those look great, what kind are they as far as a name? I you said the period they came from.

Most in the first pic are Lake Erie. the ones with the pointy legs. The middle center of the second pic is Lake Erie I think and it is my wife's best find. In the first pic, top row 2nd and bottom row far right I don't have a clue. I found another like them this year. There are really only 3 bifurcates the the second pic. The other three have incurvate bases.

Posted by [itwasluck]
    I have a spot where I find points made from flakes of quartz. They have a indentation on the base but round. Really no stem to speak of and are only about 1 inch or less in length. I cant find them anywhere on the net as to what to call them. I have found Early Archaic items in the same spot, so I guess they are from the same period. Its funny cause they seem to fall down from one spot on a hill but I can never find anything on the hill before it rains. They only show up after it rains. Must of been a camp in that spot. Its only about 10 ft of space and I have found so many things there. I am waiting for summer to go back to that spot.

Posted by [rmartin]
    I would say Lecroy Hoss. In my 2nd. pic, I would say top left and bottom right are Lecroy.

Posted by [rmartin]
    Here is a close up on my favorite.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...tifacts147.jpg not found

Posted by [cgode]
    That's the one that stood out to me the most Ray, do you think it was bigger originally and has been reworked???

Posted by [itwasluck]
    Very nice work on that one! Must of been real a expert that made it.

Posted by [gregszybala]
    Now that is pretty, amazing little points!

Posted by [CMD ]
    One of my favorite styles as well, Ray. They are rare in these parts, only have a few in all our years of looking. That's a nice collection, thanks for the look.

Posted by [Hoss ]
    Is that single point in your hand a Lake Erie? Love those serrations and incurved blade edges.

Posted by [rmartin]
    cgode wrote:
    That's the one that stood out to me the most Ray, do you think it was bigger originally and has been reworked???

Chris, I do think it has been resharpened a time or two. Hoss, it is a classic Lake Erie. Ray
    Last edited by painshill; 04-14-2020, 03:02 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Posted by [shartis]
    Some from S.C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20669 [r].jpg
Views:	322
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	442790 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20670 [r].jpg
Views:	327
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	442791 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20671 [r].jpg
Views:	297
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	442792 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20672 [r].jpg
Views:	336
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	442793 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20674 [r].jpg
Views:	318
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	442795 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20673 [r].jpg
Views:	335
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	442794
    Last edited by painshill; 04-14-2020, 03:09 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [TSUMS]
      Here are some bifurcates that I aquired..... a really nice Mccorcle and a nottoway river...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20879 [r].jpg
Views:	338
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	442797 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20880 [r].jpg
Views:	265
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	442798 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_20881 [r].jpg
Views:	264
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	442799
      Last edited by painshill; 04-14-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X