Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone-tipped spears predate existence of humans

An article in PLoS ONE said they date to 280,000 yrs. I just read this on fox news (science). This is awesome

:huh: what the hell :blink: sooooo....who made em" then?im not even gonna botha readin the article,sorry.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Huh? Now how does that work?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Aliens ?

Comment

BIGFOOT!...excuse me,SASQUATCH!! hmy:
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

What the heck, I have seen video of animals making and using simple tools.
            Is it really that unbelievable that Early Hominids might have made a crude spear point?
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Remains of the world’s oldest known stone-tipped throwing spears, described in a new paper, and so ancient that they actually predate the earliest known fossils for our species by 85,000 years.

This is garbled, misinterpreted, sensationalist rubbish from Fox News. When they use the term "humans" they are talking about anatomically modern humans (ie Homo sapiens), generally regarded as having reached the evolutionary point of modernity about 200,000 years ago. That's the point at which (up to now) we had the first evidence for complex stone blades from modern humans with flaked edges which were used as spear points.
              It doesn't mean that there weren't other, earlier hominid/hominin ancestors of H. sapiens making spear points in earlier times.
              Archaeological evidence from Germany documents that wooden spears have been used for hunting since at least 400,000 years ago. A study in 2012 suggests that Homo heidelbergensis may have developed the technology about 500,000 years ago. Those very early spears likely had the ends sharpened and fire-hardened but no lithic tip.
              It is however well established that Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis or Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) were making stone spear points from as early as 300,000 years ago. The evidence suggests they were used on short, stout stabbing spears and not thrown as projectiles.
              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

What Painshill said!!  :cheer:

Comment

Working...
                X