Le Griffon has possibly been found!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Griffon has possibly been found!!!

Very exciting news I heard today about a Shipwreck that happened in 1679 in the great lakes that is suppose to be considered the " Holy Grail" of shipwrecks. The ship was actually shaped like a Griffin! I have been on Lake Erie many times for bass tournaments and have picked up sunken ships on my fish finder but I was never out that far where the old shipping "canal" was. I can't wait to see what they recover!

Thanks for the heads up....

Rhode Island

Comment

From Wiki:

… Le Griffon may have been found by the Great Lakes Exploration Group but the potential remains were the subject of lawsuits involving the discoverers, the state of Michigan, the U.S. federal government, and the government of France. Originally discovered in 2001 near Poverty Island, Michigan sonar has shown an object approximately 40 feet by 18 feet (similar to the dimensions of Le Griffon) located under several feet of sediment. In July, 2010 the Great Lakes Exploration Group issued a press release stating that they, the state of Michigan and France had reached agreement to co-operate in the next phase of an archaeological site assessment for identifying the shipwreck. After years of legal squabbles the Michigan Department of Natural Resources issued a permit and on June 16, 2013 an underwater pit was dug allowing US and French archeologists to examine the object for the first time. They discovered a 15-inch slab of blackened wood that might have been a human-fashioned cultural artifact. On June 19, 2013, teams of scientists determined the wood pole discovered was not attached to a ship, after it came loose and was placed on the lake bed during an excavation. They concluded it was likely a bowsprit dating from a ship hundreds of years old, although some think it was a common pound net stake used for fishing nets in the 19th century. At the time, no other wreckage was found, but scientists noted other wreckage may not be far away.
      On June 23, 2014, Steve Libert told the Associated Press he believes he found "Le Griffon" in Lake Michigan after extensive searching, in a debris field near where a wood slab was found the previous year.
      On December 27, 2014 two divers, Kevin Dykstra and Frederick Monroe announced the discovery of a wreck that is almost certainly Le Griffon, based on the ornamental griffin still visible on the bow:
      Two divers say they have found “Le Griffon,” a 17th-century sailing ship widely considered the “holy grail” of shipwrecks. The ship was lost in the depths of northern Lake Michigan over 300 years ago. The divers said they found Le Griffon in 2011, but are just announcing the discovery because they were consulting experts to […]

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
      X