Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obsessive and Destructive Artifact Thieves???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsessive and Destructive Artifact Thieves???

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

"The main reason for collecting Native artifacts given by Arrowheads.com, however, points to a more visceral urge among enthusiasts and provides an entre to the darker side of the hobby. “Enthusiasts are attracted to the strange world,” tops the list of motivations for the collector."
    Translation: who knows? The statement is meaningless. I like arrowhead collecting because I am attracted to strangeness. I see. Gibberish!
    Greg wrote a letter to the editor over this crazy statement. Maybe he can post it here...
    Rhode Island

Comment

Good lord tom. If its not bad enough. I seen that scene in breaking bad and it didnt seem like he meant ancient artifacts though he didnt specify nor did the other guy ask. Dont think i seen one point in that show though all i watched was a cinematic recap somebody put together/make whole series understandable within matter of hours. And I watched something about the real walter white, no "artifacts" in that either. :dunno:
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

JoshinMO wrote:

Good lord tom. If its not bad enough. I seen that scene in breaking bad and it didnt seem like he meant ancient artifacts though he didnt specify nor did the other guy ask. Dont think i seen one point in that show though all i watched was a cinematic recap somebody put together/make whole series understandable within matter of hours. And I watched something about the real walter white, no "artifacts" in that either. :dunno:
          Fantastic series and I don't see that scene saying anything more then meth heads can be extremely compulsive. No need at all to assume it was a veiled reference to digging for artifacts. Another needless low blow.
        Rhode Island

Comment

"Many tribal people maintain that the practice reflects not only a deep cultural hegemony of European conquest and entitlement over indigenous peoples but also demonstrates a peculiar urge to accumulate that reflects contemporary acquisitive culture. “It’s about greed and the same sense of entitlement that led to the depopulation of indigenous peoples from North America in the name of Manifest Destiny,” says Henrietta Mann, Cheyenne, who is president of the Cheyenne and Arapaho College in Oklahoma."
          There is something called "collector mentality". It takes a dedicated collector to understand that. Let's say you collect stone axes. Periodically, you will have the urge to add to your collection. You will, in other words, need a fix! Tired of the nice axe you bought in January, time to get another. Acquisitive. That is an accumulative impulse. But, does anyone here honestly feel they have entitlement over Native American artifacts? Some kind of moral imperative that makes those rocks in the ground the white man's and the white man's alone? We conquered the hemisphere, so the artifacts are now rightfully ours by Manifest Destiny? Give me a break and stop inventing motivations that exist only in someone's imagination.
          Rhode Island

Comment

CMD wrote:

But, does anyone here honestly feel they have entitlement over Native American artifacts? Some kind of moral imperative that makes those rocks in the ground the white man's and the white man's alone? We conquered the hemisphere, so the artifacts are now rightfully ours by Manifest Destiny? Give me a break and stop inventing motivations that exist only in someone's imagination.
              Well put Charlie!
            Sent to the editor of Indian Country:
              From the article, People of the Dirt:
            " The main reason for collecting Native artifacts given by Arrowheads.com,
            however, points to a more visceral urge among enthusiasts and provides an
            entre to the darker side of the hobby. "Enthusiasts are attracted to the
            strange world," tops the list of motivations for the collector. "
            Where did that come from or who did that come from?
            I am a member at Arrowheads.com and have never seen a comment like that and
            if it was posted the author would be soundly chastised by the site and it's
            members. Also not likely a representative on that forum would make that
            comment.Sloppy and irresponsible reporting by your reporter and in my
            opinion libelous. Truth and honesty will go much farther than lies in your
            attempt at gaining support for this situation which is occurring illegally
            across the country.
            Greg Szybala
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
            X