Oldest Human DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest Human DNA

And a face only a mother could love. Who were the Denisovans?
    DNA from a fossil in Spain most closely matches another extinct human lineage, Denisovans, whose remains have been found thousands of miles away in Siberia.

Rhode Island

So much we don't know.
    Interestingly, other studies have shown that around 5% of the genome of Melanesians (from Papua New Guinea/Bougainville Island) derives from Denisovans.  It must have been introduced by migration and probably no earlier than 50,000 years ago. There is other genetic evidence that Denisovan ancestry is also shared by Australian Aborigines, and smaller scattered groups of people in Southeast Asia, including the Mamanwa of the Philippines.
    Current data suggest that Denisovans once ranged widely over eastern Asia (interbreeding with other hominins principally in mainland southeast Asia) and that their descendants were part of the early human migration to Melanesia. The pattern suggests that they probably crossed the “Wallace Line”, which separates the ecozones of Asia and Wallacea (the isolated group of Indonesian islands separated from the Asian and Australian continental shelves by deep water straits) and that Wallacea was the last remaining refuge of their remnant population.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
    X