Collecting VS. Archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting VS. Archaeology

Just a bunch of old points (etc.) are strewn about almost everywhere and We have learned much through archaeology, but what for? They say knowledge is power, The power of knowing man hunted mastodon is quite interesting, I always have this image of a fella running after a mastodon, anyway what can we do with this history we know of? Write books,build museums or just use what has been learned to plan more archaeology? What blows my mind is how old (thousands of years) some of these artifacts are is what mainly interests me, knowing someone else long ago lived off the land and "this" is what they left.
    But sometimes I wonder whats the use or the point. I take ancient artifacts seriously, so much so I dont call collecting a hobby as that seems to make light of collecting items so ancient. But I dont understand the seriousness of protecting ancient artifacts from being recovered and enjoyed by all.
    It is morally wrong for some people to recover artifacts by some's opinions but depending who the group is or why they are doing so, at least thats the impression people give.
    Anyway one way of looking at it is theres a bunch of old pointy tools/weapons people made long ago and we may as well find them.collect,sell,pass down or whatever. I doubt there will be any discovery on these sites that will bring man eternal youth or cures for disease. Anyway I do appreciate the seriousness of archaeology and I do hope it continues for future discoveries but maybe its a subject (too many geeks) people can lighten up on in the future, just maybe.
    Never forget the natives, just not a big deal.
    Sorry for rant. :laugh:
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Logical rant Josh. Well said.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
    X