Some Favorite Places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Favorite Places

Pardon me if I seem to be a travel guide here but I want to share some of my favorite places. Back in the 90's my wife and made several trips to the Southwest focusing on the Four Corners area. Our primary concern was Anasazi Ruins and there is no shortage of them. There are an estimated 2 million sites in the four state area. I am going to start with Chaco Canyon. Chaco is in southern New Mexico. There are several major ruins in the Canyon including Kin Kletso and Pueblo Bonito. Please excuse the pics, they are scans of old 35 mm photos.

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Pueblo Bonito is the largest at 880 rooms.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Ray, headed to Tucson over the holidays, might be taking some time up that way to see some of these amazing sites.
        The size of some of those Kiva's is amazing (3rd to last pic).Many years ago took the family on a road trip and spent some time in some of these sites. One in Farmington, NM. had a Kiva which had been reconstructed, the construction of that just blew me away.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great photos, Ray! My favorite area as well. Can never get enough Anaszai ruins in gorgeous settings. I hope you do get up north of Tucson, Greg. Don't know what the Winter tours are like, but the Navajo lead half day and full day trips into Canyon de Chelly that are the best. Wupatki National Monument north of Flagstaff is super as well. Pueblos on a scrub plain surrounded by extinct volcanoes. Here is a photo of the main ruin of Wupatki:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-17 [replaced].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	218294

That circular structure in the far distant right is the ball court, the furthest north of any Mesoamerican style ball court. The foreground circular structure is the Kiva.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X