Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favorite lithic materials?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posted by [fldwlkr]

Flint Ridge Chalcedony and Carter Cave are way up on my list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_26909 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.9 KB ID:	443220 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29329 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	443221 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29330 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.6 KB ID:	443222

SurfaceHunter commented
    01-25-2019, 05:37 AM

Is that yellow the true color? No yellow here that I have found other than quartz

fldwlkr commented
    01-25-2019, 02:35 PM

The "yellow" image is a light behind the point showing the lithic's translucence. The first image shows the same point without back lighting. Nothing that yellow in my collection either. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

SurfaceHunter commented
    01-27-2019, 03:09 AM

That’s okay I was hoping it was yellow

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [saguache] (Banned)

I have larger tools of Colorado petrified wood that's at the top of my list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29802 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	275.8 KB ID:	443225 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29804 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	301.3 KB ID:	443226 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29805 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.5 KB ID:	443227 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29806 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	378.9 KB ID:	443228 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29807 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.2 KB ID:	443229

Hoss commented
      08-03-2017, 12:14 AM

These are not tools they are just large chunks of petrified wood. Pretty material but to call them tools is false in my opinion. By the way this stuff is poor material for knapping mast of it tends to cube out when you try reducing it.

saguache commented
      08-03-2017, 01:43 AM

Hey Hoss, not so fast on your judgment. If you had them in hand you'd see them for what they are...tools. Rocks shaped by human hands that are designed for use at a task at hand. I've been looking at stone here for 50 years & would agree that pet wood isn't the best for the material of choice but theses were found in a cache situation and are a group of beautiful/unique pieces/...tools. Just shows what an moron you are.

Hoss commented
      08-04-2017, 07:28 PM

Well since you self destructed and are banned now you will no longer be able to tell your side of this ridiculous story. Shame on you for taking the road less traveled. We encourage everyone to post their finds here. However when a rock is a rock we will let you know. Pet wood will be found in piles that is where the tree died. No one stashed it there. A tree died millions of years ago and the became pertified over time it fell to pieces in place. That does not make it a cache of tools it is a pile of pretty rocks. That is all!

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Posted by [Tam]

I don't want to go to a book for this . This southeast area is new to me . How do all you people know what are all the different cherts . Caters cave etc .

It just rolls off your tounge . Wow .

so is that even chert I posted . In Georgia they say the reds with iron can be Jasper ???

I saw cliffs of chert online and in Georgia .

what causes all the different names ?

Differnt minerals?

Kyflintguy commented
        07-25-2017, 10:51 PM

Resources on chert types are limited Tam, but you can check out lots of different lithic materials in our information center here.

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...materials-gc71

Knowing lithic materials is just a matter of research and learning.The origins of chert type names vary but many are named by the geologic formations they are associated with. Its possible you have some Jasper in the photo you provided. Hope that helps!

Comment

Posted by [Tam]

Yes thank you Josh , perfect going to the site now . Your right though I do have to research . I grew up in Cal and can name every animal rock flower . Now Hawaii got that , now a new chapter is opening and man it is so foreign with the lithic .

btw good call on the coral . I'll get a pick some day of a layer site over lava . Crazy looking

Comment

Posted by [Sugaree]

My favorite NC Piedmont lithics are crystal quartz and flow banded rhyolite. The two chips are green meta siltstone maybe one day I'll find a point made of it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30018 [r].jpg
Views:	141
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	443236

The other brown chip is my favorite lithic from outside my area Knife River Flint.

Comment

Posted by [Sugaree]

My favorite NC Mountain lithics are Black Knox chert and Gray Knox chert? These are imported from Tennessee. My favorite local lithic is the red quartzite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_30019 [r].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	443239

Comment

Posted by [chase]

My bad I think without going back over the years I have seen lots of material what I find there is many but it is what is close that works the best I have one I seek it is clear quarts I have chips but I envy Dennis

Comment

Posted by [Ron Kelley]

My favorite cherts for knapping points and blades.

1. Hornstone from Kentucky and Indiana
                  2. Georgetown Blue Flint from Texas
                  3. Tiger Chert from Wyoming
                  4. Knife River Flint from North Dakota
                  5. Horse Creek Chert from Tennessee

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30137 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.0 KB ID:	443247 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30138 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	443248 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30139 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.3 KB ID:	443249 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30135 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	443250 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_30136 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	443251

Kyflintguy commented
                  07-29-2017, 10:17 PM

Hard to disagree with that top five list Ron! Awesome lithics and pictures!

Ron Kelley commented
                  07-30-2017, 12:06 AM

Thanks Josh, This five require no heat and all are tough stone.

SurfaceHunter commented
                  01-25-2019, 05:22 AM

I didn’t know horse creek chert was in Tennessee. North or south section? I’m not far from there. I’d pick that any day, beautiful stuff

Josie commented
                  01-28-2019, 01:03 AM

the Horse Creek Chert is unbelievable!

Last edited by painshill; 04-15-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Posted by [Kentucky point]

Bump! Great thread guys! Hey, I am heading up to Pennsylvania in a week or two. Do any of you know what lithics I could find in Central Pa? Say, Schuylkill county?

Comment

• Posted by [tomclark]

This thread needed a bump. One of the very best threads. We know and love our local material and this is a good resource thread. My finger would fall off from all the Likes I'd have to give all 7 pages of this thread. Consider all Liked, boom.

Comment

• Posted by [SurfaceHunter]

Some pretty material in this maybe tomorrow I will add some of my finds

Comment

• Posted by [SurfaceHunter]

Okay I will try to show some. Ridge and Valley chert is my favorite type which I find here in north Georgia. Comes in many colors but I prefer the black multi colors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54285 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	443258

SurfaceHunter commented
                          01-28-2019, 05:50 AM

Nice pieces kp I wanted to share more but I think my phone server called out sick it was tough just to get the one pic

Comment

• Posted by [Kentucky point]

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_49323 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.8 KB ID:	443262 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_49706 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	443263 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54321 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	443264 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_48864 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.0 KB ID:	443265 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54322 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.8 KB ID:	443266

Carter Cave chert is one of my favorites. After that, I'd say Paloi.

Broken Arrow commented
                            01-29-2019, 01:02 AM

I find that stuff in the 3rd pic on the sites I hunt.

Comment

• Posted by [BillSmith]

I was gonna start a new thread but I see KP has given this one a revival. Thanks Eathan! This all is really very informative. Conglomerates are probably my favorite lithic because they contain some of the best of many types of lithics found in a given area. The one most common to my area (northeastMS) has a black matrix with a high amount of yellow Jasper. I don't have any points made from this but I do have a few examples of scrapers. Funny (to some) story, I took a friend to a camp where I had hunted extensively and found a lot of this kind of debitage. I had explained that it was my favorite lithic and if ever I was to find a conglomerate arrowhead, that I expected to find one there. Within 20 minutes or so boom, HE found one! A nice, thinish, Woodland stemmed point, probably a knife, about 2". He had just gotten into collecting and has since went on to fill up a few cases. I'm glad to have helped him get started. We have since grown apart but every time I see him he asks if I've found one yet! I don't even have a picture. Now on to the rock. This stuff is obviously hard to knap so I'm sure arrowheads are rare to find but I have seen a few and even a few large tools including chisels and axes. If anyone has examples of conglomerates, please show them!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54794 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	443271 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54793 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	443272 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54795 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	443273 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54792 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	443274

Comment

• Posted by [CMD]

This Jack's Reef Corner Notch is made of the only example of oolitic chert I have found in Rhode Island. The lithic is from Pa.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_54941 [r].jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.3 KB ID:	443277

SurfaceHunter commented
                                02-09-2019, 12:18 AM

Interesting material

Comment

Working...
                                X