Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite lithic materials?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted by [Claycald]

I really like rootbeer !

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17444 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	443151 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17439 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	443152 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17440 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	443153 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17441 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.1 KB ID:	443154 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17442 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	443155 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17443 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	443156
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [Ron Kelley]

I have to say that Catlenite (Pipestone) is a favorite lithic. This lithic was prised by the ancients because it was easily worked by grinding and drilling. This stone was so prized that it traveled long distances from the sourse in Minnesota.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CatlinitePipestoneMinnesota1a [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	443158 Click image for larger version  Name:	CatlinitePipestoneMinnesota1b [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	443159

Kentucky point commented
      01-24-2019, 04:43 PM

You know what Ron, just across the river is a boatload of that stuff. I need to go looking for some.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [chase]

Just moved this into the Best of the Best Threads. I think with a little work we should work on getting this into the Info Center.

Wow! Thank you all for all the Lithic's, Great thread Kyflintguy

Comment

Posted by [clambellies]

I have no idea what the lithic is, it was found in Central Mass. and I've never seen this material on any other local site.

Click image for larger version  Name:	greennevillec-2 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	443164

Comment

Posted by [Gater]

Awesome pictures.... :cheer:

Comment

Posted by [Amateur] (Banned)

"unknown chert from central New York" looks like Munsungen (from northern Maine but found sometimes as far south as Pennsylvania).

Comment

Posted by [Kansas Creekwalker]

I was deciding what my favorite material.is and I picked a couple. That was before I viewed the pictures you guys posted......now I have 20 or more new favorites.......Thanks for the pics. everyone!!!!

Comment

Posted by [Havenhunter]

Okay, Ron, you've made your points!!! 😍😍

Comment

Posted by [Kyflintguy]

Let's see them folks, many new members here, let us see what materials you hope to see sticking out of the ground!

Comment

Posted by [Kyflintguy]

I found this chunk of material last summer on a job site. With some research i figured out its from the Knox Chert dolomite. Its very unusual and I don't believe ive seen an artifact made from it, although it knapps fairly well. I managed to knock off a couple of flakes to work but never really was able to do anything great with them...

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28206 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	443173 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28207 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.1 KB ID:	443174

Comment

Posted by [gregszybala]

Beautiful material. Does it fracture easily and uncontrollably? Looks like it.

Kyflintguy commented
                        06-04-2017, 04:58 PM

I didn't really have the right tool with we when I cracked the rock open to have a look Greg. Just a chunk of sandstone. This portion was actually fairly predictable but I figure this stone is probably degraded somewhat because it was a little brittle if that makes sense. There was many other nodules of Knox Chert Dolomite, mostly dark Grey, but it was all so fractured and brittle that one strike rendered a cobble into a pile of chunks. Most people just think of Knox as the typical shiny black Chert but it ranges from light greys with white all the way through Black and can be banded, the cortex is usually tan, brown and with the best stuff almost white...

Comment

Posted by [Tam]

I don't even know where to start . Hats off to flint. These are the most amazing photos .Hoss you need to go public with this thread and let the world see these . You could make a hard cover book and it would sell like crazy ... just saying

I personally don't know any collector that would not want this for a coffee table / reference book . This would give any off the books out there a run for the money . Wow .... wow

I know what I am doing over coffee tomorrow . Thanks to all the real pieces each of you collected .

Kyflintguy commented
                          06-09-2017, 12:19 AM

Well what's your favorite lithic? Get a good pic and share!

Comment

Posted by [Tam]

Josh, flintguy ... I cannot even come close to any of these lithic materials on this thread which is my favorite by the way good job !!!But in Southwest Georgia I love the red chert ... it just catches my eye and I pick up every little flake or a point if I get lucky .. the blood reds with some yellow .

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29320 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.3 KB ID:	443185

SurfaceHunter commented
                            01-25-2019, 05:35 AM

I like the red to but don’t find much of it

Comment

Posted by [Kyflintguy]

That's some interesting chert Tam, maybe someone can help us with what type of Chert this is. Thanks for sharing!

Plenty of New members here now, lets see some more interesting lithic materials!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29322 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.0 KB ID:	443187

Comment

Posted by [Jethro355]

Originally posted by Ron Kelley
                                Nephrite Jade from Washington State is one of my favorite lithics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NephriteJade [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	443216

Are those beads, Ron??

Ron Kelley commented
                                07-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Hey Jason, I just got back from my road trip. Yes they are very nice ancient beads. They are biconically drilled with the drill holes meeting in the center. I have 40.

Comment

Working...
                                X