Something that has always bothered me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something that has always bothered me

My Grandmother was a dedicated artifact hunter for years until she passed away in Austin,Tx...We would talk about hunting and she also knew a lot of artifact hunters also.She even told me of a man she knew that had discovered an Native Indian baby and dug it up and actually took it home.He had in displayed in an aquarium in his livingroom and would charge people to go see it.This is  very disturbing to me.Very disrespectful and I couldn't believe what she was telling me...She said people went over to see it all the time.People that go this far are ridiculous.Just the thought of it makes me sick.

Yes it is sad but old time collectors would bring them home and display them . Just as recently as last year  a collector up in Indiana had one removed from his house. There was another removed from a auction just recently too.  Pretty sure they found the auction one to be civil war era and not Native American. The auction house did the right thing though.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Just so disrespectful and sad.

Comment

I agree, very disrespectful. Hopefully with help from more knowledgeable and ethical collectors, atrocities like this will become a thing of the past....not to mention the threat of hard time.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

For me I am surface collector. I have no desire to own, collect, or dig. One of a saying we have for certain perfect artifacts that are first stage and perfect, we call Big Eyes artifacts, referring they maybe grave offerings.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It was quite common 100 years ago for human remains to be uncovered by plows and land clearing. Such remains were curiosities in a time when archaeology was new, and when archaeologists gathered remains to study. At the time, collecting and displaying remains was accepted and even encouraged as a "science".  I knew of several collectors that had skulls on their mantles or whole skeletons on display.
            This was accepted in the past but is not anymore. It is in bad taste to collect human remains, besides now being illegal. But we cannot judge the past based on today's "advanced and enlightened" outlook. Many bad things were tolerated in the past that are now just a part of the evolution and history of man. Most modern humans would be appalled by many of the conditions and customs of our past. We would also be appalled by many of the current customs and conditions of most third-world countries, but does that make them wrong?
            Without this evolution of man, a rocky ascent at best, we would not be where we are today. Some people think that it is disrespectful to collect arrowheads, and one day they might get their way. Archaeology "bothers" them. All that we can do is learn from the past- from the mistakes and the science as well- and not judge the past from our modern viewpoint.

Comment

Archeologists in Maine used to go through red paint burial sites like buzz saws through wood.Their techniques were less than desirable. In my opinion when your on a known site that has been previously disturbed.The only difference in surface hunting and digging is the dirt and the labor..mjm

Comment

Something just doesn't sound right with that story at all. :blink: Yeah, that's kind of sick
                http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Not good. A number of years ago, we notified a Native American newsgroup of an eBay seller selling prehistoric human skulls, but from SA burials. Man, talk about s**t hitting the fan. Word spread as it can only on the Internet. The seller wound up getting raided by state and federal authorities. Prior to that, we contacted the same newsgroup to notify them of a major natural history auction with a human skull featured on the auction catalog cover! They went after him, and he claimed. "Oh, it was just for publicity; we would never have actually auctioned it off!" Yeah, right! We knew him, he had every intention of selling it. It was a North American skull. Needless to say, that Native American group was very grateful to us for alerting them. And it was my wife who pushed it. She kept saying "we've got to stop these auctions!" We did!
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Some people just don't "get it".They lack moral's,Spitituality or just don't have respect for ancient past lives :dunno: . Actually I know of a guy that owned a resale shop and was bragging about all the stuff he had been getting and selling on ebay.. He said something about human bones, I didn't "change gears" though I just said something like I didn't hear that and he had a puzzled remark something like huh or why  :laugh: , forgot what happened from there but I could tell he had no respect for the ancient people that had made the artifacts we were talking about. He's kind of a jackwagon or jerk for that. And obviously didn't understand the kind of trouble he could get in.
                    Most will have an attitude and make light of people's feelings about it or crack jokes about ghost's or something. It's folk's like that who need a GOOD SCARE. But I would rather know it was an unexplainable force.    Spirit's.
                    SERIOUSLY!

Comment

A few years back while Surf Fishing on an outer Cape Cod beach during a super low moon tide I was standing on some exposed layers of ancient peat beds.  I noticed a rib bone sticking out of the peat and started peeling the layers back.  It was a complete rib and then I found two vertebrae.  They really looked human, and it creeped me out.  The shoreline there was once a mile or more out to sea, and the peat deposit probably came from a tidal lagoon behind a barrier beach. 
                      I re-buried the bones in the peat, and left them to the sea.  Later at home I did some research on anatomy and feel that the bones were certainly human.  They could have been from the ancient Nauset NA's or possibly one of the thousands of sailors who perished on the dangerous Cape Cod shoreline.

Comment

Very interesting story...I would have been scared but I definitely would of reburied them where they were.My hope is to never bfind any bones only artifacts.I have to admit that I am curious as to how the natives were buried and what was buried along with them.That is as far as I would go with that.Great story!

Comment

while out "lookin" i bumped into a guy who was crabbing the mud bank, we where along a brackish river that at one time had a large native population living along it. the guy tells me he grew up right in that neighborhood and has been playing along this stretch his whole life, i tell him im looking for artifacts, he tells me he's found a few over the years, then tells me one time he was crabbin same as he was then, and he scooped up an old human jaw that was stained completly brown. i said "whatcha do with it?" he says" tchh,i threw it right back in!" he said over the years he'd also found what he thought was a leg or arm bone and a rib,he guessed they were all native bones so he just chucked em" all back , and rightly so.that'd be some BAD JU-JU!  he figured,and i agree'd, that they probably eroded outta the bank at some point further up stream. if i ever found bones and could tell they werent modern i'd throw em' back too!
                          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

It's pretty simple. Rest in Peace.

Comment

Even though I recognize the information obtained from graves, I also have problems with the professional field collecting and displaying mummies, etc in museums.  I find it somewhat hypocritical complaining about amateurs after reading about the techniques applied by the founding fathers of Archaeology and the hoarding of such remains by various museums.  I support the dig, record, return method of archaeological study when it comes to such things.

Comment

Working...
                              X