Humans and Sloths in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humans and Sloths in SA

Don't know if they used Sloth Slayers per se   This discovery was in the news recently. This article lets you see the bones and butchering marks.

"Megafaunal extinction in the late Pleistocene is a topic of great academic interest that also arouses ethical issues, due to the proposed impact of humans as its possible cause. Evidences on human-megafauna interaction are scarce, especially in South America, where this issue is entangled with the debate on the date of human arrival. Here we present the results of two radiocarbon datings of material found in a site in the Arroyo Vizcaíno, Uruguay. One of them was a rib and the other a clavicle, both belonging to an extinct giant mammal, the Pleistocene ground sloth Lestodon. The clavicle shows human-made marks. The analyses yielded consistent results, between 28 and 29 kybp, a much older age than predicted by the present paradigm of peopling of the Americas and from currently accepted datings, which cluster at about 12 kybp."
    Rhode Island

Posted by [GarScale]:

28 and 29! Wow!

Comment

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the link to an interesting read.
      I kinda get lost in the scientific evidence but that story
      leaves me wondering how this finding can be debunked.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That is pretty cool.  A lot of these really early dates in South America are easy to discard by themselves, but Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay have produced a lot of different sites with butchered bone at really early dates.  Not much as far as biface tools, but lots of cores, blades and butchered bone.  (The Pedra Furada rockshelters in Brazil are the most well known, but similar butchering marks on extinct animals.)
        I have a trip to Uruguay coming up later this year, I might have to make contact with those Archies and pay them a visit.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X