Cahokia was a Melting Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cahokia was a Melting Pot

New research indicates that at any given time during it's existence of several centuries, approximately 1/3 of Cahokia's population was made up of immigrants to the urban center.

Rhode Island

Thanks Charlie, Interesting read. I guess the number
    of people in Cahokia was the biggest surprise to me.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

i can believe it. not that i know much about it, but i can envision it being multi-cultural,just like almost every other city across the world thru out time.its basic humanity,people follow people and move to were theres opportunity.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thanks for that Charlie. I have been to Cahokia many, many times and will be there again Saturday, I will try to get some new pics of the site!
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Thanks for that Charlie. I have been to Cahokia many, many times and will be there again Saturday, I will try to get some new pics of the site!
            Great! Here's another story:
          A sprawling city in the heartland of the United States was a cultural melting pot hundreds of years before Europeans ever set foot on the continent.

Rhode Island

Comment

"more than 100 deer that were cooked and consumed in a single event."
            Now that's my kind of party. Here at my place we have a big party
            and cook a whole deer: Small potatoes compared to a Cahokia party.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

[QUOTE]CMD wrote:

Originally posted by rmartin post=116396
                Great! Here's another story:
              A sprawling city in the heartland of the United States was a cultural melting pot hundreds of years before Europeans ever set foot on the continent.

Charlie and whoever else is interested....I took over 70 pictures at Cahokia on Saturday. It is going to take me a few days to sort things out with the pics I already have so keep an eye out for it. I am also going to lock the thread until I am finished.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
              X