The La Jolla skeletons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The La Jolla skeletons

Anyone interested in the peopling of the Americas may find this article interesting.
    It involves an issue that has inspired a great deal of debate and emotion in recent years.
    SAN DIEGO — Two ancient skeletons uncovered in 1976 on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, during construction at the home of a University of California chancellor, may be among the most valuable for genetic analysis in the continental United States. Dated between 9,000 and 9,600 years old, the exceptionally preserved bones could potentially produce […]

Rhode Island

Will take a look. I like stuff like this.
    Jack

Comment

I would study then rebury them. To much information to be had here.
      Jack

Comment

greywolf22 wrote:

I would study then rebury them. To much information to be had here.
        Jack
          Works for me. I hate seeing knowledge lost when it's right there to be discovered.
        Rhode Island

Comment

You gotta wonder what is really going on there. A university that isn't interested in what can be learned from these skeletons, doesn't make sense. Campus politics?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

You gotta wonder what is really going on there. A university that isn't interested in what can be learned from these skeletons, doesn't make sense. Campus politics?
              I think there's a good dose of political correctness as well.  Native Americans were the first Americans, therefore any ancient skeleton uncovered belongs to the tribe living closest to that discovery, regardless if there is in fact any relationship at all. This is the legacy of NAGPRA.  Museums should return human remains and grave goods, but the peopling of the Americas is a very open question as to who really were the first to arrive here and where did they really come from?  And so in this instance, political correctness, or even petty campus politics, is derailing the advancement of knowledge regarding the prehistory of the Americas.  IMHO.
            Rhode Island

Comment

People? The article talks about the Alaskan site and the cooperation between the tribes and scientist, yet there is none in San Diego and tribe spokesman doen't trust the university. If that is the case you can understand his reluctance. But just don't understand the humans inability to sit down together, discuss and interact, and come up with a plan that works for all. Come to think of it though, I am talking about the white mans interaction with Native Americans.

Comment

Having read the article, I interpret it as being a question as to, "Who owns the bones?"  I see it like this.  Before anyone knew the bones existed, the only soul having claim to the bones, was the being to whom gave life to the bones.  Without life, the bones are bones.  At some point and time, the Earth claimed the bodies; of beings that were once  flesh and blood.  Thus, belonging to the Earth.  The founders of these skeletal remains, having uncovered them from the Earth, should return them to the Earth.  Studying the remains would be an asset to mankind.  Without study, what gain is there?  Imagine, 9,000 years ago!  The origin of these people, whatever the case, could actually be discovered!  Then there's the issue of, "respecting", the bones.  I, "wonder", how do you respect bones?  In my mind, the answer is quite clear.  Educate this world of peoples that were a part of all of our pasts...not just those who claim to have been descendants.  How do they know?  Proof is essential in this case.  Take it from there.  What an awesome discovery this would be for all!

Comment

Pam, could not have said it better.

Comment

110% agree with you Pam!!!

Comment

CMD...Thanks for sharing the link. Very interesting read!
                      Pam... it's like I told you on another thread...are minds are as one and think in the same direction. I agree with you completely on everything you said...couldn't of said it better myself.
                        jane

Comment

Heartfelt and right to the point, Pam!
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
                        X