Jessie Besser Museum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessie Besser Museum.

Rather large museum in Alpena Michigan. Wanted to say something but the wife told me to keep my mouth shut. :dry: But it is why newer collectors post this c**p.

I estimated 20% of the relics on display where modern repos.

You are right Mark! I once went into a museum in Southern New Mexico that housed what was probably the most intensive collection of Mimbres pottery in the country. Incredible collection. Right in the middle of the display was a flint thunderbird! Well long story short, they just about threw me out of there
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

You are right Mark! I once went into a museum in Southern New Mexico that housed what was probably the most intensive collection of Mimbres pottery in the country. Incredible collection. Right in the middle of the display was a flint thunderbird! Well long story short, they just about threw me out of there
        It is sad. I wanted to say something but Camiel gave me "The Look"  :kiss:

Comment

• dougachim
        dougachim commented
        Editing a comment
        The is one off I-25 that had 3/4 of a real nice Folsom with a real pointy different material archaic tip glued on it. I know the museum you are talking about, they do have some nice Mimbres. The boss lady there asked me how I liked her museum one time and I told her it was nice but she needed to remove the modern replica pottery from her Casas Grandes display. She said they were all good. I showed her the fakes she got mad and said it didn't matter they were just Mexican pots anyway. A lot of her Mimbres bowls were dug in Chihuahua way back.

That's just poor execution. .. mis information is in plentiful supply, its a shame to see it in a museum, where people believe they are seeing the real deal!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Wow, what a shame and you couldn't say a word? Maybe a letter when Camiel isn't looking?
        Pitiful when a museum can't get it right.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
        X