Glacial Archaeology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacial Archaeology

Wow, it's a whole new world and new branch of archaeology...
    As glaciers retreat with warming, evidence of ancient peoples is revealed. Artifacts are evidence of daily life 7,000 years ago.

"Stone age artifacts including weapons, shoes, walking sticks and mittens -- abandoned in the mountains of Norway many thousands of years ago -- are being revealed as mountain glaciers melt and retreat, researchers say."
    The race to find, and save, ancient artifacts emerging from glaciers and ice patches in a warming world

"The cryosphere is the area of the earth that remains perennially frozen in the form of permafrost, glaciers and sea ice. As climates continue to warm and sea ice and permafrost retreats pole-ward, glaciers are receding and ice patches are shrinking. Some of these features contain unique archaeological finds that have remained frozen and well preserved for hundreds and even thousands of years. The earliest documented archaeological remains from frozen sites were discovered at the beginning of the 20th century. The best known glacial find is the Neolithic man of Hauslabjoch (Ötzi), found in the Tyrolean Alps in 1991. However similar glacial discoveries have been made in both the 20th and 21st centuries on a number of sites around the world. These include melting ice patches and glaciers in the Yukon, Canada, Alaska and Norway, Swiss, Austrian and Italian Alps, as well as important discoveries in the Andes, Urals and Greenland. As awareness of the potential these regions increases, important frozen objects continue to be recovered from newly discovered sites elsewhere. These frozen sites and finds as well as the methods and theories involved in their identification, excavation, conservation and display are the subject of this journal."
    Rhode Island

The Emergence of Glacial Archaeology:

Rhode Island

Comment

Very interesting read Charlie,  I missed my calling. I'd love to be out there making discoveries myself.  Thanks for sharing those links, I always  enjoy them!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

what an amazing window into the past! shame about the circumstances though....
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

what an amazing window into the past! shame about the circumstances though....
            Yes to that, an amazing opportunity, but a shame
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The next 20 years in Archaeology are going to be interesting.  With so much permafrost and ice covering huge areas of areas bordering the Arctic (Russia, Alaska, Canada, Northern Scandinavia, Greenland) I'd say it's a solid bet that there has to be some paleo aged remains with clothing, tools, tattoos, hairstyle, stomach contents etc. frozen up there....
            If some unfortunate hunter managed to drowned in a bog, or almost any burial scenario that involved burial or sinking the body, has an excellent good chance of leaving behind a wealth of information that doesn't exist for much more recent cultures.  The issue is finding them in such a huge area.  The Russian nomads who collect ivory routinely find well preserved ice aged megafauna, the problem has always been the isolation and difficult nature of thawing and excavating the dirt in the short window of field season.
            Siberian Tattoos from Ice Princess (2500 years old)
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
            X